Author Topic: Western Illinois  (Read 33687 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Western Illinois
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2021, 10:34:20 AM »
Honestly, we should've just hired the Slipper Rock head coach (not sure he applied) and his entire staff.  We'd be better off now and in the future.  Its hard to believe the applicants were that weak for the job.   You cant convince me that any of these people will be successful here based on the MVFC schedule.  Please review the experience of the a$$istant coach who is the recruiting coordinator.  Did anyone bother to interview any of these coaches to see what experience they brought to the staff?   

And one last thing, its 2021 there is no such thing as a long rebuild.  You either have it or you don't.  With the transfer portal, 3 years is more then enough time to see if you have the program headed in the right direction.   

There is such a thing as a long rebuild.  You have two choices on the athlete that you want to bring in.  The first choice is to get the best of the best high school athletes that can come in and play almost immediately.  Special talent.  The second choice is to bring players in that need to be developed physically but have the potential to be outstanding athletes.  Some of these athletes will become outstanding and many of them will become very good.  The majority of these players are on the offensive and defensive lines.  They are the "projects" to many of the power 5 elite programs. 

This is the type of athlete that Phillips is recruiting.  It is going to take time.  Heacock had a similar system, but he always struggled to get the skill positions.  Philips seems to be able to identify the skilled positions well.  However he needs time to develop the line in the weight room etc. 

We don't have the budget to do it any other way.  My advice is to remain patient.  If Pellini hadn't left the cupboard bare it would have been a hell of a lot easier for Phillips.  Secondly, Pellini left NCAA violations that cost scholarships.  So not only did Phillips have to deal with a bare cupboard, but he also had to deal with NCAA violations.  And I am fairly certain there are other things in play...... regarding some limits that Strollo in the athletic department have placed on Phillips ability to recruit exactly who he wants in the time frame that Philips wants to do it.  Keep in mind there has been significant turnover of Pellini recruits in the last year and a half.  These coaches were also at a disadvantage with the b******* coronavirus cancellations.
It was only 6 months ago that he got first-hand experience on the level of athlete in the conference. 

You have to find a coach that wants this job.  The majority of the great coaches are not going to take it.  There is barely enough money for the a$$istants.  As an a$$istant, this is one of these jobs you take because you are confident that you can make a name for yourself.  It's not about the money.  It's a way to prove that you are a good a$$istant or a bad one and move on to higher paying jobs in FBS.  They aren't going to get all the right people immediately.

Lastly, when I say a slow rebuild, I am talking about a rebuild similar to what Cincinnati did.  A rebuild that's similar to what Iowa state did.  Cincinnati's been building their program for years.  10 years ago they were not competitive with Ohio State. Now they are ranked 8th in the country and they could likely beat Ohio State. Over the last several years Cincinnati has lost their conference championship to UCF.  But the way that Cincinnati has built the program, they ended up on top because it was more fundamentally built on development.  UCF could not beat Cincinnati today and if they did it would be a fluke.  UCF predicated their success on finding the athletes.  Cincinnati developed their player personnel and have a system to put the best players on the field through homegrown means.  That's the essence of a developmental program.  Those programs tend to remain more competitive for longer periods of time. They aren't flash in the pan teams that come out of nowhere and and fade into history.  This is part of why North Dakota State is a perennial power.  Their development of offensive and defensive lineman is second to none. When you have the line play and you mix in a few people with skill then you have the ability to become a machine that produces year in and year out. 

When I say long rebuild, this is what I mean
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 10:53:05 AM by penguinpower »

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2021, 10:43:32 AM »
PenguinPower

Can you expand on the following?

And I am fairly certain there are other things in play...... regarding some limits that Strollo in the athletic department have placed on Phillips ability to recruit exactly who he wants in the time frame that Philips wants to do it.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2021, 10:48:40 AM »
PenguinPower

And I am fairly certain there are other things in play...... regarding some limits that Strollo in the athletic department have placed on Phillips ability to recruit exactly who he wants in the time frame that Philips wants to do it.

Let me just say that Phillips isn't going to purge the program like the SEC does with one year scholarships because it isn't fair to the athletes.....even if he wanted to do it   That's not the way YSU rolls.   If you can read between the lines on that.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 10:49:47 AM by penguinpower »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2021, 11:01:34 AM »
Honestly, we should've just hired the Slipper Rock head coach (not sure he applied) and his entire staff.  We'd be better off now and in the future.  Its hard to believe the applicants were that weak for the job.   You cant convince me that any of these people will be successful here based on the MVFC schedule.  Please review the experience of the a$$istant coach who is the recruiting coordinator.  Did anyone bother to interview any of these coaches to see what experience they brought to the staff?   

And one last thing, its 2021 there is no such thing as a long rebuild.  You either have it or you don't.  With the transfer portal, 3 years is more then enough time to see if you have the program headed in the right direction.   

There is such a thing as a long rebuild.  You have two choices on the athlete that you want to bring in.  The first choice is to get the best of the best high school athletes that can come in and play almost immediately.  Special talent.  The second choice is to bring players in that need to be developed physically but have the potential to be outstanding athletes.  Some of these athletes will become outstanding and many of them will become very good.  The majority of these players are on the offensive and defensive lines.  They are the "projects" to many of the power 5 elite programs. 

This is the type of athlete that Phillips is recruiting.  It is going to take time.  Heacock had a similar system, but he always struggled to get the skill positions.  Philips seems to be able to identify the skilled positions well.  However he needs time to develop the line in the weight room etc. 

We don't have the budget to do it any other way.  My advice is to remain patient.  If Pellini hadn't left the cupboard bare it would have been a hell of a lot easier for Phillips.  Secondly, Pellini left NCAA violations that cost scholarships.  So not only did Phillips have to deal with a bare cupboard, but he also had to deal with NCAA violations.  And I am fairly certain there are other things in play...... regarding some limits that Strollo in the athletic department have placed on Phillips ability to recruit exactly who he wants in the time frame that Philips wants to do it.  Keep in mind there has been significant turnover of Pellini recruits in the last year and a half.  These coaches were also at a disadvantage with the b******* coronavirus cancellations.
It was only 6 months ago that he got first-hand experience on the level of athlete in the conference. 

You have to find a coach that wants this job.  The majority of the great coaches are not going to take it.  There is barely enough money for the a$$istants.  As an a$$istant, this is one of these jobs you take because you are confident that you can make a name for yourself.  It's not about the money.  It's a way to prove that you are a good a$$istant or a bad one and move on to higher paying jobs in FBS.  They aren't going to get all the right people immediately.

Lastly, when I say a slow rebuild, I am talking about a rebuild similar to what Cincinnati did.  A rebuild that's similar to what Iowa state did.  Cincinnati's been building their program for years.  10 years ago they were not competitive with Ohio State. Now they are ranked 8th in the country and they could likely beat Ohio State. Over the last several years Cincinnati has lost their conference championship to UCF.  But the way that Cincinnati has built the program, they ended up on top because it was more fundamentally built on development.  UCF could not beat Cincinnati today and if they did it would be a fluke.  UCF predicated their success on finding the athletes.  Cincinnati developed their player personnel and have a system to put the best players on the field through homegrown means.  That's the essence of a developmental program.  Those programs tend to remain more competitive for longer periods of time. They aren't flash in the pan teams that come out of nowhere and and fade into history.  This is part of why North Dakota State is a perennial power.  Their development of offensive and defensive lineman is second to none. When you have the line play and you mix in a few people with skill then you have the ability to become a machine that produces year in and year out. 

When I say long rebuild, this is what I mean

I get all that, and I am still pro DP, at least right now, but the thing I can't forgive is the lack of coaching adjustment in the second half. We did not need to beat WIU with long passes, we just needed a quick short / screen pass game and we didn't run that. I think things will come together down the run, but I am concerned about the coordinators ability to coach at the level needed here. Which, is an easier fix right? Just get new coordinators.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2021, 11:02:43 AM »
In terms of everything else you said with player development, totally agree. I think that may have been why DP quit mid spring season, to try to get that weight room time (what little was left). I am thinking next year after a true offseason and weight room time and more recruiting we will be much better. I am still optimistic for the future, this year will be really rough though.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2021, 11:07:37 AM »
PenguinPower

Let me just say that Phillips isn't going to purge the program like the SEC does with one year scholarships because it isn't fair to the athletes.....even if he wanted to do it   That's not the way YSU rolls.   If you can read between the lines on that.

Thanks
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2021, 01:00:51 PM »
that mill whistle they blow during the game is annoying

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2021, 01:23:44 PM »
Playing the long game is fine. Speaking for myself, I'll tolerate losing seasons for years to come, as long as the program conducts itself with class.

The problem is that the Athletic Department is incompetent, and I mean incompetent in a legendary way. Supporting factors such as scheduling, funding, promotion will all be sabotaged by this ineptitude.

As long as Strollo is there...what you see is what will continue...and he is likely there for another 15 years....and then after he's retired, maybe you rebuild...or maybe you again hire another incompetent who's there for decades.

Also, the play calling gives the impression of a fear to play the game, and even a lack of understanding of basics like clock management and the need to adjust/respond to your opponents adjustments. I like DP...but IDK if someone who (or who's coordinators) call plays like that can upgrade enough to be an MVFC contender.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2021, 02:58:20 PM »
It is too early to kill Phillips entirely.  This is obviously a less than ideal situation to start rebooting a college program.

That said----the school would do well to not make being from NE Ohio the A#1 top priority in hiring decisions.  I mean, the second choice was a high school coach, right?  Was Super Fan not available?

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2021, 03:59:04 PM »
It is too early to kill Phillips entirely.  This is obviously a less than ideal situation to start rebooting a college program.

That said----the school would do well to not make being from NE Ohio the A#1 top priority in hiring decisions.  I mean, the second choice was a high school coach, right?  Was Super Fan not available?

Superfan.....is he still around? If so, has to be pretty old

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2021, 04:18:20 PM »
Money is the reason Phillips got hired, not resume. This program is dormant.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2021, 04:58:40 PM »
Maybe we hire Strollos wife to succeed him as AD.  She sure seemed to climb the pay scale with no experience.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2021, 05:24:00 PM »

Superfan.....is he still around? If so, has to be pretty old

yes superfan tailgates next to us and he is there both games this year.

In terms of Strollo. Why does everyone think we have such a crispy/squeaky program that we can hire anyone we want and the best a their positions? We have things that are set & always going to be set. There is no AD on the planet that will come in here, play the game, (which includes keep his mouth shut), for the dollars we pay Strollo. There is no need to even look. Anyone that does know how to play the game as well as RS is seasoned with paycheck demands beyond well beyond YSU.

As to the game:

1. I hope all of you Crenshaw people see what he is. A player too short to pa$$ at the DI level. I would say that at least half of his pa$$es were tipped, with 6 being either a disaster, or near disaster. WIU played a balanced Montana and only managed 9 first-downs and no offensive TD's. Montana will be middle of the pack in their conference. We needed to do 2 things this past weekend to prevent a total collapse.
A) Go to true Wildcat to get some running yards.
B) get a receiving TE out there so Crenshaw has a bigger target to get some throwing yards.
So what happened? Does anyone else realize we never even crossed the 50 in the entire second half?

2. We show no signs of game planning, let alone adjust. Everyone knew that when this team gave up the TD late in Q2, this team was going to collapse.

3. Let's not keep saying about how good the team we played is, just because we get beat or play close. Last week there was one good player and WIU had maybe 3.

4. Only certain types of coaches can move a team in a different direction (ie: our clear attempt to become Cinci) and still perform with the players you inherited. This staff just does not have that ability. You have to interject players as you get them. In the mean time you are going to play much of the same style as your predecessor .

5. Also if I hear about how young our team is, I am going to get ill. This team had winter practice last year, half of a season against regular opposition in spring, workouts in the summer, fall camp. There is no team in YSU history with as much prep time going into a season. Yes everyone else has just the same, but that just goes to show how ill-prepared we are.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 06:27:50 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2021, 09:33:34 PM »
Don’t you think Crenshaws throwing motion and footwork are an issue it took like he is throwing side arm and straight arming his throws.  You would of thought we could have worked that out by now
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2021, 10:23:19 PM »
This is a vicious cycle.  We have a QB who struggles with the ability to throw to his WRs and stretch the field.  Therefore you will struggle to recruit WRs.  Who on the staff has the experience recruiting and developing a QB at this level?