Author Topic: N. Iowa  (Read 18757 times)

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: N. Iowa
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2021, 12:16:22 PM »
Here is what makes me sad. 

We won 4 championships and of all the Dominant FCS schools we parlayed them for what?

A 4000 other side of the stadium. 

Apply St.  moved up
Georgia S moved up
Marshall moved up
Boise moved up

We haven’t done sh** in 20 years other than what 2 playoff appearances.

I have said this countless times we are in the wrong conference.  We have no chance of ever winning it for years. If at all. 

They will use us as a schedule filler for every Homecoming that’s what we have become.  Being in a tough league means sh** if you don’t have the resources we are like the missouri and S Carolina of the SEC they ain’t winning sh**.  We when we were dominant we should of made a move to a different league or hell we should have started one.

I agree with most of what you say.

Look at the other teams we would play that have moved up, Nevada, Liberty, Western Kentucky and others. Heck I believe that several of the teams in our league that we cannot compete with, were D2 back in the day.

I am tired of hearing that we do not have the money, all these other teams figured out a way to do it, is there a rule saying that YSU cannot?

Only one place to look for answers.

Well besides needing money, I'd also ask what the benefits of moving up are. Would that really increase game attendance or program interest? Maybe the regional rivalries would generate some interest but it's hard to tell. Look at NDSU, they could move into the big 12 today and compete, but they are content staying FCS. 

I was too young for the glory days of the 90s but were the Kent St and Akron games a big contribution to program interest? If so, the move would make sense but if not I don't see why we would move, even if we had the money.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2021, 12:19:07 PM »
I think people need to put perspective into this.  UNI nearly best Iowa State who was highly ranked until beaten by Iowa.  Both are FBS teams.  And UNI is using the transfer portal combined with their developmental recruiting strategy and you've got a a contender. 

Phillips doesn't have that yet.  Who's coming here with our current line situation?  It's those players that want to be a QB but were probably recruited into a different position.

Don't be upset. This is going to take time.  At least they didn't quit.  That is a huge improvement over Pelini team.  Those kids play hard they were just outmanned.  Also keep in mind that Doug Phillips as mentioned the need to improve the line play in order to win in the league.  He said it has to be the foundation of the team.  He knows.

Great point PP, UNI is a very good team, I think they've got a great shot at beating NDSU this week. Our offensive struggles this week were more a product of UNI than our offense. Iowa State was only able to put 16 points on them, and 9 of those points were field goals!

Now the Western Illinois game is an entirely different story...

Online penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2021, 01:48:33 PM »
Here is what makes me sad. 

We won 4 championships and of all the Dominant FCS schools we parlayed them for what?

A 4000 other side of the stadium. 

Apply St.  moved up
Georgia S moved up
Marshall moved up
Boise moved up

We haven’t done sh** in 20 years other than what 2 playoff appearances.

I have said this countless times we are in the wrong conference.  We have no chance of ever winning it for years. If at all. 

They will use us as a schedule filler for every Homecoming that’s what we have become.  Being in a tough league means sh** if you don’t have the resources we are like the missouri and S Carolina of the SEC they ain’t winning sh**.  We when we were dominant we should of made a move to a different league or hell we should have started one.

I agree with most of what you say.

Look at the other teams we would play that have moved up, Nevada, Liberty, Western Kentucky and others. Heck I believe that several of the teams in our league that we cannot compete with, were D2 back in the day.

I am tired of hearing that we do not have the money, all these other teams figured out a way to do it, is there a rule saying that YSU cannot?

Only one place to look for answers.

Well besides needing money, I'd also ask what the benefits of moving up are. Would that really increase game attendance or program interest? Maybe the regional rivalries would generate some interest but it's hard to tell. Look at NDSU, they could move into the big 12 today and compete, but they are content staying FCS. 

I was too young for the glory days of the 90s but were the Kent St and Akron games a big contribution to program interest? If so, the move would make sense but if not I don't see why we would move, even if we had the money.

The Can't State and Zits games were of great local interest and we would beat them consistently.  As a matter of fact, the last time we beat Can't State was at home and when we did, they said they would no longer play at YSU.  I believe that's the game when our safety Dwight Smiley completely levels a Can't State player on one of the greatest hits I've ever seen live.  It was unbelievable.  Someone at YSU probably has that hit.  It was remarkable.  I think the receiver was knocked out cold and he did a helicopter flip (like a toothpick in the air) before landing on his back.  Smiley came at him like a cruise missile.  Anyone else remember that?  All you heard was the packed crowd gasp and then silence because people were wondering if he would ever walk away from that hit.  I bet you Trevor Parks has access to that film.

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2021, 02:15:32 PM »
The receiver was Eugene Baker who played in the NFL for the Facons.  He actually hung onto the ball and it was a completed pass tough guy.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2021, 03:10:48 PM »
The receiver was Eugene Baker who played in the NFL for the Facons.  He actually hung onto the ball and it was a completed pa$$ tough guy.
I was at that game. We completely outplayed KSU. Around the same period of time, we also creamed Ohio U. 30 to something. Didn’t the KSU’s QB go on to play in NFL as a receiver or RB or CB.

I don’t believe KSU refused to played future at at YSU. I thought couple things happened right after that season. First, there were some IA rules that prohibited 1A teams played at 1AA. Second, in ranking 1A teams, pollsters would not count victories over 1AA teams in calculating the national rankings , resulting in 1A teams not scheduling 1AA teams.
Eventually, NCAA allowed an additional game (12). The second restriction was then lifted a few years later.

Anyone remembers that?

Online penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2021, 03:29:52 PM »
The receiver was Eugene Baker who played in the NFL for the Facons.  He actually hung onto the ball and it was a completed pa$$ tough guy.
I was at that game. We completely outplayed KSU. Around the same period of time, we also creamed Ohio U. 30 to something. Didn’t the KSU’s QB go on to play in NFL as a receiver or RB or CB.

I don’t believe KSU refused to played future at at YSU. I thought couple things happened right after that season. First, there were some IA rules that prohibited 1A teams played at 1AA. Second, in ranking 1A teams, pollsters would not count victories over 1AA teams in calculating the national rankings , resulting in 1A teams not scheduling 1AA teams.
Eventually, NCAA allowed an additional game (12). The second restriction was then lifted a few years later.

Anyone remembers that?

I don't recall the circumstances as to why they wouldn't play a home and home, but I remember them notifying us about not having those games anymore, AFTER the beat down.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2021, 04:42:57 PM »

My interest in moving up is to play schools that would be more interesting to the fans, Most interest would be with OH and MI schools now in the MAC so if they do not drop down we should move up. And if they still do not want us in the MAC it would be easier to play them non league.

Dropping to D2 is not an option.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2021, 05:09:01 PM »
I say three letters......OVC

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2021, 05:15:09 PM »
Ohio Valley Conference exploring possible additions for departed members

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2021, 07:42:54 PM »
I agree about the Ohio Valley conference.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2021, 10:18:51 PM »

Anyone remembers that?

I don't recall the circumstances as to why they wouldn't play a home and home, but I remember them notifying us about not having those games anymore, AFTER the beat down.

After Tressel's teams beat the MAC (Bowling Green, Ohio, Kent, Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan, Central Michigan, later Akron and Buffalo,) the conference passed a rule forbidding members from playing IAA teams on the road. We referred to it at the time as the "Youngstown Rule." The conference hoped that YSU, deprived of the opportunity to ever host Akron or Kent, would stop playing MAC schools entirely and thus put a stop to their embarrassment.  It worked.

Our last game against Kent was on the road during Heacock's tenure. Joshua Cribbs was the Kent quarterback. They beat us on a last minute field goal after we gave a brutally bad performance on offense behind the leadership of the forgettable quarterback, Aaron Marshall.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2021, 10:28:35 PM »

No thank you.  If the OVC survives, no sure thing, it would be the absolute weakest of the FCS scholarship conferences. We can't rebuild the program by playing junk.

What we need right now is for Murray State to join both the Missouri Valley Conference and the MVFC. They would be the twelve football member and the league could be split into divisions, six teams on each side of the Mississippi River.

Each year we would play everybody in our division: Indiana State, Illinois State, Western Illinois, Southern Illinois, and Murray State, plus three teams from the west.  That would cut down the insane travel somewhat and make our rebuild somewhat more manageable.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2021, 06:50:16 AM »

No thank you.  If the OVC survives, no sure thing, it would be the absolute weakest of the FCS scholarship conferences. We can't rebuild the program by playing junk.

What we need right now is for Murray State to join both the Missouri Valley Conference and the MVFC. They would be the twelve football member and the league could be split into divisions, six teams on each side of the Mississippi River.

Each year we would play everybody in our division: Indiana State, Illinois State, Western Illinois, Southern Illinois, and Murray State, plus three teams from the west.  That would cut down the insane travel somewhat and make our rebuild somewhat more manageable.

I guess that would help a little. basically would eliminate the two year bye against teams that would be in our division. Still would need a better long term solution.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2021, 11:51:07 AM »
I thought that Murray State just inked a deal with the Horizon League?