Author Topic: Any word/hype?  (Read 8769 times)

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Any word/hype?
« on: August 13, 2021, 08:33:54 AM »
Very little information coming out of YSU Football camp.  Anybody on hear seen or heard anything of significance?  Wondering how the new qb addition looks.  Wondering about some of the transfer additions, too.  Hoping that the team can continue to show growth and demonstrate another step or two forward this fall

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Any word/hype?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 01:58:27 PM »
Was at the scrimmage today. My uneducated opinion has Crenshaw the starting QB and Davidson the backup. Crenshaw is strong, quick physically, and makes quick decisions.  Can run and pass.  Davidson is more of a drop back QB, but throws the ball very well.

The defensive backs seem good and the new wide out, number 0, seems like the real deal.

Again I am no expert, but that is what I saw. We have hope.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 05:20:39 PM »
Was at the scrimmage today. My uneducated opinion has Crenshaw the starting QB and Davidson the backup. Crenshaw is strong, quick physically, and makes quick decisions.  Can run and pa$$.  Davidson is more of a drop back QB, but throws the ball very well.

The defensive backs seem good and the new wide out, number 0, seems like the real deal.

Again I am no expert, but that is what I saw. We have hope.

Thank you for this desperately needed first-hand account. Crenshaw must at least be in the qb rotation. Since this is a developmental year, let the kid evolve into the job. We already realize that the ceiling for those that played in the spring is low.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 06:30:19 AM »
From today’s Tribune/Vindy:

Penguins hold team scrimmage

QB competition is still ongoing
LOCAL SPORTS
AUG 15, 2021

JOEL WHETZEL
Staff writer
jwhetzel@tribtoday.com

Correspondent photo / Robert Hayes Youngstown State quarterback Demeatric Crenshaw (10) avoids a defender during the Penguins’ team scrimmage Saturday morning at Stambaugh Stadium. Crenshaw threw for 72 yards and a touchdown.

YOUNGSTOWN — With just 19 days until it takes the field against Incarnate Word, the Youngstown State football team held an intrasquad scrimmage on a sunny Saturday morning at Stambaugh Stadium.

The scrimmage, held between the offense and defense, was evenly contested throughout, with both sides of the ball shining at different moments.

Head coach Doug Phillips said overall he was pleased with the effort and with how things shook out.

“We had a goal to come out here and run 100-plus plays, and we accomplished that. I thought we got a lot better,” he said. “We always talk about getting 1 percent better, and I thought we made huge strides today coming and playing a live scrimmage. And I’m talking live for 115 plays. I thought our kids needed that; that’s the only way.

“We believe in developing football players, and when you can give 110 players (reps) — even our (third-stringers) got over 30 plays today. I thought the kids came with great effort and attitude.”

Offensively, the Penguins cycled through four quarterbacks for most of the day — Joe Craycraft, Demeatric Crenshaw, Mark Waid and Mitch Davidson.

Crenshaw showcased his dual-threat abilities, going 9-for-15 for 72 yards and a touchdown in the air, while adding a team-high 51 yards on the ground on seven carries. Often, he was able to extend plays and drives using his feet to escape the pocket as it collapsed or to pick up chunks on designed runs.

His most impressive drive was his third and last — a 13-play, 99-yard march that culminated in a 19-yard Dra Rushton touchdown run. On that drive, Crenshaw nearly connected on a 55-yard bomb out of his own end zone that would’ve put the Penguins across midfield, but his receiver dropped the contested pass.

Meanwhile, Mark Waid, who started most of the spring season, completed 7 of 13 passes for 95 yards and scored on a pair of rushing touchdowns at the goal line. He played in four series.

Joe Craycraft played in five series, connecting on 5 of 15 passes for 64 yards. He was intercepted on one of the drives.

Finally, Mitch Davidson went 11-for-15 for 115 yards in three series, and connected with Chase Glover-Rodgers on a goal-line fade for a touchdown. He also ran four times for 23 yards.

Phillips remains noncommittal on who will be starting when the Penguins take on UIW.

“We have another week and a half of camp. I’ll allow those kids to keep competing,” he said. “We want to put them in situations evenly and see who takes it. When we talk with the team, it’s if you want something, you have to go take it. Hopefully in the next eight days someone takes it.”

Offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Troy Rothenbuhler says the team is seeking someone who will make the right decisions and keep the offense on the right track.

“We have to have great decisions. We saw them compete today, which was good. Everybody came out and was ready to play,” he said. “We have to make sure (the quarterbacks) are communicating, getting everything into the huddle the right way and getting everything operating on the same path. And then they have to keep completing passes.”

Elsewhere on offense, Jorge Portorreal, a transfer from Lehigh, hauled in four receptions for 53 yards, while Bryce Oliver had three catches for 51 yards. Glover-Rodgers had five catches for 50 yards and the goal-line score.

YSU’s passing game went 32-for-73 for 346 yards, two touchdowns and one pick.

In the rushing attack, Ursuline grad Dante Walker had four carries for 49 yards, while Rushton ran four times for 41 yards and a score.

“It was a solid day in both the run and the pass,” Rothenbuhler said. “There was nothing too big. We took a couple shots, and some things broke down whether it was a route, read or protection. It all fits together.”

Of his offense, Phillips commented, “We’re going to continue (to develop), and we have to get the ball downfield. I do believe we have playmakers that showed in spurts of getting the ball downfield to the receivers and tight ends.”

He added, “It was a little mixture of pass and run. I do believe we can run the football. We wanted to come out here and work a little bit on our passing game, which I think we did and made strides there. We’ll continue to do that.”

On defense, Jordan Trowers and Jordan White each had an interception, and Patrick Minenok recorded a sack. White and D’Shaun Tanner led the defense with six tackles apiece, while Logan Pasco had five, including a tackle for loss.

“We have to continue defensively just being able to stop the run,” Phillips noted. YSU’s offense picked up 226 yards on the ground.

Phillips also mentioned he was pleased to see a low amount of penalties, particular before plays began.

“One thing I didn’t see was a lot of pre-snap penalties. We just had one with the (third-strings). We had a timed clock going and seven officials, so to not see a lot of penalties makes me happy that our kids are playing disciplined football.”

The Penguins are off from practice today. Phillips said the team graded its film after the scrimmage.

“We have one more big scrimmage (Saturday). Now it’s getting in there, grading the film, bringing our players back and watching that film and correcting our mistakes,” he said. “Then come Monday, we have to be ready to get back to work.”

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 08:39:36 AM »
  I was at the scrimmage as well.  Agree, Crenshaw likely starter.  I need to see much more than Saturday from him.  I would disagree with comments that Davidson is the backup, he is a D-3 kid, and that is no slam on him.  No mobility and can't play at this level.  Waid is the backup.

Until we find a real deal QB, going to struggle in this conference.  Look at ND ST, they had QB issues last year and it cost them a national title.  They only lost by a FG at eventual national champ Sam Houston State.  But from what I read they have found their QB in Quincy Patterson, a transfer from Va. Tech.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 11:04:52 AM »
I agree we need to find a way to get  better talent.  Wolf was getting us there.  Do you realize that the Bison have had what 2 first round draft choices at QB.  But our one glaring weakness is O line talent.  You need to win the trench game till we do that nothing will change.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 02:06:40 PM »
Has there been another scrimmage?  Have not heard anything and we are running out of time before the season starts.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 02:30:40 PM »
There was supposedly another scrimmage on Friday evening.  No reports anywhere.  No media coverage. No releases from the athletic department.  Absolutely nothing.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 10:26:07 PM »
Can you feel the excitement for the upcoming season. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 08:57:45 AM »
Can you feel the excitement for the upcoming season.
Huh, Oh, you woke me up.  Sorry, nothing here.  I'm not convinced they are actually going to play. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 01:31:35 PM »
I think there is some reason to be excited, but I will just remain cautiously optimistic until after the first game September 2nd. Since we haven't gotten much information that date will tell me what I need to know going forward.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 04:45:24 PM »
Is the opener sold out

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 04:52:54 PM »
I understand that Crenshaw is number 1 and Cracraft is number 2 at QB.  The wide reserver transfers look good and will be the starters.  No more scrimages, just prep for the first game.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 05:51:59 PM »
I understand that Crenshaw is number 1 and Cracraft is number 2 at QB.  The wide reserver transfers look good and will be the starters.  No more scrimages, just prep for the first game.

What did Mark Waid do to fall behind Craycraht ? Craycraft was awful this past spring. If Waid could not improve since spring, we are doomed in the QB position this fall.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 06:27:01 PM »
Where is the QB transfer from West Point?