Author Topic: NCAA Violations  (Read 8947 times)

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
NCAA Violations
« on: April 20, 2021, 02:09:43 PM »
Ok. Let’s hear it. What do we know other than the press release.
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA Violationsrep
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 04:24:06 PM »
Did someone turn us in or did we self -report the violations.  The penalties seem pretty harsh.  A new low for us. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA Violations
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 04:25:49 PM »
Well that sucks bigtime, so who is in charge of the compliance office?  Sounds like they did not follow up.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA Violationsrep
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 04:26:37 PM »
Did someone turn us in or did we self -report the violations.  The penalties seem pretty harsh.  A new low for us.

We found out when LSU requested paperwork.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 04:42:50 PM »
WOW. Wonderful news... So, it seems like the compliance department needs a bit of a shakeup too.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 05:17:17 PM »
At many schools, an athletic director who lost control over the primary sport would be fired.  We will probably give our athletic director a raise.

In no way do I excuse or condone our behavior, but the NCAA changed the nature of college athletics with their ill-conceived new transfer rules.  Tampering will become a way of life. Schools that are victimized by talent raids will have to conduct their own raids just to survive.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 05:37:09 PM »
Lol thanks Bo. What a clown...

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 05:44:17 PM »
It was pre-covid when the athletic department was tripping over each other because of too much staff.  No excuses. Wick is right the AD will likely get a raise. 

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 08:22:30 PM »
It actually sounds more like a Bo issue than an AD issue. According to the article he was informed of being out of compliance

"Pelini is not named in the NCAA's report, but he's identified as the former head coach who was hired by another school in January 2020. When LSU hired Pelini, it contacted Youngstown State to request Pelini's Coaches Certification (Recruiting) Test score, but YSU discovered that Pelini and two a$$istants hadn't taken the annual test.

Pelini had been notified by YSU's compliance office in the summer of 2019 that he hadn't taken the test, but he never took it and continued to recruit anyway. This is a violation of NCAA recruiting rules and resulted in impermissible contact with 16 prospects and impermissible evaluations of two more. "

I wonder if LSU could have any penalties for hiring a coach who was actively violating recruitment compliance
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 08:23:28 PM by Kandrase »

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 09:46:35 PM »
The AD is accountable as he over sees the department.  Hence, the title Athletic Director.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 06:30:50 AM »

I wonder if LSU could have any penalties for hiring a coach who was actively violating recruitment compliance

This is an interesting observation.
So far, Bo’s violations occurred when he was at YSU.
However, we don’t know if he has corrected his mistakes before working at LSU or whether LSU has neither self reported nor investigated by NCAA up to this point.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 08:46:55 AM »
  Agree with much of what all of you say.  I point the finger at Bo, but Strollo is the CEO of the athletic department.  He was afraid of Bo, and would not hold Bo accountable.  Bo looked at this job as a hobby and so did his staff.  Lazy and it shows.

As for big picture with Strollo, he is average at best. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 10:26:30 AM »
  Agree with much of what all of you say.  I point the finger at Bo, but Strollo is the CEO of the athletic department.  He was afraid of Bo, and would not hold Bo accountable.  Bo looked at this job as a hobby and so did his staff.  Lazy and it shows.

As for big picture with Strollo, he is average at best.
Average?  What do you see that would elevate him to average?  If the boss is afraid of the employee, how is the boss "average".  I see him as several steps below average.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 02:13:48 PM »
Two things, first this HURTS really bad when we NEED to have better recruiting and this violation has just FURTHER hurt our recruiting potential for the next two years.

Second, IDK about YSU but at the company I work for the compliance departments are brutal as is our management on ensuring we are in compliance. If I'm 3 months away from hitting a deadline that I have to have some yearly training done by to be in compliance I'm getting yelled at. If I fail to complete the training before the deadline it will have consequences for performance review and raise and could lead to further discipline or termination, but I know damn well the DAY BEFORE I would be non-compliant I would get pulled from my duties and put in a room to finish the test. Upon completion there would be someone requiring to see the results to confirm I passed and then I would likely have a performance review on the spot with my immediate supervisor.

ALL that is said to say, sending a reminder that he didn't take the test is not enough. They needed to go into enforcement and ensure he wasn't recruiting if he wasn't compliant. That is literally part of the compliance department's responsibility (yes it sucks having to babysit people but this is usually not a big deal).