Author Topic: Western Illinois  (Read 33681 times)

Offline 33Y0

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Western Illinois
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2021, 03:55:11 PM »
Crenshaw wasn't being recruited as a QB. he didn't have any offers in 2019 and just YSU in 2020.  Athletic kid but need to be a  RB.

Yeah, that's just completely false. If I'm not mistaken, he had offers from Kentucky, Cincinnati, Toledo, Louisville, Kent State, Georgia Tech, Akron, Boston College, and Indiana. Now, of course, many of those offers wanted him to play as an athlete, but to say that he didn't have any offers is just false.

Penguinesallin

« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2021, 04:03:47 PM »
look it up its on 247sports.com.  I never said he didnt have offer just nothing after his sophomore year until the offer from YSU. I was just going by the 247sport time line.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2021, 04:42:38 PM »
Crenshaw wasn't being recruited as a QB. he didn't have any offers in 2019 and just YSU in 2020.  Athletic kid but need to be a  RB.
If I recall, he came here because we offered him as QB where other teams did not.
If we put him as RB or DB, he won’t stay. He came here to play QB.
The kid only played 3 games. Let us don’t throw in the towel yet. Bring in a good QB coach to work with him. The way I look at it, if we couldn’t make any significant improvements on both side of the ball, we probably will need to need some new assistant coaches anyway.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2021, 04:52:07 PM »
Ok - I stewed long enough.  It is a rebuild - we knew that coming in to the season.  The key is to find bright spots on offense and defense and build on those and continue to coach up areas of weakness. One thing I do know...if a QB doesn't have time to throw a 5 or 7 step drop pass that some of you are complaining about - I don't care who is back at QB - it will be a mess.  I don't think we are at the point for Crenshaw to audible out of blitzes and recognize coverages yet.  That comes with experience. 

You want to stretch a defense - first you have to have the time to drop 5 steps, let the receivers get into the patterns and throw it.  When you can't drop back 5 or 7 because the defense is in your face, then forget throwing the deep ball.  This is Crenshaws third game in the toughest conference in the division.  We are rebuilding and O-line from nothing and Penislini left 0 depth at any position on the lines.  These games are exhausting with the new offenses and you need to be able to sub players that have the ability to get the job done - we are not there yet!  I still am a DP fan and like what he is doing...give him time.  Now we go on the road to UNI - anything can happen in this league!!

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2021, 05:20:23 PM »
It is just clear to me that Phillips is going the route of changing the team immediately and letting them struggle and eventually work into the system. Which is fine if you have 3-4 years to wait. Wolford tried it and he just never made it in time to keep his job. (although he handicapped himself with a lousy DC initially) Maybe I am just impatient and/or want a coach we cannot afford. Both of these are probably true to a degree.

I think that Wolford was a decent recruiter and agree that his DC was a big handicap.  No one wants to wait 2-4 years to be great team, maybe DP is the guy maybe he is not, it is a killer to wait years to find out.

I just cannot understand why money is always an issue at YSU and not at other schools in our league, do we fund differently? Would a second money game make the difference?

I think the money issue is everywhere Guinpen. Think about it. Coach H was paid as high as $199k (I think just under. He was popular, so he was a part of several ad campaigns that gave a bit extra...but not much. (Leave in 2009). Now come Coach W with a salary in the low-to-mid $200k range. (Leaves in 2015) Then comes a big money coach in coach P. Now he did not need the money, but I think he had about $300k+ when they renewed. He left last year. Now BO was almost $1mil (with more than that is perks) when he was at Nebraska. Now had he been looking for his best opportunity, he would not have been here and CERTAINLY would not have taken such a small amount. He got 1mil as an OC after he left YSU. So you see where the talent value spread lies. A good coach can demand top dollars. We have to find someone that can do the job on the low end of that scale.

So we have to take a high-end guy with problems, or a low-end guy with no/little experience and potential
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 05:55:00 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2021, 11:02:22 AM »
I’m in the let Crenshaw hopefully develop camp.

On an un related note…….do the new NIL rules apply to our division?

Instead of giving coaches cars, maybe a local car dealer could dangle an Escalade or whatever the hot new ride is to a stud QB recruit?

Just almost joking

Where is Mickey Monus when you need him?
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline 33Y0

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2021, 11:56:11 AM »
I’m in the let Crenshaw hopefully develop camp.

On an un related note…….do the new NIL rules apply to our division?

Instead of giving coaches cars, maybe a local car dealer could dangle an Escalade or whatever the hot new ride is to a stud QB recruit?

Just almost joking

Where is Mickey Monus when you need him?
Jaleel actually just became the first Penguin on our football team to sign a NIL deal. He's signed with J Arnold Wealth Management. I don't think the amount has been disclosed, but I think he'll be doing some commercials, billboards, and other general advertising for the company. Good for Jaleel. Great kid.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2021, 02:19:11 PM »
Those of you who are out-of-town probably missed this, but we have an oral commitment from another dual threat local quarterback. We don't know if he can succeed at this level because he plays in an awful league against terrible competition.  However, unlike Crenshaw, he has been taught proper throwing technique by his father from the moment he first picked up a football. I have no idea if Brungard's kid is the long-range solution or just another public relations ploy.

Penguinesallin

« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2021, 04:01:44 PM »
Blows my mind that people are ok with giving Crenshaw a chance even though his footwork is bad and he has poor throwing form but not Waid. I just don't get it. I watched  every game last year and Waid was running for his life because of our young O-line. Waid is just as strong a runner and a better pass than Crenshaw not to mention waid has the size.. I do believe our O-line is better than in the spring and we have better WR. I also  heard WAID was working with Greg Frey through out the summer and was doing great. I just dont think these coaches have a clue when it comes to QB.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2021, 05:57:03 PM »
Blows my mind that people are ok with giving Crenshaw a chance even though his footwork is bad and he has poor throwing form but not Waid. I just don't get it. I watched  every game last year and Waid was running for his life because of our young O-line. Waid is just as strong a runner and a better pa$$ than Crenshaw not to mention waid has the size.. I do believe our O-line is better than in the spring and we have better WR. I also  heard WAID was working with Greg Frey through out the summer and was doing great. I just dont think these coaches have a clue when it comes to QB.

Didn't Waid sustain an injury to his shoulder during fall camp? Perhaps he just can't throw right now. If he is 100% healthy, I agree with you.

Penguinesallin

« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2021, 07:11:04 PM »
Waid hurt his left shoulder not throwing shoulder. That’s why he didn’t play last game in sprint. From what I understand he did really well in the 2 scrimmages and camp.