Author Topic: Season over  (Read 9408 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Season over
« on: April 14, 2021, 07:41:43 PM »
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) – The 2021 spring season is over for the YSU football team.

Saturday’s home game against North Dakota has been canceled. A release from the Missouri Valley Football Conference says that YSU determined today they could not play the game on Saturday after playing a league-high seven games.

The Penguins finish the campaign with a (1-6) overall record. They are one of the four teams in the league to manage just one win this season.

Wednesday’s announcement means that no team in the Missouri Valley Football Conference will complete the full 8-game regular season as planned.

Illinois State opted out after just four games, and Western Illinois after 6 games to “protect the health and safety of the players and ensure their readiness for the upcoming 2021 fall 11-game slate.”

South Dakota had their final four games cancelled due, in part, to COVID concerns.

All fans who purchased tickets for Saturday’s game have the option to request a refund or donate to YSU’s World Penguin Day Campaign for Athletic scholarships and championship rings. To confirm your option please call the ticket office at (330) 941-1978, or visit the Athletic Ticket Office in Stambaugh Stadium.

YSU opens the fall slate on Thursday, Sept. 2, against Incarnate Word from the Southland Conference at Stambaugh Stadium.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Season over
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 07:42:20 PM »
Anyone have an idea as to what happened?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 08:10:24 PM »
Covid in the UND program

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 08:42:40 PM »
No Covid issues, YSU quit.  ND wanted to play this game, they are not happy.  Phillips opted not to play because of injuries.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 09:16:36 PM »
Just does not feel right, knew about injuries days ago and that is not a good excuse anyway.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 11:44:58 PM »
Does the AD have a plan for the 9 game schedule this upcoming fall? 

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 01:04:41 AM »
come on. what an illinois state move!

i wanted to see you guys physically dominant them

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 08:23:16 AM »
In the immortal words of the greatest philosopher of the 20th century, Cuba Gooding Jr.  "show me the money"
Not ticket sales to cover costs, no game. 
Good grief, does ANYONE believe the league>  THEY approved the schedule!
Does ANYONE believe YSU, "the players need more time to devote to academics?  THEY recruited them to play 12 games in a season not 8, WTF believes any of this crap?  It's ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 09:25:15 AM »
Just heard Hannon on the radio and it seems that DP made the call. I think it was a bad move and not consistent with what he has been preaching.

Game will not be a forfeit  and can really put the screws to Missouri St and NDU with the upcoming playoffs.

Playoffs will be a joke this year anyway, football is over until Sept.

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 11:22:39 AM »
Kind of ironic the coach who has been stressing that the players not quit & keep going till the end of the game quits.  And it makes us look like a bunch of pu$$ys instead of or blue collar tough nose image that he talks about.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 11:50:31 AM »
Kind of ironic the coach who has been stressing that the players not quit & keep going till the end of the game quits.  And it makes us look like a bunch of pu$$ys instead of or blue collar tough nose image that he talks about.
I had similar reaction when I heard the cancellation. At first, I thought ND had COVID-19 issues again until I learned that it was us.

It is hard for me to digest. The coach has stressed two things continuously since he took over the program. One, this is Youngstown and we have this tough, hard working  & never quit attitude, even during tough times. Second, our players can only getting better by playing the game and they don’t get better by just practicing.

By canceling the game, he failed on both.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2021, 12:43:06 PM »
Maybe the coach knows more than we do about why UND canceled the originally scheduled game? Non the less , YSU football is a shell of its self at this point. We'll be fortunate to win 3 maybe 4 games in the fall. You have to assume we'll lose every road game so realistically only 2 wins.

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 10:55:19 AM »
I hope the coaches are using the downtime researching the transfer portal.  We need immediate help on offense OL, QB the top 2 don't appear to be D1 talent, WR can't get open and can't catch when they are, RB we have a good back in JM but we need backup to spell him hopefully someone with size.

Missouri State did a good job in getting help hopefully our coaches can do the same.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 05:29:39 PM »
Maybe the coach knows more than we do about why UND canceled the originally scheduled game? Non the less , YSU football is a shell of its self at this point. We'll be fortunate to win 3 maybe 4 games in the fall. You have to a$$ume we'll lose every road game so realistically only 2 wins.

This team showed sparks of good football and competed with just about every team they played, they are young and inconsistent but I think they could be a really good team in the fall. QB situation needs to improve but our running game was remarkable considering our young oline. If we can run the ball we can compete in the MVFC

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2021, 07:07:14 PM »
I hope the coaches are using the downtime researching the transfer portal.  We need immediate help on offense OL, QB the top 2 don't appear to be D1 talent, WR can't get open and can't catch when they are, RB we have a good back in JM but we need backup to spell him hopefully someone with size.

Missouri State did a good job in getting help hopefully our coaches can do the same.

So, what has happened to our 3 star QB Freshman recruit? Are our coaches writing him off?
Wade played in 4 games in his redshirt freshman year.  I hope Crenshaw gets to play in a few games in the fall even if DP decides to redshirt him.