Author Topic: NCAA Violations  (Read 9033 times)

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA Violations
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2021, 09:21:45 AM »
One can criticize the compliance department  for not making sure Pelini took the tests, but please, Pelini had no sense of responsibility beyond himself since he arrived on campus. He was surly, resented community events, was lazy about recruiting, behaved badly during games, so much so that a "pelini rule" was added.  He never accepted that he reported to anyone. So he avoided what seemed to him trivial and unnecessary and suffers no consequence.  I would bet that he is the only coach on staff who didnt take the test.  Then he leaves as soon as his Nebraska pay ends. What a guy!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2021, 09:47:30 AM »
I believe that there were 2 other coaches that did not do the test.

Bo certainly was unique, trying to be polite here, but regardless who the coach is it falls to the compliance folks to do their job. And it ultimately falls on the AD to make sure that everyone in the department does their job.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2021, 09:37:02 AM »
Two things, first this HURTS really bad when we NEED to have better recruiting and this violation has just FURTHER hurt our recruiting potential for the next two years.

Second, IDK about YSU but at the company I work for the compliance departments are brutal as is our management on ensuring we are in compliance. If I'm 3 months away from hitting a deadline that I have to have some yearly training done by to be in compliance I'm getting yelled at. If I fail to complete the training before the deadline it will have consequences for performance review and raise and could lead to further discipline or termination, but I know damn well the DAY BEFORE I would be non-compliant I would get pulled from my duties and put in a room to finish the test. Upon completion there would be someone requiring to see the results to confirm I pa$$ed and then I would likely have a performance review on the spot with my immediate supervisor.

ALL that is said to say, sending a reminder that he didn't take the test is not enough. They needed to go into enforcement and ensure he wasn't recruiting if he wasn't compliant. That is literally part of the compliance department's responsibility (yes it sucks having to babysit people but this is usually not a big deal).

Spot on.  It appears that no person in the athletic departement has any real managment experience.  His contract shold have had a clause that allowed YSU to fine him (not pay pay him.  That is how you get complaince.....through thier pay. That should apply to all on his staff.  How much do you want to bet that this was NOT in his contract.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2021, 10:27:50 AM »
Two things, first this HURTS really bad when we NEED to have better recruiting and this violation has just FURTHER hurt our recruiting potential for the next two years.

Second, IDK about YSU but at the company I work for the compliance departments are brutal as is our management on ensuring we are in compliance. If I'm 3 months away from hitting a deadline that I have to have some yearly training done by to be in compliance I'm getting yelled at. If I fail to complete the training before the deadline it will have consequences for performance review and raise and could lead to further discipline or termination, but I know damn well the DAY BEFORE I would be non-compliant I would get pulled from my duties and put in a room to finish the test. Upon completion there would be someone requiring to see the results to confirm I pa$$ed and then I would likely have a performance review on the spot with my immediate supervisor.

ALL that is said to say, sending a reminder that he didn't take the test is not enough. They needed to go into enforcement and ensure he wasn't recruiting if he wasn't compliant. That is literally part of the compliance department's responsibility (yes it sucks having to babysit people but this is usually not a big deal).

Spot on.  It appears that no person in the athletic departement has any real managment experience.  His contract shold have had a clause that allowed YSU to fine him (not pay pay him.  That is how you get complaince.....through thier pay. That should apply to all on his staff.  How much do you want to bet that this was NOT in his contract.

About withholding pay, I agree with you in principle but with BP I do not think that it would work in reality. The money he got from YSU was a drop in the bucket. Now with the assistants withholding pay would get their attention.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2021, 07:07:27 PM »
What a profoundly mismanaged program.

When you tolerate a HC recruiting an internationally infamous convicted gang rapist, you must expect additional problems. The AD and HC should have been terminated immediately. In exchange for sacrificing the University’s reputation, you didn’t even get a winning program (The natty was with Wolf recruits).

Winning and ethics go hand in hand.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2021, 03:28:33 PM »
Hard to say that Nation. No One gave more "second chances" than coach Tressel. He was lauded for it. This is not to say that Bo was not a jerk.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 03:40:26 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2021, 08:02:55 PM »
Pelini's coaching career is over
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 08:04:00 PM by YSU1 »