Author Topic: Mitch Davidson  (Read 3630 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Mitch Davidson
« on: October 30, 2021, 05:47:13 PM »
Impressive performance. Only one year of eligibility left, I believe. Seems odd for the deepest QB on the roster to play so well (granted vs SDSU’s subs). Should he have been the starter all along? Are there issues with the coaches evaluating athleticism and skill?

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Mitch Davidson
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 06:18:18 PM »
Impressive performance. Only one year of eligibility left, I believe. Seems odd for the deepest QB on the roster to play so well (granted vs SDSU’s subs). Should he have been the starter all along? Are there issues with the coaches evaluating athleticism and skill?

I don’t know much about Mitch. But, I couldn’t understand what the coaching staff saw in Craycraft.
Watching him the last two games, I firmly still believe that he couldn’t read defense, couldn’t find open receivers, couldn’t throw the ball accurately, couldn’t read run/pass option and couldn’t run. Why is he still playing QB.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 06:44:09 PM »
Are there issues with the coaches?  I think you've answered your own question.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 06:48:41 PM »
I understand that we were behind but interesting that they let MD throw the ball downfield
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 08:08:41 PM »
The qb situation reminds me of the National Championship runner up year with Coach Pellini. Hunter Wells was evaluated down the depth chart and was leaving the team.  I know he didn't dress for some of the games. Don't recall if it was an injury or what or who was the starter, but Hunter was brought back. I was at the Fargo Dome against NDSU when he made his first start of that year. Not pretty, but he got better as the year went on and we made it to the National Championship game. Coaches at times have their idea of an offense and evaluate players to fit their idea of what is takes to be successful. Sometimes they are wrong. MD may not take us to the promised land, but I think he can work under our current situation offensively with Crenshaw out and give us a chance.  Not for the National Championship, but some level of respectability.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 08:55:01 AM »
  Very small sample size with Davidson.  Yes, impressive, but the first TD pass was thrown up for grabs and should have been intercepted.  The last TD drive, SD ST had all their starters out.  Not being critical, but realistic.   I listened to Coach Phillips radio show on Monday and he hinted that Davidson will get more playing time, but he also led me to believe that Davidson is not a running QB at all and he prefers a QB who at least has a threat of running the ball.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 11:21:25 AM »
Its called "reaching for straws"

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2021, 02:21:14 PM »
I agree with all of the above statements, ie small sample size and subs in the game for SDSU.   

My point is compared to Craycraft who has a knee bace and has limited escapability, with our O line problems MD seemed to be able to move away from pressure and keep his eyes down field and give us a chance at a completion.  With our current O line issues our qb needs to be able to run the ball and have the ability to avoid the rush.  I think MD can do that better than JC.  I also think play action faking to 8 should be a standard part of our pass plays to help slow down the rush. Other teams all fear number 8 and we don't use him enough as a decoy in my opinion.  When Crenshaw was healthy and could do the option with 8, we were very productive on O. None of the other qbs I have seen can do that to the level of Crenshaw. And Crenshaw can throw a bit to keep them honest.