Author Topic: Basketball Transfer Portal  (Read 29042 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball Transfer Portal
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2021, 03:56:56 PM »
Cheick Traore is transfering per verbal commits.

I didn’t even know he was in the transfer portal. We need to get some bigs transferring in from the portal. I hate to see us playing with 5 guard’s in the game next year

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2021, 07:28:39 PM »
Michael Akuche 6-8 sr
Jamir Thomas 6-8 sr
William Dunn 6-8 soph
Josh Irwin 6-7 frosh
Jacori Owens 6-9 frosh

Two offers on guys both 6-8 in the transfer portal.  Hopefully we'll get one of them.
There's a little size.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2021, 10:10:53 AM »
Cheick Traore is transfering per verbal commits.

That's disappointing.  With him just being a freshman, thought he had some potential and was hoping he'd stick around and improve each year.  For a big man, he actually had a nice shot it appeared from the FT line as well. 

Has anyone heard if Greyson Kelley is returning? 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2021, 11:51:29 AM »
So what is the real problem here for both women and men?

Coaches?

Facilities?

Lack of fan support?

Lack of winning?

Lack of things to do near campus?

Other?

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2021, 02:26:29 PM »
Guinpen, I will take a shot at this.

First, separate the men and the women. The women lost their entire non-conference season to Covid and struggled in the league around the .500 mark. They did lose some players in the transfer portal, including an exceptionally good freshman.  But Barnes has brought in transfers that, collectively, might be better than what he lost.  That includes a 6'4" center from Duquesne and a 6'1" D2 All-American from Wheeling. After watching McLaughlin run, I don't dismiss D2 All-Americans anymore.  The women also have a winning tradition that goes back decades and better fan support than any Ohio MAC program.

Our living facilities used to consist of one ancient dorm.  Now modern apartments surround the campus. The campus environment seems to be just fine for the Olympic sports teams that win consistently.  So for the men, it all comes down to either history of losing, facilities, fan support, or coaching.

Decades of losing might be a big problem.  I don't know how much recruits consider history. Fan support is generally poor, but actually better than half of the teams in the Horizon League.  The gym has a high school feel with the retractable bleachers, but the locker rooms and conference room for the players are now top notch. Hopefully, in two years the seating will be upgraded.

That leads us to coaching. Calhoun is a big upgrade from Slocum in many ways, including public relations. But the performance this year was below where it should have been. But Calhoun and every coach gets their "covid" pass this year.  If he does not win next year, we have a problem.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2021, 02:57:42 PM »
I think the free agent sytem (transfer portal) is not just isolated to YSU but is to all of college basketball.  If you just completed your freshman season and sat the bench and you see a bunch of new recruits then maybe it's a good option.  I know a lot of us want to see these guys work and develop but w're not privy to the dialogue that the coach and the player are having.  It looks like everyone is going to lose some and gain some.   Not sure we're bringing in anyone as good as naz & DQ but collectively with all the newcomers and what is returning they might just surprise us.

Mud, I'm also curious about Kelly's status.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2021, 10:27:56 PM »
Naz is off to the ACC and picks Clemson.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2021, 05:21:39 AM »

Can’t really blame him for leaving YSU for Clemson. Hope he gets playing time.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2021, 07:49:12 AM »

Easier to understand then Fordham
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2021, 08:45:02 AM »

Easier to understand then Fordham

They might promise DQ in the starting lineup or extensive playing time.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2021, 05:43:28 PM »
Naz busted his butt for four years for the Penguins.   Can't blame the guy for going to a higher level.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2021, 08:53:11 PM »
Naz busted his butt for four years for the Penguins.   Can't blame the guy for going to a higher level.

Not to mention that he had made tremendous improvements to his game at both ends of the basket (as well as his efforts) each year at YSU. Clemson clearly recognized that. His hard work pays off.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2021, 09:01:33 AM »
 Naz a solid player, but he will struggle to get playing time at Clemson.  They were a tournament team a year ago with many key players returning.  This is a huge jump in class from the Horizon League to the ACC.  I may be wrong, we will see, but I see him getting limited minutes.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2021, 05:04:01 PM »
Naz a solid player, but he will struggle to get playing time at Clemson.  They were a tournament team a year ago with many key players returning.  This is a huge jump in cla$$ from the Horizon League to the ACC.  I may be wrong, we will see, but I see him getting limited minutes.

He would get more playing time if could reliably hit those 10-12 feet jump shots which he was unable to do at YSU.