Author Topic: Track and Field Signs Nation's Top Shot-Putter  (Read 4395 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Track and Field Signs Nation's Top Shot-Putter
« on: March 12, 2021, 02:29:26 PM »
The Youngstown State track and field program has received a signed National Letter of Intent from the nation's top-ranked high school shot put senior recruit in Connor Vass-Gal, head coach Brian Gorby announced Friday.

"Our track and field staff is very excited to have Connor join our championship-caliber throws family as an athlete and a great person," Gorby said. "We look forward to supporting throws coach Megan Tomei and Conner on their journey to make Connor's national dreams a reality."

While a member of the Wilmington High School track program, Connor notched the country's top-mark in the outdoor shot put in 2019, owning a throw of 64'4.75'' or 19.62m. Due to the cancellation of the 2020 outdoor season by the COVID-19 pandemic, Conner's throw still sits atop the leaderboards.

With the signing, Conner becomes the highest nationally-ranked incoming recruit in program history. Former-penguin Chad Zallow (Warren JFK) held the previous record when he signed to YSU in 2015, owning the second-best 60-meter hurdles mark across the country. While at YSU, Zallow went on to not only set the USA Junior U20 60-meter hurdles record, but also became a six-time Division 1 All-American, two-time outdoor Horizon League Athlete of the Year and four-time indoor Horizon League Athlete of the Year.

The Penguins are well suited to produce talented throwers under the leadership of coach Tomei and the throws staff. Most recent, YSU junior Zach Gehm earned a spot on Team USA at the 2019 Pan American Championships held in Costa Rica. Gehm solidified his spot on the national team after he won the discus title at the USATF U20 Outdoor Championships.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Track and Field Signs Nation's Top Shot-Putter
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 04:36:21 PM »
That is great to see, great for the program. Family and friends will have a short drive to see him compete.

Nice to see someone from my alma mater do so well!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 05:30:11 PM »
Amazing--he set that mark as a 10th grader!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 06:52:01 PM »
To put this into perspective, this kid already can throw the shot put three meters farther than the distance that won this year's indoor Horizon League meet, accomplished by his future teammate at YSU.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 04:32:14 PM »
To put this into perspective, this kid already can throw the shot put three meters farther than the distance that won this year's indoor Horizon League meet, accomplished by his future teammate at YSU.

Is the college shot heavier than high school?  Excuse me if this is a dumb question
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 10:44:57 PM »
Yes it is.  A former poster who is a track expert already corrected me.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 07:14:00 PM »
PIAA 2A State Track & Field results - Wilmington,  crown state champion

Wilmington saw Connor Vass-Gal take first place in shotput with a throw of 62-06.25. 
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne