YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Other Sports

(1/3) > >>

Penquin68:
Not much on here about the minor sports at YSU, some of which are doing from respectable to very good.  I follow baseball, softball, track, bowling, and golf mostly.  In the past many time these sports were at the bottom of the standings year after year.  Now it seems only volleyball is on hard times.   Bowling just competed in the final four of D1 bowling. Softball is in first place and on the verge of hosting the league championship tournament. Baseball is in 3rd place and is the only team to beat first place Wright State, 3 times in 8 games against them.  Top 4 teams make the tournament. Track and field are perennial champs in that area with Brian Gorby doing an outstanding job for many years.  Women's golf is very competitive and Men's golf is respectable.  They are currently in the league tournament and the women's team is in 1st place. So overall I think the minor sports are competitive and not an embarrassment like many years in the past. Of all the bashing on this site of Ron Strollo and his management, I think he has done a great job in all sports given the limited recourses we have compared to the competition. In all cases our competition does not sponsor football at the FCS full scholarship level and in most cases are in markets much larger than ours and many more business that are successful and can donate to college sports teams and facilities. Think about raising money for an update of our basketball facilities in Youngstown compared to Cleveland, Detroit, Dayton, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, or Chicago. That is what we are up against. We need to be good to accomplish what we have in that environment.

go guins:
Nice note, unfortunately I am like almost all on this site, it isn't about football, nobody cares.
I go to all football I can, a couple BB (M & W) a year and couldn't care less about what is apparently a damn good bowling team. 
Any update on the Beeghly remodel?

Wick250:
68, Good post.  I also follow the "other sports" very closely. I do disagree with one of your points.  I think that schools like Cleveland State, Detroit, Oakland, UIC, IUPUI, and Milwaukee are afterthoughts in their pro sports communities. Robert Morris is a distant fourth in Pittsburgh behind Pitt, Penn State, and Duquesne. Wright State is the "second fiddle" behind the University of Dayton. Although there is certainly more money available for donations in the large cities, I am not sure these schools get many contributions beyond loyal alumni.  Donors here who seek favorable publicity have always given generously to YSU.  Consider the sold out football loges and the contributions to the WATTS, the track/softball complex, and the tennis center.

The softball team needs to win just 4 out of the 8 remaining games to clinch the regular season title and the right to host the four-team tournament. Considering that the next four games are against Cleveland State who does not pitch, field, or hit very well, I like our chances to clinch this weekend.

go guins:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on April 26, 2021, 01:45:28 PM ---
The softball team needs to win just 4 out of the 8 remaining games to clinch the regular season title and the right to host the four-team tournament. Considering that the next four games are against Cleveland State who does not pitch, field, or hit very well, I like our chances to clinch this weekend.

--- End quote ---
But I hear they do a mean rhythmic cheer from the dugout!

Sorry, just struct me as funny, can't pitch, catch or hit just about covers it!  For the record 10-30 overall and 5-23 in the conference, so your evaluation seems on point.

Double ET:

In the past, in the YSU faculty meetings, the sport expenditures summary was regularly discussed as part of the discussions on academic vs athletic spendings in the university.

Couple of years ago, a sport spending report was reviewed. It compared the athletic spending at YSU to other universities in Horizon League (also a including a few Ohio universities in MAC).

It showed YSU’s spending was similar to other Horizon League schools. Obviously, we are the only school in the league with a football program (RMU was not part of the league at that time). Clearly, the other schools spent a lot more $$l than YSU on sports excluding football. Their expenditures on MBB and WBB were especially higher than ours.

Therefore, I am at times surprised that our non-football sports have actually been very competitive (except for Women soccer) although the operations of our athletic department are still locked into the last century.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version