Author Topic: Upcoming Football Season  (Read 6273 times)

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Upcoming Football Season
« on: July 24, 2021, 11:32:54 AM »
Any word on the upcoming football season. When do the players report, and what is the practice schedule?  Roster changes, players no longer here & any new players?

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming Football Season
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 07:46:47 PM »
Any word on the upcoming football season. When do the players report, and what is the practice schedule?  Roster changes, players no longer here & any new players?

I am surprised that the 2021 roster has still not yet been posted on the website.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 09:53:55 AM »
It is hard to figure out what's going on.  If memory serves we've already played 7 games in 2021 with the mot updated roster on the site as 2020??  Seams like when Phillips quit the season after 7 games EVERYKBODY toke the summer off! 

Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 06:54:53 AM »
The 2021 football roster has been posted on the YSU football website. I just viewed it this morning.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 06:57:05 AM »
We have 7 qbs listed on the roster.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 10:34:09 AM »
Looks like we got this WR as a grad transfer he was all league at Lehigh

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QsS5ST605-0
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 06:49:17 PM »
Love the video of Jorge regardless that it was his highlights.   One wierd thing is the ratio of 7 tds on on 168 catches that comes out to a touchdown for every 24 catches.  Last year both OSU wr had 7 tds on about 50 catches that comes out to a touchdown for every 7 catches.

You can argue that OSU/Lehigh are apple an oranges.  Really could not use YSU wr since our passing game last season was very limited and that's being nice.

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 03:18:37 PM »
We not only need WRs that can get open & catch but a QB who get the ball to them.  Neither of the QBs that played in the spring demonstrated the skills to do this.  They don't appear to have the skill set for us to be competitive in the MVFC.  Going into camp it looks like one of them will be the starter in the fall which means we are in for another disappointing season.   

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 05:58:11 PM »
I hate to be pessimistic.

Forget about catching TD, I would be happy if they could just get open and catch the damn ball.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 02:38:29 PM »
Maybe it is time to move to the OVC.  From top to bottom it is not as good as our present conference.  And wouldn't travel expenses be less?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2021, 10:08:11 PM »
In case you think that we don't have a sufficient number of quarterbacks on our roster, check out this link:

http://coachsink.com/2021/08/holtzclaw-commits-to-ysu/

Phillips and his staff have been relentless while trying to find the "right" fit for us at quarterback. It proves to me that they are fully cognizant of the mess that they inherited and are completely dedicated to turning this program around.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 11:17:34 PM by Wick250 »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 09:22:50 AM »
In case you think that we don't have a sufficient number of quarterbacks on our roster, check out this link:

http://coachsink.com/2021/08/holtzclaw-commits-to-ysu/

Phillips and his staff have been relentless while trying to find the "right" fit for us at quarterback. It proves to me that they are fully cognizant of the mess that they inherited and are completely dedicated to turning this program around.
HUDL highlights look good, but go back and look at HS highlights for Mark Wade.  I've never seen better.  Same for Crenshaw (not sure I remember Craycraft in HS)
In this Olympic season, I wonder what the World Record is for QB's on a roster?  We have 7 so far and signed 2 more this week.  Nine sounds like a lot. Just as a point of reference, the buckeyes have 5 on a roster of 114 players.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 06:07:04 AM »
From today’s Tribune/Vindy

YSU opens camp with split squad, questions at quarterback

LOCAL SPORTS
AUG 5, 2021

JOEL WHETZEL
Staff writer
jwhetzel@tribtoday.com

Correspondent photo / Robert Hayes Youngstown State sophomore quarterback Mark Waid, right, of Girard hands off to junior Dra Rushton, left, of Liberty during a team session on Wednesday. The Penguins opened training camp for the 2021 season.

YOUNGSTOWN — Whistles were blowing, music was blaring and turf dust was flying at Stambaugh Stadium on Wednesday as the Youngstown State football team began its preseason camp.

The Penguins utilized a split-squad approach for Day 1, with half the team reporting for a morning session at 9 a.m. and the other half at 2 p.m..

That method, head coach Doug Phillips said, is something he picked up from Matt Campbell at Iowa State. Phillips served under Campbell as ISU’s director of player personnel in 2016.

“We really liked it (at Iowa State) because it gave opportunities for younger guys. You jump into camp with 110 (players) and rep just the (first- and second-string players), and a lot of kids don’t get those reps,” Phillips said.

With that, Phillips says the Penguins can both teach and evaluate players better to get started, which will pay dividends later on.

“To have that focus … and have a teaching emphasis and the evaluation part of it, I think will make us better,” he said. “We’re putting in the base offense, base defense and special teams, where every young man has an opportunity to get on the field and get that rep. I think that will benefit us in the long run because we’re a developmental program. We have to recruit and then develop these young men over the next four to five years.”

With that comes an onus for the players to take advantage of the reps. Phillips said he liked what he saw in terms of attitude and effort on Day 1, and that players who take advantage of the reps they may not have had could find themselves moving up the depth chart.

Among the positions up for grabs is quarterback, though Phillips said there will be competition at every other position, too.

“They’re competing,” he said. “The quarterback position is just like the running back position, and everyone wants to talk about it. But someone has to go earn it and take that job. We have a lot of young men battling right now, and whoever can come out of camp in the next 25 days and earn it will take the job.”

Of the practices in general, Phillips said, “I thought all our players had a good day today. So we’ll go into film and then just dig deeper and let them know where they are each and every day. … Just like last year, Jaleel McLaughlin took the running back job, that’s what we’re looking for not just at quarterback, but at all our positions.”

McLaughlin burst onto the scene and was named to the Preseason All-Missouri Valley Football Conference Second Team ahead of this season.

The fall camp is also a welcome change of pace from all of the COVID-19 uncertainty during the spring. Phillips says the Penguins can simply focus on football.

“I think it’s more of a mindset for our kids now that they know the expectation and know the standard for when they come out on the field and go into meetings,” Phillips said. “The COVID-19 and the mask-wearing and all that, the locker room and how we left the field, now it’s practice and we’re focused on one thing — us getting better every day. So tomorrow when we come on the field, I want us to get 1 percent better than we did today, and that’s the focus for the next 25 days.”

He added, “We’re trying to focus on the things we can control, and the things we can control are the preparation and coming out here with our effort and attitude.”

The Penguins open their season Thursday, Sept. 2 at home against Incarnate Word.