Author Topic: N. Iowa  (Read 18741 times)

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: N. Iowa
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2021, 08:59:13 PM »
Agreed. We are not that good. I would love to see stats on the amount of time Crenshaw had to throw the ball because on my counts he may have had 2 seconds on each play. Can’t expect much from that. Gave up To many big plays on defense. UNI is legit and way ahead of us which we expected. It is going to be a long season and now is the time to season these kids for the rest of this year and going into the summer off season. I can’t blame the OC. He has little work with when it comes to the O line. They are weak, slow and are not ready for the level of play they are expected to play at. They got beat on every play. I am really shocked at the defense and how they have regressed since the spring season. That is an issue. To many big plays. The staff is young. The team is young and we have a long way to go but I still am a DP fan. He will get this going. Give him the time he allotted and let him go. We need to continue to support the coach and players. They play hard for the talent they have and what they have to work with. We are not that deep!!

Go Guins!!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2021, 05:48:01 AM »
Agreed. We are not that good. I would love to see stats on the amount of time Crenshaw had to throw the ball because on my counts he may have had 2 seconds on each play. Can’t expect much from that. Gave up To many big plays on defense. UNI is legit and way ahead of us which we expected. It is going to be a long season and now is the time to season these kids for the rest of this year and going into the summer off season. I can’t blame the OC. He has little work with when it comes to the O line. They are weak, slow and are not ready for the level of play they are expected to play at. They got beat on every play. I am really shocked at the defense and how they have regressed since the spring season. That is an issue. To many big plays. The staff is young. The team is young and we have a long way to go but I still am a DP fan. He will get this going. Give him the time he allotted and let him go. We need to continue to support the coach and players. They play hard for the talent they have and what they have to work with. We are not that deep!!

Go Guins!!

We can thank Pellini for the personnel issues and the reduction of scholarships due to his NCAA violations. Our kids were physically smaller than nearly every one of Northern Iowa's players. It looks like a high school team playing a college team.

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2021, 08:30:07 AM »
Coming out of spring the coaches knew what we had.  They should have brought in some transfers to help us through the rebuild.  If you keep loosing it will be harder to recruit.  No one wants to play for a loosing program.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2021, 09:22:09 AM »
Watched the game again last night - the O-line got completely manhandled and our D-line were being pancaked consistently.  UNI lineman were dominating our lines.  Plain and simple.  Can't win in the trenches you will not win games.  Sad to see that happen. 

Go Guins!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2021, 10:25:30 AM »
Couple of quick thoughts?
What did Coach Wolford have when he recruited?  Why could he find offensive lineman?  I know the year he got released he said he was actively going to recruit lineman prospects from the upper Midwest. He to to compete in our league size and length was essential.

We all know he could recruit. So instead of blowing it up why didn’t we ante up to get better assistant coaches. Isn’t that the AD job to find$$$.  If you think about it our line was pretty good after 5 years of recruiting by Wolford.  In my opinion till we increase budget we will never be a top 3 team in this conference.  Year after year we say the same things about the lines.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2021, 10:51:42 AM »
Our AD is a bean counter by trade.  Does not care about winning programs just bringing in money.  Apparently the big money supporters keep donating so he is happy. Instead of building winning athletic programs he is more interested in adding sports like bowling and lacross & building facilities that remain mostly empty.  This is the current situation so until there is a change at the top in personnel & priorities do not expect much improvement.  We as low level fans do not have much impact on the revenue flow and really are insignificant to these people.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2021, 11:01:05 AM »
Couple of quick thoughts?
What did Coach Wolford have when he recruited?  Why could he find offensive lineman?  I know the year he got released he said he was actively going to recruit lineman prospects from the upper Midwest. He to to compete in our league size and length was essential.

We all know he could recruit. So instead of blowing it up why didn’t we ante up to get better a$$istant coaches. Isn’t that the AD job to find$$$.  If you think about it our line was pretty good after 5 years of recruiting by Wolford.  In my opinion till we increase budget we will never be a top 3 team in this conference.  Year after year we say the same things about the lines.

My thought exactly.
As I posted before, if Coach W had the $$ to get himself a good DC and #8 held on to the interception ( right in his hands and that would have put us into the playoff), Wofford could still be the HC today somewhere, if not at YSU.

There is no question in my mind that Wofford’s team had the talents to compete with the top teams in our conference.

On the other hand, Coach P did not even have the talents (his recruits) to compete with the bottom teams in our conference although he was given higer budget to bring in assistants. Amazingly, he brought back #8 to coach the D. That screwed us up big time. He even took #8 to the next job with him. We all know what happened to the LSU defense.

It is difficult to watch the games any more ( I have been watching the team since 1966, my Freshmen year at Youngstown University).

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2021, 12:43:58 PM »
Our AD is a bean counter by trade.  Does not care about winning programs just bringing in money.  Apparently the big money supporters keep donating so he is happy. Instead of building winning athletic programs he is more interested in adding sports like bowling and lacross & building facilities that remain mostly empty.  This is the current situation so until there is a change at the top in personnel & priorities do not expect much improvement.  We as low level fans do not have much impact on the revenue flow and really are insignificant to these people.

An accurate summary.  Strollo does not even care about common season ticket holders who choose not to join his Penguin Club. I'm not going to complain about the big money contributors because they do a lot of good.  But I wonder if we would be in better shape if they demanded excellence in exchange for their funds.  Would fear of losing donations and not filling his precious loges spur Strollo to get serious about winning?

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2021, 05:02:37 PM »
I just don't want us to turn into a FCS version of the AKRON ZIPS.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2021, 05:46:01 PM »
Here is what makes me sad. 

We won 4 championships and of all the Dominant FCS schools we parlayed them for what?

A 4000 other side of the stadium. 

Apply St.  moved up
Georgia S moved up
Marshall moved up
Boise moved up

We haven’t done sh** in 20 years other than what 2 playoff appearances.

I have said this countless times we are in the wrong conference.  We have no chance of ever winning it for years. If at all. 

They will use us as a schedule filler for every Homecoming that’s what we have become.  Being in a tough league means sh** if you don’t have the resources we are like the missouri and S Carolina of the SEC they ain’t winning sh**.  We when we were dominant we should of made a move to a different league or hell we should have started one. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2021, 06:31:33 PM »

Not any time soon. We are in the BIG/SEC conference of the FCS.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2021, 06:51:29 PM »
What is the billionaire doing for the program who had to have DP as coach?

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2021, 07:11:10 PM »
Here is what makes me sad. 

We won 4 championships and of all the Dominant FCS schools we parlayed them for what?

A 4000 other side of the stadium. 

Apply St.  moved up
Georgia S moved up
Marshall moved up
Boise moved up

We haven’t done sh** in 20 years other than what 2 playoff appearances.

I have said this countless times we are in the wrong conference.  We have no chance of ever winning it for years. If at all. 

They will use us as a schedule filler for every Homecoming that’s what we have become.  Being in a tough league means sh** if you don’t have the resources we are like the missouri and S Carolina of the SEC they ain’t winning sh**.  We when we were dominant we should of made a move to a different league or hell we should have started one.

I agree with most of what you say.

Look at the other teams we would play that have moved up, Nevada, Liberty, Western Kentucky and others. Heck I believe that several of the teams in our league that we cannot compete with, were D2 back in the day.

I am tired of hearing that we do not have the money, all these other teams figured out a way to do it, is there a rule saying that YSU cannot?

Only one place to look for answers.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2021, 07:13:22 PM »

Bite your tongue
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2021, 03:56:45 AM »
I think people need to put perspective into this.  UNI nearly best Iowa State who was highly ranked until beaten by Iowa.  Both are FBS teams.  And UNI is using the transfer portal combined with their developmental recruiting strategy and you've got a a contender. 

Phillips doesn't have that yet.  Who's coming here with our current line situation?  It's those players that want to be a QB but were probably recruited into a different position.

Don't be upset. This is going to take time.  At least they didn't quit.  That is a huge improvement over Pelini team.  Those kids play hard they were just outmanned.  Also keep in mind that Doug Phillips as mentioned the need to improve the line play in order to win in the league.  He said it has to be the foundation of the team.  He knows.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 03:57:46 AM by penguinpower »