Author Topic: ND game day  (Read 11241 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: ND game day
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2021, 09:12:05 PM »
I wouldn't trust these coaches to coach Youngstown East, let alone a college football team.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2021, 10:47:54 PM »
Disgusted!!

Go Guins!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2021, 07:16:59 AM »
We have been on a 1O year plan since Heacock left.  Recruiting will be harder with a few more teams leaving to go to FBS.  James Madison etc Jacksonville St .  This team is a mess and will be a mess for another 3-5 years.  The vision of where our program should be league wise and all the other programs is a joke. Football dynamics have changed kids that we got before under Tressel are going FBS more schools in the loop to offer etc.  The only way to get this fixed is we need an influx of cash donors and getting better coaches that come with it.  Hoping Phillips to get us to be a champion is a pipe dream.  Again Dollar General Budget gets you this product.  Wolford could recruit and what did that get us 8-4 7-5. Yes we were runner up with Pelini but it took a catch by Rader that was the catch of the decade.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2021, 10:46:12 AM »
Here are some things to look at:

1. YSU only had 17 first-downs, but that still was not as many as UND, with 21. The problem with this stat is the fact that 5 of UND's first-downs came off of penalties.
2. They had 5.4 yards-per-rush. Almost a yard more that we did. We could not stop either one of their rushers.
3. We held the ball over 4.5 minutes longer that UND in the 4th quarter. We let them score two TD's in less than 3-minutes to beat us.

Offline 33Y0

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2021, 01:35:33 PM »
We have been on a 1O year plan since Heacock left.  Recruiting will be harder with a few more teams leaving to go to FBS.  James Madison etc Jacksonville St .  This team is a mess and will be a mess for another 3-5 years.  The vision of where our program should be league wise and all the other programs is a joke. Football dynamics have changed kids that we got before under Tressel are going FBS more schools in the loop to offer etc.  The only way to get this fixed is we need an influx of cash donors and getting better coaches that come with it.  Hoping Phillips to get us to be a champion is a pipe dream.  Again Dollar General Budget gets you this product.  Wolford could recruit and what did that get us 8-4 7-5. Yes we were runner up with Pelini but it took a catch by Rader that was the catch of the decade.

Good luck increasing the budget when academic programs are getting cut.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2021, 03:32:19 PM »
I think if we had 2 or 3 more good O linemen we would be ok on offense. I think the qb and rb and wide outs etc are ok and our offense would be dramatically improved.

On defense if we had 2 or 3 more good D linemen, similarly the rest of the defense is ok. Our linebackers are not especially big or fast, but the rest of the back end is ok. They need to cover for so long they look like they are overmatched, but the opposing qb has way too much time to throw.

So we need 5 or 6 transfers from the portal and we would be dramatically improved.

I also agree that more funding for any sport at YSU is going to be difficult.  We may be lucky to avoid cuts to athletics, with cuts occuring to academics.  At the beginning of Covid there were significant cuts to athletics that are not mentioned much.

The off season will be interesting.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2021, 04:54:31 PM »
Quote from: Penquin68

So we need 5 or 6 transfers from the portal and we would be dramatically improved.

I also agree that more funding for any sport at YSU is going to be difficult.  We may be lucky to avoid cuts to athletics, with cuts occuring to academics.  At the beginning of Covid there were significant cuts to athletics that are not mentioned much.

The off season will be interesting.

Having seen some of the financial budget numbers as a member of the faculty, the chance of getting more athletic funding is slim and none. I agree with you. I don’t think some of the non revenue generating sports will survive (especially those required a large travel budget).

In addition to the transfers mentioned by you, I think we need to replace sone a$$istant coaches if DP were to survive.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 06:38:01 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2021, 05:30:09 PM »
Lack of money did not lose the games against Western Illinois and North Dakota. We lost multiple score leads because of the lack of imagination, or perhaps panic, by the individual (or individuals) who called the offensive plays.

We should be 4-4 right now and feeling happy, if not for blunders that are not tolerated by successful high school programs.