Author Topic: Missouri State  (Read 9859 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Missouri State
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2021, 09:25:50 AM »
Heres a view from Missouri St paper

https://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/college/msu/2021/10/09/missouri-state-university-football-vs-youngstown-state-oct-9-2021-score-results-ncaa/6005005001/

A typical reaction from a supporter of a program that is enjoying sudden success after decades of futility. He believes that his bunch of transfers are the equal of NDSU, SDSU, and UNI.  They are not, as MSU will learn in the second half of the season.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2021, 09:31:34 AM »
As I have stated before, have patience.  I would like to host some considerations for the critics (like me).

1.  We've seen this movie before.  The coach doesn't yet have the talant depth he needs to beat everyone in the conference.  It is going to take time both in the development of the kids that are still here and the kids that he will recruit.

2.  The coaches are fighting the inconsistency of a very inexperienced "young" team.  We also know that when you have a young QB and inexperienced line......what happens in games.  Remember Heacock teams in 2003-2004?  How about Wolford's teams in the first few years after he did the ma$$ purge of Heacock recruits?  We had games where we showed out and we had games where we clearly underperformed.  How different is that right now?

3. What would a Pelini team have done at this point in the season after that loss to UNI?  What would a Pelini team have done when Missouri State tied it up in the 4th quarter? 

4. Doug Phillips knows what games are super important to win. Yesterday was one of them.  I heard (could be incorrect on the precise number) that there were 184 recruits at that game.  That's not a typo.  What I heard was 184.  184!  That's why that game was exceptionally important. 

5.  There was clear improvement in terms of performance over other games.  While Missouri State had a lot of self inflicted issues, some of them were unlucky, but some of them were forced.  The 2 interceptions were forced.  The big runs were forced.  Missouri State struggled with the option.  This QB reminds me of a young Demond Tidwell in a lot of ways. 

6.  It looks to me like he's trying to build this thing into a hybrid of the 1990's YSU teams and the current version of Cincinnati. It's based off of the OL and DL. Phillips references the "current" or "today's" game as requiring explosive plays.  He said it's too difficult to have 15 play drives in a game. And this isn't the first time he's said it.  I think he knows he needs a team that has the ability to grind it out on the ground but also have explosive plays.  The play calling tells us more about where he's at when it comes to grinding it out on 15 play drives.  When you are 80% run it tells us we are going to be a run first team and we will force 15 play drives if we don't executie explosive plays.  Well, we had explosive plays last night.  They did a great job on the game plan.

There's a lot more to this that that.  But I've written enough for now.

Very well said. The stadium was saturated with large teenage boys wearing high school football jackets. 

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2021, 10:14:00 AM »
Don't get me wrong about the 15 play drive situations.  Championship teams are able to put them together when they have to do it.  If we want to go the places we know we all want to get back to....it will be required.  Those are those "championship" drives that are needed in big games.  That being said, you don't want to place that sort of pressure on yourself every game.  It would be nice to pull away from a team and get far enough ahead that you can dictate what you want to do on defense.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 10:42:46 AM by penguinpower »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2021, 01:28:05 PM »
Crazy to have 6 tds in the last 4:43 of the game.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2021, 04:24:18 PM »
A couple of games that I am reminded of.  This game and JT's first year win against Akron where they were heavily favored and we won even though we looked overmatched physically. The game was stopped near the end for a lightening delay and then restarted. And the Western Illinois game this year and the 2nd half disaster and a YSU game at Fitch statium against I think Delaware where we were up by about the 35 - 14 score at half and managed to loose. I hope DP can come close to the success of JT.  I believe in the Delaware game our coach was Bill Narduzzi.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2021, 10:59:57 PM »
The Delaware game at Fitch was 1979.  Narduzzi was the coach. Not only did we blow a multi-score lead that day, we lost to Delaware again in the D2 championship game in a somewhat similar manner.  We were up by two touchdowns late in the second quarter.  We fumbled a punt around midfield, and Delaware scored twice before the half to tie the game.  Then they dominated us in the second half.

I thought at the time that we blew our only chance at national prominence, and that we would never again appear on the national stage.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2021, 09:44:08 AM »
There was a game, I believe in the early 1980s, later 19070s, at I believe Western MI, that I was listening to on the radio as a kid. We were getting beat badly in the first half, and then there was a huge rally to win. To this day is the most exciting game I’ve ever listened to.

Trivia question: Which current MVFC program is the only one not to have their State’s name included in their University’s name?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2021, 11:15:21 AM »
There was a game, I believe in the early 1980s, later 19070s, at I believe Western MI, that I was listening to on the radio as a kid. We were getting beat badly in the first half, and then there was a huge rally to win. To this day is the most exciting game I’ve ever listened to.

Trivia question: Which current MVFC program is the only one not to have their State’s name included in their University’s name?
Dah NDSU  SDSU ND NIU WIU SIU SD  I don't know, I give up!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Online Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2021, 12:26:22 PM »

YSU.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2021, 02:42:25 PM »
I was at the game where we played Western Michigan at their field in a night game. We were down and came back to win. Again we looked overmatched physically, but we had JT as the coach and some good players. I listened to the pregame and post game on thier radio broadcast. Before the game in the pregame they almost wondered why they were playing lowly Youngtown State, a 1AA team. Very interesting Post Game show where they were down and blamed it on many things including just not being up for the game.  Nice ride home.  Almost as good as the time we beat Pittsburgh a few years ago and again listed to their post game show on the ride home.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2021, 10:56:53 AM »
I was at the game where we played Western Michigan at their field in a night game. We were down and came back to win. Again we looked overmatched physically, but we had JT as the coach and some good players. I listened to the pregame and post game on thier radio broadcast. Before the game in the pregame they almost wondered why they were playing lowly Youngtown State, a 1AA team. Very interesting Post Game show where they were down and blamed it on many things including just not being up for the game.  Nice ride home.  Almost as good as the time we beat Pittsburgh a few years ago and again listed to their post game show on the ride home.

Sounds like great memories as were mine just listening to the broadcast. Their response sounds a lot like Akron’s after we beat them when Faust was their HC. MAC teams want to be big league but blow snot bubbles when the Penguins beat them.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen