Author Topic: OH NO!! NOT ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT THE MAC  (Read 6972 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
OH NO!! NOT ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT THE MAC
« on: September 29, 2021, 05:24:34 PM »
 If you need to feel better about YSU FB, you need to look no further than our neighbors in the lowly MAC. I say lowly because that's where Massey Ranks the MAC as a FBS conference...dead last.

Currently, of the 12 MAC programs, two have winning records.

Can't and Akron are both 1-3, with Akron's only win over Bryant. Akron literally buys its own tickets to meet NCAA attendance requirements.

Out of 130 FBS programs, Massey ranks Akron #127 and OU #126.

I don't think I've ever read an article where a sports writer torches a program as badly as in the link below (it is from 2019).

https://www.beaconjournal.com/news/20191123/bob-dyer-university-of-akron-football-is-invisible

It appears that the MAC FB programs are being keep barely alive by P5 revenue (Akron vs Auburn and TOSU and Can't vs TA&M and MD). If the P5 splits from the NCAA, I don't see how the G5, especially MAC, continues to exist in it's current state once the plug is pulled on its life source.

Meanwhile, the FCS conferences are realigning, and with the exodus out of the OVC, there are rumors that Murray State will join a newly formed East Division of the MVFC with YSU. IF this happens, this means less travel for YSU and a lower SOS (prolly a good thing).

My two cents....as long as the MVFC is willing to keep the roadkill YSU program as a member, let's stay there and languish until the MAC's inevitable demise...and then establish an Ohio-centered FCS conference...where we can all suck together...although Strollo will prolly sabotage it if the opportunity arises....because he's grossly incompetent.

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-realignment-teams-switching-conferences-bzbz/
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: OH NO!! NOT ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT THE MAC
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 09:00:03 PM »
Love this quote about akron from the first link.

"So much for whirring turnstiles. The team is drawing fewer spectators at InfoCision Stadium than a wet T-shirt contest would in Tehran.:
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 02:23:35 PM »
Just think how much better off we would be if the NCAA had the integrity to ENFORCE THEIR OWN ATTENDANCE RULES! Most of the MAC would be flushed down to FCS where they belong, and we would not be in this absurd situation of traveling west of the Mississippi to play many of our league games.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 08:33:14 PM »
Just think how much better off we would be if the NCAA had the integrity to ENFORCE THEIR OWN ATTENDANCE RULES! Most of the MAC would be flushed down to FCS where they belong, and we would not be in this absurd situation of traveling west of the Mississippi to play many of our league games.

You are spot on!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 06:47:25 PM »
Akron pounded by a previously winless team that lost to Duquesne lol.

How much longer does Akron fake being an FBS team?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 06:50:30 PM »
Akron pounded by a previously winless team that lost to Duquesne lol.

How much longer does Akron fake being an FBS team?

Could be a while, they have had a lot of practice

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 07:49:45 PM »
Akron fires head coach Tom Arth after going 3 and 24

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 10:28:06 PM »
Heard a pretty good theory the other day that once the P5 break off from the NCAA, the NCAA will realign with G5 and big FCS conferences forming a new NCAA D1. Apparently there is a conference coming up with the NCAA that could accelerate this process. I think the YSU conference issue is going to solve itself in the next 5-10 years with major CFB realignment

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 10:36:40 PM »
Heard a pretty good theory the other day that once the P5 break off from the NCAA, the NCAA will realign with G5 and big FCS conferences forming a new NCAA D1. Apparently there is a conference coming up with the NCAA that could accelerate this process. I think the YSU conference issue is going to solve itself in the next 5-10 years with major CFB realignment

I agree that the P5 will soon break away from the NCAA.  But can the NCAA then survive? The bulk of their money comes from the basketball tournament. With the P5 gone and starting their own basketball tournament, the network money will follow them. The NCAA will be devoid of funds, devoid of prestige, not capable of running championships for what is left.  I hope that you are right and that my doomsday vision is wrong.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 09:11:32 AM »
So basically we could be in the same division as some of these former pretend D1 schools but without the prestige and money. kind of like the NIT of college football.

Offline 4lessgovt

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 09:35:41 AM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.beaconjournal.com/amp/6282846001
5 coaches Akron should hire per Beacon Journal.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 09:37:54 AM by 4lessgovt »

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 10:07:29 AM »

I agree that the P5 will soon break away from the NCAA.  But can the NCAA then survive? The bulk of their money comes from the basketball tournament. With the P5 gone and starting their own basketball tournament, the network money will follow them. The NCAA will be devoid of funds, devoid of prestige, not capable of running championships for what is left.  I hope that you are right and that my doomsday vision is wrong.

Actually, the costs to run D1, D2 and D3 championships isn't really that expensive in the grand scheme of things:

about $231 million total to run all the championships for all of the levels  NCAA currently. The NCAA makes $177 million in championship ticket sales... it's quite a shortfall but I could see the numbers working out.

But I'm guessing the P5 split would only take place for football and the rest would stay in basketball. The college football playoff system already exists outside of the NCAA.

Either way, college athletics will need some form of governing body to run championships so it'll find a way to exist regardless

« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 10:08:54 AM by Kandrase »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 11:33:22 AM »

Remember the BCS? Did not work then and will not work now. The NCAA is king. No matter what you were taught in High school; people cannot govern themselves.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 11:35:14 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2021, 11:57:25 AM »
I see Akron lists Tim Tyrrell as potential Head Coach. 

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2021, 03:53:09 PM »

Remember the BCS? Did not work then and will not work now. The NCAA is king. No matter what you were taught in High school; people cannot govern themselves.

The playoff system already is it’s own thing outside the NCAA