Author Topic: Michigan State GameDay Thread  (Read 13985 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan State GameDay Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2021, 05:34:38 PM »
The 2nd effort gave us hope although it was played against their backups.

Our backups were in the 4th quarter too.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2021, 06:00:21 PM »
Duquesne beat Ohio today. Be glad we didn't play them at home  :-X

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2021, 06:19:34 PM »
This is going to be a long rebuild but it is being done correctly.  He needs time.  In addition, Pelini f***ed them over with the violations that were hushed up well.  He had less scholarships because of the penis with anger issues. 

Now back to the coaching.  Watch the press conferences.  Phillips said that we are a "developmental program" and "we are not there yet" so be patient. 

I think he will continue to improve through recruiting and development.  Penis Pelini left the cupboard bare. 

So that being said, we are picking up pieces slowly dealing with a hamstring that Pelini left us. Now could we be more creative?  Well yes probably, but they appear to want to win a certain way.  Let them go.  We have no money and we won't have the money until we start winning again. 

I am happy to see the effort.  I think he is building a program.  It is going to take time (years) so expect it and be patient.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2021, 07:21:43 PM »
Duquesne beat Ohio today. Be glad we didn't play them at home  :-X

Way to go Dukes!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2021, 08:56:30 PM »
I think it is better than beating Slippery Rock and a couple of non scholarship schools.  The program has been down a long time.  It will take time.

Nope cannot agree. Play slippery Rock, you play to win & win. Play a good team, you play to not to lose and lose. Play a warm-up and you play your game. Be a warm-up and you bring in a team that will try not to lose at best. You only learn disappointment. Face facts, this is not an upper-half MSU team. It is only the enormous mistake called transfer portal that will keep them in the middle of the Big-10, as opposed to the basement. The portal is just another way for the less-talented to be promoted.

For us, this is not a situation where we need coached-up, we need to recruit at the high-school level. Something Bo could not do. Now we do not have the big name coach or the winning history  to do well in the portal.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2021, 12:30:00 AM »
Strollo and company hired a  HC who has zero coordinator experience at the D1 level yet is expected to turn this thing around .  Not to mention he has to compete with 6 MAC schools for recruits within OHIO.   No need to worry though we have Petersons 20 year old son as the recruiting coordinator.  I could go on and on but have lost my interest after 20 years. If u don't think there is a problem look no further than this forum where only 20 posts were  made today after playing Michigan State.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2021, 10:08:12 AM »
Personal opinion here, but I don't think DP has done a bad job of recruiting thus far. I noticed he recruited linemen (which we desperately needed), and he hasn't done too bad with the transfer portal pickups he has.

I think everyone is being way to negative on him so far.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2021, 12:26:44 PM »
I think its just very frustrating that we've had to reset the program 3 times since Heacock.  Not to mention its hard to watch when u know we're a very long way from the top of the MVFC.  All the while Strollo has left the program worse off for the incoming replacement.  Wolford was the exception since he could recruit. 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2021, 01:02:40 PM »
I think its just very frustrating that we've had to reset the program 3 times since Heacock.  Not to mention its hard to watch when u know we're a very long way from the top of the MVFC.  All the while Strollo has left the program worse off for the incoming replacement.  Wolford was the exception since he could recruit.

I share your opinion about Strollo.  But Tressel hand-picked Phillips. Strollo and his "advisors" wanted someone else. At least that is what my highly reliable sources within the university have told me. I am much more inclined to be patient under the circumstances.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2021, 04:00:59 PM »
Just a quick thought JT had no Coordinator experience either when hired.  I couldn’t find anywhere ion the internet who the original assistants were.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2021, 05:14:21 PM »
Snider and  Dantonio

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2021, 09:22:06 PM »
Tressel came from a coaching family.  Second, there will never be another JT at YSU that u can count on.  Everyone needs to forget the reincarnation of JT and and move on from the 30 year old National Championships.  If people can accept that including Philips maybe he'll be successful.   

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2021, 08:10:23 AM »
  I am skeptical that Phillips can win.  But, way too early and with Phillips being Tressel's handpicked hire, he will get a lot of time.  But so far he is 2-7.  Western Illinois is a must win, the rest of the schedule is brutal.  I have serious concerns about Crenshaw's ability to throw down field.  We need to recruit a big time Qb who can make plays in the pass game.

Since last spring our pass attack is pathetic.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2021, 09:33:48 AM »
This crap about beating up DP for losing to MSU is depressing.  This is his first real year as coach as EVERYTHING last year was screwed up. (for those of you that forgot or missed it, we had a world wide pandemic)  I'm not sure he's the right guy, but Luke Fickel and Jim Tressel do, and they know more about football that all on this thread!
We gave MSU a better game than Arron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers gave Saints, anybody saying all is lost in GB?
We are 1-1, did ANYBODY think we would be any different after 2 games? 
Frankly I feel more encouraged after the lost to MSU than I did after the win against UIW.   Certainly the MSU WR's were a ton faster than our DB's but so have many others including Terry Robiskie at OSU (a game I saw) and the guys at WVU.  Guys go to 1AA because they just don't have 1A size or 1A speed. Yes 1AA guys occasionally make the NFL, but as a general rule, size or speed help the decision process.  Now the the season starts.  Crenshaw has some serious game time under his belt, we have more wins than last season and the
check book is full. 
Time to see have we are going to stack up in the MVFC!  Most on this site are correct, we don't have enough good players, but you gotta start somewhere. DP didn't leave the cupboard bare, that a$$ Pelini did.  Give coach Phillips a chance.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2021, 01:24:52 PM »

Since last spring our pa$$ attack is pathetic.

I agree.  We most definitely need to throw the ball down the field.  But here is the big question.  Can you develop a sophisticated passing game when the offensive line can not pass block?  In his few pass attempts, Crenshaw had half the time to release the ball that the Incarnate Word and Michigan State quarterbacks received. I feel that the coaches know this and are using plays that have the best chance for success, given our obvious shortcomings up front. Now assigning blame for the sorry state of our o-line is a separate issue.