Author Topic: SEMO mens basketball  (Read 2879 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
SEMO mens basketball
« on: November 13, 2021, 08:29:14 PM »
YSU looking good on the road.  Up 20 with about 4 minutes to go.   Luke Chicone really looked good in his time on the court.

97- 79 nice win on the road.  SEMO was preseason 4th pick in the OVC.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 08:52:22 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: SEMO mens basketball
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 09:08:02 PM »
Tevin Olison had 27 points and Garret Covington 18.  Tevin played terrible at PSU but if can play like he did tonight he's going to have a season.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 06:51:14 AM »
Tevin Olison had 27 points and Garret Covington 18.  Tevin played terrible at PSU but if can play like he did tonight he's going to have a season.

YSU players are much more athletic than the Semo players. We out rebounded them especially on the offensive board. We were able to drive inside 10-15 foot area making pull up jump shots or layups.
Garret Covington played a great game again with tremendous energy and enthusiasm.
I thought Chicoone played well at point as a freshman. Akuchie was also impressive with his inside game.
It was unbelievable that we went from down 4 at half time to up 25 with a few minutes to go.

IMO, Semo players couldn’t match up with the quickness of our players. Of course, it was the other way around for the PSU games. It is worth noting that the announcers from both ESPN+ broadcasts were extremely impressed by Covington (these guys are from the other teams).

My main concern is with the lack of size.on the inside.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 12:02:36 PM »
Gme started out like all of our games, we fall behind, only this time we fought back and played consistent ... not just hold on.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 10:55:14 PM »
That was vintage Garrett Covington...ton of energy, was all over the court.  A lot of senior leadership from him & Akuchie.  Akuchie has been very good in both games.  Chicone impressed me.  And what can you say about Olison.  He got the game started on the right foot.  It's so rare to see YSU come out that strong up 11-0.  I didn't like how it was going to close out the first half and the start of the second.  But that stretch during the 2nd half of the game was as good as I've seen YSU play in recent memory.  I think SEMO went over 10 minutes without a basket.  Nice to see YSU close a team out too and not let them back in the game, which we've seen in recent years. 

Also, the fouls called were crazy.  Not sure I've watched anything like that.  YSU did a nice job at the foul line.  For all the more people at that game, it was a pretty vocal crowd.  YSU was a 6-point underdog and has now handled SEMO both games.  The color commentator on the ESPN broadcast was something else and hard to listen too. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 07:20:44 AM »
I made a mistakes in saying that both commentators were from ESPN+. For the PSU game, they were from the Big 10 network.

The ESPN+ guys in the Semo game were from the home team. They were not very good (trying to be nice) especially the color commentator.

Since Big 10 guys were from the conference and not from PSU, they were less one sided. I thought they were extremely knowledgeable in analyzing the game. They also did their homework in commenting on the background of our players especially on Covington. They said multiple times that they really like his plays.