Author Topic: Detroit game cancelled men's basketball  (Read 2173 times)

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Detroit game cancelled men's basketball
« on: December 28, 2021, 07:33:33 PM »
Covid on the Detroit roster .   Penguins host Defiance tomorrow.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Detroit game cancelled men's basketball
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 08:30:20 PM »
Completely predictable. Players leave the sheltered and closely monitored team environment and go home for the holidays. A few return infected and wipe out large segments of their team.

I am quite sure that the Horizon League will adjust the policy and declare this game as a "no contest."  That is fine with us. Our odds of winning in Detroit were not high.  So no losses with the first three road games in the books.  I will take that.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 09:09:35 PM »
Completely predictable. Players leave the sheltered and closely monitored team environment and go home for the holidays. A few return infected and wipe out large segments of their team.

I am quite sure that the Horizon League will adjust the policy and declare this game as a "no contest."  That is fine with us. Our odds of winning in Detroit were not high.  So no losses with the first three road games in the books.  I will take that.

Yep...I would have bet money this was going to happen with the Detroit game; would have rather it happened with Oakland though.  Even though I think YSU could have beat Detroit, it's a team YSU has struggled with.  Outside of the 3 straight wins in 2019-2020, YSU has only beaten Detroit in 2011 & 2014 going back to December 31, 2009.  YSU has lost 23 of the last 28 to Detroit. 

Defiance is a D3 school and their record is 4-6.  They've played 2 D1 games losing by 52 to Miami (OH) & by 49 to Bellarmine.  Lost to PSU Shenango by 4...yikes.  They have won their last 3 non D1 games.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 01:41:02 PM »
Here's the story on Detroit https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/2021/12/29/detroit-mercy-mens-womens-hoops-cancel-next-two-games-due-covid/9040182002/

So the men's games are cancelled and considered no contests, while their women's games are forfeits...interesting. 

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile