Author Topic: MVFC Meat Grinder  (Read 7726 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
MVFC Meat Grinder
« on: September 04, 2021, 11:02:36 PM »
So, IDK if you all were watching the scores of our other conference teams, but this is gonna be a meat grinder year:

SDSU 42                 Colorado State 23
#7 Iowa State 16    UNI 10
Ball State 31           WIU 21
Oklahoma State 23  Missouri State 16
Kansas 17               SD 14
NDSU 28                 Albany 6
SIU 47                    SEMO 21
ND 35                     Idaho State 14
Illinois State 41       Butler 7

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: MVFC Meat Grinder
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 11:49:52 PM »
Plus Indiana State over Eastern Illinois a bit earlier in the week.  Most importantly, the league finished 6-0 against FCS foes.  Embrace the challenge and work harder to catch up with the top of this league.

Based on performances from the first week, you could reasonably state that NDSU is no better than the fourth best team (behind SDSU, Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois.) How crazy is that.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 07:54:08 PM »
The BSC making some noise as well:

EWU over UNLV, and
Griz over #20 Huskies

Same stuff, different day in the MAC as Can’t & Zits get demolished.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 08:22:59 PM »
My favorite FCS upset was ETSU over Vandy (pretty much a blowout), and I have to admit it is somewhat extra amusing that two FBS teams that lost to FCS teams this week play each other next week (Vandy plays Colorado State).

That being said, YSU has a tough task ahead of it in conference this season.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 10:14:31 PM »
In this developmental year, don't obsess about the number of wins. Watch for progress from our young, inexperienced players. Watch to see if the team continues to play hard for this staff as adversity piles up. See if we finish the season strong regardless of the won-lost record.

Next year, with proper development, more transfers and recruits, we should be competitive.  In 2023, we should be good (or it will be time to once again try someone new.)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 01:21:29 PM »
After all the program has gone through, I'm looking for a modicum of competence and integrity. I cannot support a team that self-sabotages and lacks basic ethics. Ws are nice but not at any cost.

So far, I like DP....a lot. However, he and his coordinators need to grow along with the players. Their fright and complete lack of confidence was obvious in the play calling. Ppl want to win but also be entertained. He's also got to lose the damn mask.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 07:48:11 AM »
Nation, so far based on what I've seen it seems that DP is a true caring and upstanding citizen. I am thinking he has a good amount of football knowledge too, will have to see how this turns out.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 09:02:40 AM »
Not to mention Michigan State 38 Northwestern 21
A friend asked me how the season looked and I told him, "we are a lot better offensively than spring, but I think 1-9 might be in the offing."  WTF only 10 games?  We quit in the spring, were we afraid we'd quit on game 11 or 12? 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 04:32:44 PM »
After all the program has gone through, I'm looking for a modicum of competence and integrity. I cannot support a team that self-sabotages and lacks basic ethics. Ws are nice but not at any cost.

So far, I like DP....a lot. However, he and his coordinators need to grow along with the players. Their fright and complete lack of confidence was obvious in the play calling. Ppl want to win but also be entertained. He's also got to lose the damn mask.

I have to politely disagree here.  First game after a year of COVID practices, iffy spring season and a two month turnaround - why would you want to put these inexperienced players in situations that they are not confident and know will not work due to lack of progress or experience.  These are young, hungry coaches also, let them coach the kids to their abilities - not what you expect them to be.  Coaches know talent and what a kid can and cannot do on the field - if you put them in situations they have no confidence in or are not prepared - paralysis through analysis and you get poor play, frozen feet, over guessing and lack of instinctual play.  It is not lack of confidence in play calling, it is coaching to the current abilities of your talent - coaches that expect more than their kids can do, will fail because they are not prepared for what you want from them.  "Are you not entertained?!!"  What is this Gladiator?  You want entertainment watch the NFL...or UFC.  You want a clown on the field?  Pelini was a clown and entertaining to watch on the field - look how well he did?  I love what I am seeing in Phillips so far - lots of intangibles and the kids are wanting to play - that is a big hurdle after the last three years.

GO GUINS!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 09:02:20 PM »

I have to politely disagree here.  First game after a year of COVID practices, iffy spring season and a two month turnaround - why would you want to put these inexperienced players in situations that they are not confident and know will not work due to lack of progress or experience.  These are young, hungry coaches also, let them coach the kids to their abilities - not what you expect them to be.  Coaches know talent and what a kid can and cannot do on the field - if you put them in situations they have no confidence in or are not prepared - paralysis through analysis and you get poor play, frozen feet, over guessing and lack of instinctual play.  It is not lack of confidence in play calling, it is coaching to the current abilities of your talent - coaches that expect more than their kids can do, will fail because they are not prepared for what you want from them.  "Are you not entertained?!!"  What is this Gladiator?  You want entertainment watch the NFL...or UFC.  You want a clown on the field?  Pelini was a clown and entertaining to watch on the field - look how well he did?  I love what I am seeing in Phillips so far - lots of intangibles and the kids are wanting to play - that is a big hurdle after the last three years.

GO GUINS!

I hear ya, but if you’re foregoing the public’s desire to be thrilled and entertained, then you also forego larger crowds and the revenue it brings. Only a select few will spend their precious Saturdays there due to loyalty alone. The University has a product and benefits from its revenue generation. Make it the best show possible is all I saying.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2021, 10:46:51 AM »
At our level loyalty is all you get. Do you think any team, even a Montana, JMU or an NDSU get attendance due to the ability to see big time college football?  They are the only game. Heck, NDSU is one of only 2 teams in the entire state. Youngstown has 4 power-conference teams within just a few hours ride. OSU sells out because they see it on national TV each week and talk on the news every single day 365. There are 10 times more people that want to see a Buckeyes game than can buy tickets. Now if you can figure out how to do this in Youngstown, we are set. In the mean time, you push Penguin club & organizations that promote group ticket sales. You promote tailgating & pay your campus police.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2021, 10:59:41 AM »
At our level loyalty is all you get. Do you think any team, even a Montana, JMU or an NDSU get attendance due to the ability to see big time college football?  They are the only game. Heck, NDSU is one of only 2 teams in the entire state. Youngstown has 4 power-conference teams within just a few hours ride. OSU sells out because they see it on national TV each week and talk on the news every single day 365. There are 10 times more people that want to see a Buckeyes game than can buy tickets. Now if you can figure out how to do this in Youngstown, we are set. In the mean time, you push Penguin club & organizations that promote group ticket sales. You promote tailgating & pay your campus police.
That may have been true, but I'm seeing reports of unsold OSU tickets. 
10,000 TICKETS LEFT TO BE SOLD FOR OSU V. OREGON GAME
With five days to go before the Ohio State football home opener against Oregon at Ohio Stadium, the university still has roughly 10,000 tickets available.

Obviously some of this is covid-related, but still, the home opener vs. a credible P5 team.   How much of this is temporary and how much is caused by the overall fans' change in dynamics about attendance, things like cost, time, length of game/amount of commercials, etc. 

I also dispute the claim they sell out because they are discussed on TV and radio daily.  I would argue they are discussed on TV and radio daily BECAUSE they sell out.  I believe you have the cart before the horse.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2021, 04:52:37 PM »
Most MVFC games are not even started, but as a preliminary update some good and some bad news. Good news, YSU's loss to Michigan State is looking better now with Michigan State blowing out #24 Miami and improving to 3-0 for the season.

Bad news, WIU is playing EWU pretty hard. I am expecting that they are going to give us quite the game next Saturday.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2021, 05:44:38 PM »
Most MVFC games are not even started, but as a preliminary update some good and some bad news. Good news, YSU's loss to Michigan State is looking better now with Michigan State blowing out #24 Miami and improving to 3-0 for the season.

Bad news, WIU is playing EWU pretty hard. I am expecting that they are going to give us quite the game next Saturday.

EWU up 48-21 3 min to go in the FIRST half I hope that  they do not give us a game.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2021, 05:50:30 PM »

EWU up 48-21 3 min to go in the FIRST half I hope that  they do not give us a game.

Make that 55-21 still in the first half.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne