Author Topic: 2021 Football Recap - Spring and Fall  (Read 3023 times)

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
2021 Football Recap - Spring and Fall
« on: November 23, 2021, 01:05:22 PM »
Time to recap the season! Overall, I would give the program a C+ for a final grade.  There were definite highlights to the season and low lights that in many cases, over shadowed the highs.  The fact that 6 teams from the MVFC made the playoffs tells everyone the conference is legit for FCS and the sets the bar for competitive football. Even if they are watered down.  The fact that we beat 3 playoff teams is a plus. We should have been 6-4 this season! The team never quit all year, unlike teams from the Pelini era.  I like what I am seeing in Crenshaw, but we need a solid back-up that offers that same 1-2 punch of being able to throw and run when Crenshaw is not in the game. Having a back up that is one dimensional is an issue and defenses can tee off on the QB.

We have to make sure Jaleel does not leave, rumor has it he is looking to be invited to the NFL Combine?? Not sure that is true but whatever he does, we have to make sure he does not enter the portal, AGAIN! Would like to see two back sets but I will complain about that forever - would also like to see Crenshaw under center more!!

We will need to replace some WR and a tight end.  Tight ends are killers and we need to utilize that position more!

Recruit, Recruit, Recruit and live by the portal and die by the portal.  Have to find OL and DL now to stabilize those positions into the future.  If we want to compete and beat UNI, SDSU and NDSU - the OL and DL have to put on 40 pounds across the board and move like tight ends.  We will not be able to compete in this conference until that happens.  A great OL makes a mediocre RB look great.  If Jaleel had a solid and consistent OL - he would have doubled his yardage!!

Coaching can always be improved and hopefully this staff learned a lot about the MVFC and what it takes to win  in the meat grinder of a schedule. The offseason is when championships are won.  The staff has its first full offseason, let's see how they do!!  I say we need 10 D1 transfers to make an impact next year until recruits can step up.  Pelini era lack of recruiting set this team back 4 years.  I like what DP is doing, heard is out the next two weeks recruiting and hitting it hard and traveling around to get the bodies he needs to win. I like the schedule next year - no UNI or SDSU - time to take advantage of that!

GO GUINS!!

THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Football Recap - Spring and Fall
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 01:34:50 PM »
I agree with much of what Stick said, especially the need to fortify the roster with select transfers. One remarkable accomplishment of this team was overshadowed by all the losing.  We were perfect in the red zone, and most of the scores were touchdowns.

Take a look at next year's schedule.  With modest improvement, there is no reason that we could not win all six home games.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 03:47:58 PM »
We need to get bigger and faster and get some bulldozers on the offensive line.  Defensive line as well. Till we get strong up
The middle we won’t be a top tier team in the MVFC.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 04:10:11 PM »
I agree with Stick on just about everything. I too always like those thunder and lightning backfields. We had them from 90-96. We also had them for several years under coach Montgomery.

I am not sure, but I do not think #8 can transfer again.

Not sure I am completely with you on the QB situation. A tall QB (with arm and vision) that can get outside is just as effective (with 2-back sets) if mot more so. Not convinced there is ever going to be top-rated medium-to-deep passing out of Crenshaw.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 01:49:26 PM »
I agree with Stick on just about everything. I too always like those thunder and lightning backfields. We had them from 90-96. We also had them for several years under coach Montgomery.

I am not sure, but I do not think #8 can transfer again.

Not sure I am completely with you on the QB situation. A tall QB (with arm and vision) that can get outside is just as effective (with 2-back sets) if mot more so. Not convinced there is ever going to be top-rated medium-to-deep pa$$ing out of Crenshaw.

MVFC Freshman of the year!!  Can't argue with that!  I like what he brings and I think if given time in the pocket he will develop into a better passer - when someone is in your face it is difficult to get to third read that is usually downfield.  Hard to analyze coverages when you have no time in pocket to make decisions.  Not completely his fault that we can't throw downfield to stretch the secondary and linebackers!.

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5