Author Topic: Nittany lions mens basketball  (Read 4453 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Nittany lions mens basketball
« on: November 07, 2021, 06:20:43 PM »
Wednesday 8:30 on the big ten channel.

Nine new players between transfers and freshmen.  Lost two good ones in Naz and DQ.

Who starts ?    I'm thinking Covington,Akuchie,Rathan Mayes and not sure who else.  Dwayne Cohill was a former 4 star who played at Dayton and Tevin Olison put up big numbers at the naia level seem to give the Penguins some fire power.
Jamir Thomas has great size but coach seems to like those 6'5" to 6'6" guys that can play three positions.   Myles Hunter fits the discription and showed flashes last season.

Not sure about the frosh although Josh Irwin has an upper classmen body and can stroke it from behind the line.

Hampton trasfer Chris Shelton Has two years of D1 experience and put up a high percentage from the 3 pt line. 
Hopefully Alex Vargo, Will Dunn  and Daniel Ogoro can take their games to a new level with last years experience. 

Grayson Kelly was hurt last season and Owen Long another tranfer that averged 19 a game at sub d1 level might get some minutes.

With so many guys with an expended(covid)roster it looks like there are more questions at this time.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Nittany lions mens basketball
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 04:49:38 PM »
Coach said today that Gurley, Lucarotti and Irwin will red shirt.  Probably more will be added with a 17 team roster.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 05:20:27 PM »
Gonna be an interesting year. Lots of pieces to try and fit together.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 09:31:47 AM »
Sounds like Covington, Akuchie, Rathan-Mayes, Cohill & Olison will get the start.

PSU is an 18-point favorite

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 02:56:19 PM »
Sounds like Covington, Akuchie, Rathan-Mayes, Cohill & Olison will get the start.

PSU is an 18-point favorite

That sounds like a 4 guard offense but might be their best option.  I'm thinking that might be a full court pressing line up.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 03:59:21 PM »
From today’s Tribune/Vinny

Penguins open season at Penn State

YSU SPORTS
NOV 10, 2021

JOEL WHETZEL
Staff writer
jwhetzel@tribtoday.com

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — Eight returners, five transfers, four new recruits and a whole lot of early-season questions.

It was an offseason of transition for the Youngstown State men’s basketball team, as the Penguins were tasked with replacing some of their brightest stars from a season ago.

Gone are YSU’s top two leading scorers from the 2020-2021 campaign, Naz Bohannon (16.5 ppg) and Darius Quisenberry (14.9 ppg), among others. They transferred to Clemson and Fordham, respectively.

But the Penguins aren’t without talent on this year’s squad, and Jerrod Calhoun is pleased with the additions YSU was able to make via the transfer portal.

Former four-star recruit Dwayne Cohill joined the Penguins after spending three seasons — the last of which he missed due to injury — at Atlantic 10 powerhouse Dayton. He and Tevin Olison, a two-time NAIA All-American from the University of the Cumberlands, are expected to crack the starting five in the early goings.

“The portal’s been good to us. I think we did a really good job of addressing some of our needs,” YSU head coach Jerrod Calhoun said.

Of Cohill and Olison, he added, “Those are two guys that we’re going to rely on pretty heavily — two really good guards. Both guys are older and have been around college basketball for a long time. I think they’re going to have a big impact.”

Calhoun said he expects Chris Shelton, a transfer from Hampton University, to contribute as well. Shelton led the nation in 3-point shooting last season.

And, of course, the Penguins have some returning firepower, too. Shemar Rathan-Mayes returns to YSU after leading the Penguins in 3-pointers made last season with 40. He also made the All-Horizon League Freshman Team a season ago.

Also back are fifth-year seniors Michael Akuchie and Garrett Covington, undoubtedly the team leaders and heart and soul of this year’s squad. Akuchie averaged 9.9 points and 8.3 rebounds per game last season, while Covington contributed 12.5 points and 4.6 boards per game.

“Those three kids have been great,” Calhoun said of the returning trio, and also highlighted Jamir Thomas (senior, forward) and Daniel Ogoro (redshirt sophomore, guard).

“I would say those five guys are kind of the pulse, kind of the leaders of the pack,” Calhoun said. “They’ve been great. So you’re going to rely on those guys. They’ve played a lot of minutes for us here at Youngstown, and they’ve done a great job so far.”

Covington says the roster is meshing well, and expects the Penguins to shoot better in the 2021-2022 campaign.

“Last year we were ranked closer to the bottom (YSU was 10th out of 12 Horizon League teams in field goal percentage), but this year I think it’s going to completely flip,” Covington said.

YSU will put that optimism and blend of new talent and returning veterans to the test tonight, as the Penguins visit Penn State for an 8:30 p.m. season opener that will be televised on the B1G Network.

Like Youngstown State, the Nittany Lions feature a heavy dose of new faces. Penn State, which finished 11-14 last season against a Big Ten-only schedule, welcomed five new players via the portal and three as walk-ons. PSU does not have a freshman on its team.

Via transfers, Penn State added Jaheam Cornwall (Gardner-Webb), Jalen Pickett (Siena), Greg Lee (Western Michigan), Jalanni White (Canisius) and Jevonnie Scott (South Plans, a junior college). Walk-ons Dan Conlan (D3 Dickinson), Irekefe Oweh (D2 Thomas Aquinas) and Ishaan Jagiasi, who did not previously play college basketball. Cornwall and Pickett have each eclipsed 1,000 career points, as Cornwall has 1,213 and Pickett 1,139.

Also new to the Penn State program this year is head coach Micah Shrewsberry, who spent the previous two years as an assistant under Matt Painter at Purdue. He also spent six years as an assistant with the Boston Celtics.

Calhoun said he doesn’t personally know Shrewsberry, but felt “it was an awesome hire.”

Shrewsberry and his newcomers have seven returners alongside them, including the team’s leading scorer from last year, forward Seth Lundy (10.1 ppg). Fifth-year senior John Harrar, another forward, also is back after earning All-Big Ten honorable mention last season. He averaged 8.8 rebounds per game.

Covington says the Penguins are expecting a guard-heavy Nittany Lions squad that likes “to shoot a lot of three-pointers.”

He added, “So we know what we have to do to contain those drives and not let them beat us by shooting threes. (We’ll) just stick to our principles, what we’ve been taught throughout these past few weeks and even in the summer, and just stay locked in.”

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 09:34:39 AM »
I didn't get a chance to watch the game other than the highlights.  Looks like scoreless droughts in both halfs were the daggers.  YSU was up 21-17 then got outscored 18-5 to end the first half.  YSU was down only 6 points with 7 minutes to go then went 5 minutes without scoring and found themselves down 18. 

Strong game from Akuchie with 22 points & 10 rebounds.  Good to see him go 4-7 from 3.  I think he's going to have a monster year.  Olison and Cohill combined for just 3-18 shooting and 7 points.  Chris Shelton who led the nation in 3-point shooting % less year came off the bench and shot 3-6 from 3.  YSU did shoot nearly 42% from 3.  That was an area really lacking last year so hopefully that improves.

YSU only played 9 guys.  Only 3 mins for Jamir Thomas.  No PT for Kelley, Ogoro, Vargo, and Dunn.  Myles Hunter played 15 mins but didn't even shoot. 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 04:02:17 PM »
For not watching the game Mud,you're spot on on your a$$essment.   Akuchie played great defense and was attacking on offense.  He is a grown man and has come so far since he was a freshmen.

Garret Covington played well but needs more than 7 shots.  He busted his behind on both ends.    Mayes was steady at the point and he'll have games later in the year where he will be moe productive.

Cohill and Olison were the missing link to an upset last night .   First game in a Penguin uniform and perhaps were pressing and when their shots were not going in it probably compounded their anxiety.    Jamir got some quick fouls and he looks a little thick to me.  After missing last season he's going to need minutes to get his game going.

Really liked Shelton coming off the bench and hitting 3's.  Need to see more of him to get a feel what his total game is.   Luke Chicone held up nice as a back up PG.   Big stage at the Joyce center for his first collegiate game.

I thought there was a lack of help defense especially when Sessions for PSU looked like he was in a lay up line the 2nd half.  Guys need to help out on D since we lack a rim protector.  Wish coach would get one of those aircraft carriers.

I had a feeling the big guy for PSU was going to be a problem.  Saw him play the Buckeyes last year and they had a hard time with him.
Went to bed disappointed but I'm still excited with what coach has put together and hopefully Cohill and Olison can bring the juice to make this team special.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 04:04:16 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 07:28:11 PM »
For not watching the game Mud,you're spot on on your a$$essment.   Akuchie played great defense and was attacking on offense.  He is a grown man and has come so far since he was a freshmen.

Garret Covington played well but needs more than 7 shots.  He busted his behind on both ends.    Mayes was steady at the point and he'll have games later in the year where he will be moe productive.

Cohill and Olison were the missing link to an upset last night .   First game in a Penguin uniform and perhaps were pressing and when their shots were not going in it probably compounded their anxiety.    Jamir got some quick fouls and he looks a little thick to me.  After missing last season he's going to need minutes to get his game going.

Really liked Shelton coming off the bench and hitting 3's.  Need to see more of him to get a feel what his total game is.   Luke Chicone held up nice as a back up PG.   Big stage at the Joyce center for his first collegiate game.

I thought there was a lack of help defense especially when Sessions for PSU looked like he was in a lay up line the 2nd half.  Guys need to help out on D since we lack a rim protector.  Wish coach would get one of those aircraft carriers.

I had a feeling the big guy for PSU was going to be a problem.  Saw him play the Buckeyes last year and they had a hard time with him.
Went to bed disappointed but I'm still excited with what coach has put together and hopefully Cohill and Olison can bring the juice to make this team special.

I listened to Coach Calhoun's post-game interview on WKBN.  He noted Jamir wasn't ready to play.  Seemed pretty disappointed and said they may need to get Will Dunn ready. 

Coach was really disappointed in rebounding.  YSU got out-rebounded 43-25.  Sounds like that was a carryover from the 2 scrimmages against Duquesne and St. Francis. 

Coach also seemed disappointed in some of the shot selection with the mid-range jumpers.

I thought YSU would be competitive with PSU and would cover the 18-point line.  I'd say the game was a lot closer than the 16-point deficit.  I think if you had said YSU would hold PSU to 75 and only have 8 turnovers to PSU's 10 you'd take that, but obviously the rebounding differential was a killer. 

Looking ahead to SEMO, YSU handled them 2 years ago at home 65-50.  SEMO beat Missouri State 99-94 on Tuesday. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2021, 09:35:43 PM »
Can pretty much expect to get out rebounded in every game this year when you start a 6-5 player at the 4 spot.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2021, 06:39:59 PM »
Can pretty much expect to get out rebounded in every game this year when you start a 6-5 player at the 4 spot.

Bingo!

You always hear coaches saying that you can box out and out work your opponent but when your opponent has the same mentality then size does matter.