Author Topic: Western Illinois  (Read 33718 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Western Illinois
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2021, 10:45:39 PM »
The crazy thing is, the gameplan wasn't bad, at least for the first half! Literally not able to make ANY adjustments in the second half though... Boggles the mind

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2021, 11:00:41 PM »
With each coaching replacement the program gets worse.  I'm not even gonna discuss the attendance part of it.  Its over people.

Haven't been around in a long time. Is Strollo still making terrible HC hires?

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2021, 06:32:43 AM »
1. Is Strollo the one who is actually deciding who the head coach is? 2. Is this a season killing game, where the coaching staff has lost the team? 3. Will the better players make use of the transfer portal to escape this situation and move on to better programs? 4. Is YSU the only program in the country in which being from the area seems to be the major criteria for the head coach?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2021, 06:54:08 AM »
Phillips was hand chosen by JT. He wanted the complete opposite of Bo after some of the on and off field debacles that made the university look bad and boy, he sure got his wish. Embarrassing...

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2021, 08:50:02 AM »
This is clearly a coaching issue where coaches have been totally unable to make needed adjustments. We played the entire game as if we didn’t have any receivers.
How many teams/games do you know of that an offense scored 35 points in quarter and half and score 0 points for the rest of the game?
This was not due to lack of executions by the players. As I mentioned earlier, calling a play on 3rd and 11 for a 170# half back to run up the middle with 9 defenders in the box was not the fault of the running back.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2021, 08:59:27 AM »
This is what happens when you have a coaching staff full of D2 and D3 quality coaches and literal kids who were just playing college football 2 years ago and have never held an assistant job ever. Utterly embarrassing.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2021, 10:45:37 AM »
This is what happens when you have a coaching staff full of D2 and D3 quality coaches and literal kids who were just playing college football 2 years ago and have never held an a$$istant job ever. Utterly embarra$$ing.

This is the result of trying to save $$$.
I am curious if we have the lowest coaching budget in MVFC. However, that might not be case. Otherwise, our PR people from the athletic department would have publicized it……”we have the lowest budget, but we have the highest quality”.
When I was the faculty member, I used to hate to hear our marketing department emphasizes that YSU has the the lowest tuition among all the state universities and yet, we have the one of the highest quality education.
It is like walking into a GM dealership when the salesperson the Chevy sparks is the lowest cost vehicle in GM, but it as good as a Cadillac.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2021, 12:11:21 PM »
This is a depth and personnel issue.  He went for it on 4the down for 2 reasons.  1. The defense was on the field for the entire second half.  They were vulnerable and not able to stop them anymore.  2.  If you can't make a single yard when you absolutely need it, then you don't deserve to win the game.

We do not have the depth and the personnel we do have need more development.  It is going to be a long rebuild.  It's going to take time. That was just a step backward.  If you are not threat to throw down field  you cannot win.  They brought everyone, all 11 people within 5 yards of the LOS and dared us to throw.  And we couldn't.  The QB needs a lesson in footwork for sure.

Patience

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2021, 12:46:05 PM »
The worst HCs in program history still are:

1) Bo Pelini (I doubt he ‘ll ever lose this distinction), and
2) Jon (I was handed the team of the 90s and 💩 on it) Heacock

The worst loss in recent program history is still the Butler loss....not to a “SEC of the FCS” team.

Maybe my goals are set too low, but DP hasn’t made me disgusted to be a Penguin fan or an alumni. He’s an immense upgrade to the filth that preceded him.

I’ll finish with two questions:

How was the FB program in the decade pre-AD Strollo?

How has it been with Strollo as AD?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 12:47:25 PM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2021, 01:02:41 PM »
Small time coaches recruiting and calling plays like they are at John Carroll.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2021, 01:17:28 PM »
We pay Dollar General Salaries for our Assistants.  You get what you pay for.  We struck lightening in the bottle with JT it’s not going to happen 35 years later the economics and FCS has changed hell I think the year we won it there was like what 76 fcs teams etc.  Money talks and we don’t have it.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2021, 01:37:25 PM »
I agree that the melt down yesterday was unbelievable and bad. Here is what I see if you want to look at the glass half full. 

Our coaches are young and inexpiernced due to a lack of funding to hire more accomplished coaches. But I recall JT did the same thing with many of his assistants. And I recall coach Wolford hiring older experienced defensive coaches on the way down from a bigger program and they failed badly and cost him his job in many ways. The hope is we have good up and coming coaches who can grow into our needs.

Our players are not up to FCS standards in many cases, O and D line in particular. We get no pressure on the opposing QB and they get great pressure on our QB without blizes etc. Many times even with blitzes we don't get to the QB. Our QB has no time to read the field and look down field and we can't run the complex pass patterns that others run against us due to our lack of time in the pocket. We are not recriuting quick fix junior college players. We are trying to recriut high school players that can grow into FCS caliber O and D line players in the future. That is our current strategy. Suffer now for a brighter future. Our last coach left the cubbard bare I think. We will see if this stategy will work for us.

Our QB has potential but I think needs a break.  I would have put in Joe Cracraft in the 4th quarter to give Crenshaw a break from the pressure he was under.

Our play calling was poor in that I could tell what type of play we would run based on down and distance. No surprises by us, everything predictable. Very difficult for our QB to excell under those conditions. We can't depend on number 8 all the time when facing so many defenders up on the line etc. They sell out on the run and are correct most all the time. And can easily cover our recievers one on one. And no motion, just line up and go with predictable runs. And then try to pass in obvious passing downs.

On the 4th down play at the end, I would have run the QB instead of 8 due to his size and strength. Use 8 as the decoy there. And I would use some 2 back sets with Waid and 8 in at the same time. Have some power and speed for them to content with.

I hope for the best with our current team and coaches. The future will tell if the glass is half full or half empty.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2021, 08:05:06 PM »
Honestly, we should've just hired the Slipper Rock head coach (not sure he applied) and his entire staff.  We'd be better off now and in the future.  Its hard to believe the applicants were that weak for the job.   You cant convince me that any of these people will be successful here based on the MVFC schedule.  Please review the experience of the a$$istant coach who is the recruiting coordinator.  Did anyone bother to interview any of these coaches to see what experience they brought to the staff?   

And one last thing, its 2021 there is no such thing as a long rebuild.  You either have it or you don't.  With the transfer portal, 3 years is more then enough time to see if you have the program headed in the right direction.   
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 08:07:36 PM by goodnews »

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2021, 11:35:12 PM »
Last nights game was bad and the way they played getting up 35 -7 had us all thinking maybe we're better than we thought and then the beat down happened.   
I'm not dumping on the coach or staff this season since we all know this is a total rebuild and he needs to up grade in multiple areas.

I like Crenshaw toughness and he's like another running back as a qb but his mechanics are not there yet and I'm hoping with experience he can get to another level.  Not sure he's the guy but there's a lot of football to be played.   

The D-line needs an infusion of speed of the edge.  Hoping for a Derek Rivers type to show up.

Patience is needed although I understand the emotions of last night debacle.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2021, 07:15:29 AM »
   When hired Phillips I said his resume did not warrant him getting this job.  He is in way over his head and so is his staff.  As for patience, give me a break.  5 years ago we were in the national title game.  We should not be losing regularly to Indiana St and Western Illinois.  I have a tremendous amount of respect For Jim Tressel as a coach and president of YSU.  But as for hiring coaches, not so much.  He made the call and overruled the committee several years ago to hire John Robic as basketball coach and Robic was a stiff.

Tressel took the money from Bob Sebo and made this hire, period.   We are a joke, may not win another game.