Author Topic: Womens Basketball #2 (where it really counts!)  (Read 2297 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Womens Basketball #2 (where it really counts!)
« on: July 14, 2021, 10:22:23 AM »
For the second straight season, the Youngstown State women's basketball team posted the second-best grade-point average among all Division I teams with an impressive 3.874 during the 2020-21 academic year.

The Penguins, who have now been among the top 10 teams in five of the past six seasons on the Women's Basketball Coaches Association's Academic Top 25 Team Honor Roll, posted their highest GPA on record in 2020-21. YSU's student-athletes had a combined GPA of 3.897 in the fall and 3.850 in the spring.

"I am extremely proud of the 2020-21 team for their efforts both on and off the court! The players and staff worked very hard to have a winning season on the court and to fight for a top spot in the nation academically off it," said YSU head coach John Barnes. "YSU Women's Basketball has been ranked in the top 25 nationally 10 of the past 11 years, and that says a lot about the culture and focus of the program. Congratulations to each player and staff member for helping achieve this great honor!"

Maine led the nation with a 3.900 GPA, and Youngstown State edged fellow Horizon League member Robert Morris for the second spot. The Colonials had a 3.824 as the only other conference team in the top 25. In the last six years, YSU has finished second twice, third, seventh, 10th and 24th.

Youngstown State made its debut on the prestigious list in 2010-11, and it has possessed one of the nation's top 25 GPAs in 10 of the last 11 seasons. No other program in the country has accomplished that feat. Previously, the Penguins were second in 2019-20, third in 2015-16, sixth in 2011-12, seventh in 2018-19, 10th in 2017-18, 17th in both 2010-11 and 2012-13, 22nd in 2014-15 and 24th in 2016-17.

Individually, YSU had 11 student-athletes record a 4.0 in at least one semester during the year. Mady Aulbach, Mary Dunn, Gabby Lupardus, Malia Magestro, Chelsea Olson, McKenah Peters, Emma Randall, Lexi Wagner and Jen Wendler had a 4.0 in both semesters, and Amara Chikwe and Maddie Schires had a 4.0 in the fall.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Womens Basketball #2 (where it really counts!)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 01:18:04 PM »
This happens so often that it is easy to not fully appreciate the nature of this accomplishment. It should make us all very proud.  I hope that Barnes can continue to recruit this type of athlete in the new "Wild West" culture of people transferring in and out.  The fact that all six of the remaining players from last season are 4.0 students is a solid foundation.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Womens Basketball #2 (where it really counts!)
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 09:30:39 AM »
There was a commercial from a few years ago that says, in essence: There are thousands of college athletes, and almost all of them will earn a living in something other than sports."  Yes, lots of OSU football players made a living in the NFL, but in a good year, they are about 30% of the OSU football team, while there are still hundreds of athletes there and almost every player at YSU, KSU UA etc. that must also "get a job".  Glad to see the coaches and administration at YSU are focused on the "big picture".  Wick is 100% right, we should all be proud!
I have slightly inside information on incoming freshman Athena Hocevar.  A couple of my grandkids favorite teacher was Mrs. Hocevar, and her daughter is going to be a welcome addition to the YSU family, (plus she and her boyfriend can both play!)
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!