Author Topic: YSU 71 Canisius 43  (Read 3622 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU 71 Canisius 43
« on: December 11, 2021, 04:48:02 PM »
Largest numerical victory in the Calhoun era.   Mayes & Olison combine 1 of 10 but no problem the bench came in and produced.

Luke Chicone had 6 points and more important 8 assists.  Very cerebral running the offense.
Dwayne Cohil had 18 and 11 rebounds. Looks more confident every game.
Owen Long 4-5 from the field with two 3s for 11points.
Chris Shelton was 3 of 6 for 8 points.
Akuchie 12 points on only 7 attempts.

Great team win with many minutes from the bench.    Got to say the transfer portal has been good to YSU  this season.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU 71 Canisius 43
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 05:02:36 PM »
Chicone and Cohil continued to be impressive. Mayes stayed on the bench after making one of his turnovers ( forcing his way into the middle committing an offensive foul). I think coach was sending him a message.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 05:06:46 PM »
Can't tell if this team is good or bad but they are a few bad minutes away from being 8-1 on the year.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 05:51:02 PM »
Can't tell if this team is good or bad but they are a few bad minutes away from being 8-1 on the year.

I guess we will find out after WVU game.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 05:57:33 PM »
I think the transfer portal and freshman recruits have really helped us from last year. DQ and Naz are gone. But to replace DQ we have Luke Chicone and Mayes at the point with Dwayne Cohill driving to the basket. I think this years group compared to DQ is better at driving to the basket and shooting from the outside and mid range also.  Naz was great inside but with Akuchie now inside he may be a little less of a presence inside, but a better shooter, especially at the line. And Akuchie is not a good 3 point shooter and by him being inside he isn't taking all those 3's. And he is more athletic inside.  And Tevin Olison outside in his spot we have a good outside shooter who will drive to the basket much more than Akuchie in past years.  The real significant additions are Olison and Cohill as replacements for DQ and Naz.  Others are a plus also.  We will see as the season goes along how we compare to the top of the league. I thnk we are better offensively and defensively.  Too bad we lost Covington who would have been great to add to this group.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 11:20:39 AM »
Chicone now has a ridiculous 6.3 to 1 assist/turnover ratio.  For Mayes it is 0.8 to 1. I think that we see who will be the primary point guard as we move deeper into the season.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2021, 12:11:48 PM »
Chicone now has a ridiculous 6.3 to 1 a$$ist/turnover ratio.  For Mayes it is 0.8 to 1. I think that we see who will be the primary point guard as we move deeper into the season.

Chicone has made some terrific passes in the last few games. I like him better not only because the assist-TO ratio, but that he kept his eyes open for making passes to teammates while penetrating toward the basket.
When Mayes was driving to the basket, he often determined to go to the basket regardless who were in front of him. In many cases, he either turned the ball over or committed a charge.

That is not a good attribute for a point guard.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2021, 02:16:31 PM »
I remember some comments about Chicone when he was in high school who said he was too small/ not good enough for this level.... Oops.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 04:15:47 PM »
I remember some comments about Chicone when he was in high school who said he was too small/ not good enough for this level.... Oops.
Well, he still needs to improve on his FT shooting for this level, Lol

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2021, 06:42:19 PM »
Well, he still needs to improve on his FT shooting for this level, Lol

I watched several of his hs games and I linked some them last season on this site and he was automatic at the line.  I'm sure he'll go on a tear as the seaon progresses.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2021, 09:12:30 PM »
Even though Canisius entered the game at 2-8, their first 4 losses were to 4 very good teams (Miami, East Carolina, St. Bonaventure & Cleveland St), and the biggest deficit was 12.  Their biggest loss had been 14 twice to Monmuth & Cornell.  YSU really made them look like a D3 school.  Throw in too that YSU started off slow, missed some good looks and really should have had a bigger lead early. 

It's hard to believe YSU's first ever win over Canisius would come in such dominant fashion.  I saw it stated that was the largest numerical win in the Calhoun era; however, his first win was by 88 over Franciscan so maybe it meant to be against a D1 school. 

Chicone has done a nice job handling the ball and running the offense...seems like he rushes his FT shooting, not sure if that's his technique or not, but he's just 5-10 this year.  Shemar seems like he has been forcing things too much of late.  Hope he gets out that funk.

Wish Hunter could get going.  Have to wonder how much longer he'll continue to start.  Chris Shelton and Daniel Ogoro have picked it up of late.  Jacori Owens looks like he has some potential.  Will be anxious to see him improve over the years.  You have to wonder about Will Dunn.  Seems like he's regressed.  Need to get him some work against Westminster.

Few major things I really like about this team...very athletic, great FT shooting (76%), and really play like a team that's close and unselfish.  I can now see why Covington was so apt to stick with the team after his injury and some of the comments pre-season how close of a team this was.  They're really learning to play together as a team as the improvement has been fun to watch