Author Topic: Western Illinois  (Read 33693 times)

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Western Illinois
« on: September 19, 2021, 09:15:44 AM »
62-56! 950 yards passing in the game?  WTH?  Anyhow - lets get this started.  This is the game to establish the balanced attack of run game and pass game.  If we can give Crenshaw some time, we should be able to get the ball downfield.  Must win at home in the conference! 

GO GUINS!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Western Illinois
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 12:31:39 PM »
For starters, let's try not to give up a punt return for a touchdown and a kickoff return for a touchdown. Western Illinois will undoubtedly stack the box to stop McLaughlin. We should have single coverage all over the field.  And based on what I watched in the first half yesterday, the WIU secondary can not guard anybody.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 10:46:32 AM »
I listened to that penguin playbook episode last night. Made me pretty happy, I am getting more an more optimistic that DP is the right coach for this job. If nothing else, he definitely said the right things yesterday. Look for us to use the run to setup play action pass this week, also I think this is going to be a good game. Whether we win or not is gonna come down to how well the secondary plays I think.

Go Penguins!

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 12:20:44 PM »
This will be a tough game.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 09:07:22 AM »
From here on, they will ALL be tough!  Our only "easy" game was a incredible comeback, 3 point overtime win!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 10:21:56 AM »
We need to play better defense.  Our defense was good in the spring but this fall its seems to have taken a step back.  We can't stop the run or the pass.  We have talent on defense but I think the coaching is the problem.    3 man fronts puts no pressure on opposing QBs and allows the running backs to get into the second level.  Also covering receivers with LBs is not working.  Especially against UIW that had fast talented receivers. 

Also we need to open up the offense.  Our QB seems capable so give him a game plan that uses his talent.  #8 is talented but will not last long running the ball 25-30 times a game.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 11:28:28 AM »
We need to play better defense.  Our defense was good in the spring but this fall its seems to have taken a step back.  We can't stop the run or the pa$$.  We have talent on defense but I think the coaching is the problem.    3 man fronts puts no pressure on opposing QBs and allows the running backs to get into the second level.  Also covering receivers with LBs is not working.  Especially against UIW that had fast talented receivers. 

Also we need to open up the offense.  Our QB seems capable so give him a game plan that uses his talent.  #8 is talented but will not last long running the ball 25-30 times a game.
Your assessment of needing improved D is right, but Cameron Ward is best I've seen in years, and Big10 just has more talent, so I'm not convinced we are that much worse.  Saturday night will tell.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 11:49:01 AM »
From here on, they will ALL be tough!  Our only "easy" game was a incredible comeback, 3 point overtime win!

To be fair, Incarnate Word is currently 2-1 with 1 win over an FBS opponent. It was a sunbelt team, but 85 scholarships none the less.

Yes, Incarnate word was likely an "easier" opponenet but we shouldn't mistake them for Robert Morris and Duquesne.

But I agree, I don't think any MVFC game is gonna be "easy" even past bottom barrel teams like SIU are really good now
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 11:55:46 AM by Kandrase »

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 11:58:29 AM »
 Incarnate Word will have a good year, they are very explosive offensively.  WIU game is a must win.  Their defense is horrendous.  Offensively they have a good QB and wide outs.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 03:00:47 PM »
Miami rarely loses at home, and teams usually struggle to score against them in their facility.  Yet Michigan State pretty much did whatever they wanted on offense. Incarnate Word can make all but a handful of elite FCS defenses look foolish. After opening with those two, our defensive statistics might not be a proper index to the abilities of this unit. As others have noted, let us see how this defense responds to league competition.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 04:14:11 PM »
Miami rarely loses at home, and teams usually struggle to score against them in their facility.  Yet Michigan State pretty much did whatever they wanted on offense. Incarnate Word can make all but a handful of elite FCS defenses look foolish. After opening with those two, our defensive statistics might not be a proper index to the abilities of this unit. As others have noted, let us see how this defense responds to league competition.

Well said!  My sentiments exactly.  This game is the barometer for the defense.  With UIW we had to use a lot of players - 1st game, running a fast paced offense, we were worn down.  MSU - same thing as we had to try to stop an elite Big10 team in the second game.  I think the run game is going to open up the passing game - control the game clock, keep their offense off the field and establish long scoring drives will be the key.  Looking forward to what we can do in the conference. D-line has to step it up this game, agains MSU we were in some good positions but missed tackles were an issue.  The conference is what you have prepared for and now is the time to set the tone.

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 09:19:47 PM »
Does anyone know why today’s WFMJ Penguin Game day broadcast @ 7:30 pm was not shown?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 10:57:16 PM »
Does anyone know why today’s WFMJ Penguin Game day broadcast @ 7:30 pm was not shown?

7:00 pm. You just missed it.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 05:33:10 AM »

7:00 pm. You just missed it.

Sorry, I meant to say 7 pm. The game show was shown at 7 pm. I just realized that it could be due to last week being the bye week.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 03:44:59 PM »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen