Author Topic: Johnson Suspended  (Read 11130 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Johnson Suspended
« on: March 01, 2021, 06:14:43 PM »
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) — Youngstown State University a$$istant coach Tim Johnson will not be permitted on the sidelines for the remainder of the season after he was caught on video hitting an opposing player.

In the video, you can see Johnson (in white) lower his shoulder into University of Northern Iowa wide receiver Quan Hampton as he runs out of bounds, knocking the player down. The television broadcast video went viral on social media Saturday afternoon.

North Carolina man gets revenge on porch pirate with spicy warning
“I apologize to UNI, Youngstown State, the Missouri Valley Football Conference and our community for what occurred on Saturday,” Tim Johnson, YSU director of player personnel, said in a statement. “As a member of the YSU Football staff, my actions are held in high regard and that should have never occurred. Again, I deeply apologize to all who have been impacted by my actions.”

Johnson is a former All-American for the YSU Penguins, and this is his first season as a member of the Youngstown State football staff.

UNI won the game 21-0. The Penguins return to play this Saturday, when they host Southern Illinois.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 06:15:34 PM by IAA Fan »

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Johnson Suspended
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 07:21:03 PM »
Not surprised, saw it happen and assumed he would hear about it. Glad player did not get hurt. Sure he regrets doing it.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 10:08:42 PM »
not a good look for YSU.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 06:37:24 AM »
Get that man a jersey and a helmet and let him start at LB.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 08:44:18 AM »
not a good look for YSU.
ditto  we don't need crap like that
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 09:23:12 AM »
He assaulted a visiting student-athlete...documented on camera...and wasn’t immediately terminated? I’m not sure why he wasn’t arrested and criminally charged.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 10:44:05 AM »
He a$$aulted a visiting student-athlete...documented on camera...and wasn’t immediately terminated? I’m not sure why he wasn’t arrested and criminally charged.
The fact that he has a university job is amazing to me too.  WTF do we stand for?  Remember the old days when all the MVFC players met at midfield before the game as a sign of sportsmanship?  Maybe it was COVID that stopped it, or maybe guys like Johnson were going out armed? 

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 11:48:37 AM »
He a$$aulted a visiting student-athlete...documented on camera...and wasn’t immediately terminated? I’m not sure why he wasn’t arrested and criminally charged.

When I think of "assault" Woody Hayes comes to mind. What TJ did was wrong but it does not fit assault, he did not charge the player. Again not happy with what he did, does not reflect well for YSU, but not so sure that he should lose his job over it.

I am ok with him getting a second chance and hope that he will be a better person for it.

Was his penalty dictated only by YSU or was the league involved? I guess that would dictate if the matter is closed or not.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 12:33:54 PM »

When I think of "a$$ault" Woody Hayes comes to mind. What TJ did was wrong but it does not fit a$$ault, he did not charge the player. Again not happy with what he did, does not reflect well for YSU, but not so sure that he should lose his job over it.

I am ok with him getting a second chance and hope that he will be a better person for it.

Was his penalty dictated only by YSU or was the league involved? I guess that would dictate if the matter is closed or not.
WHAT?!?!?  He intentionally tripped a player running out a play clearly out of bounds. This was an incredible cheap shot obviously intended to injure an opposing player.  Next, should we say, the teacher only grabbed her ass once and so he deserves another chance?  She old took a bribe for a higher grade once so she deserves another chance?  Don't we have any standards!!  Woody nearly got run over and just swung, this clown lined up his foot 5 yards out and know exactly what he was planning.  To me Johnson was worse!  I'm embarrassed he is still employed and a school I though had courage, leadership and principles.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 01:16:17 PM »
Hold on!  Not saying what happened was right or wrong but watch the replay again. Right at the last second a YSU player shoved him late when he is already out of bounds towards Johnson. He wasn’t expecting that and couldn’t get out of his way. Did he defend himself against the hit or purposely go after the player? I Don’t think he did it on purpose. I was there and it happened so fast that it was hard to tell in live motion. But for all intents and purposes it is over and done. He got his punishment. You may not agree with it the punishment but we don’t have that say. Only those who spoke to him and heard from the coach make that call.

Go Guins.
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 01:36:21 PM »
Hold on!  Not saying what happened was right or wrong but watch the replay again. Right at the last second a YSU player shoved him late when he is already out of bounds towards Johnson. He wasn’t expecting that and couldn’t get out of his way. Did he defend himself against the hit or purposely go after the player? I Don’t think he did it on purpose. I was there and it happened so fast that it was hard to tell in live motion. But for all intents and purposes it is over and done. He got his punishment. You may not agree with it the punishment but we don’t have that say. Only those who spoke to him and heard from the coach make that call.

Go Guins.
Not the way I see it at all.  looks intentional to me and I don't want a guy like that on our campus! 

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 04:02:16 PM »
I am sure glad the player did not get hurt

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 06:03:55 PM »
There was not even a flag thrown after replay, so I am not sure this was anything but YSU making the call. All plays are reviewed now, but not sure a flag could have been thrown. I think when ESPN covers it you are forced to make a move.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 09:16:46 AM »
I am sure glad the player did not get hurt
at least one thing we can all agree on!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 04:04:01 PM »

When I think of "a$$ault" Woody Hayes comes to mind. What TJ did was wrong but it does not fit a$$ault, he did not charge the player. Again not happy with what he did, does not reflect well for YSU, but not so sure that he should lose his job over it.

WHAT?!?!?  He intentionally tripped a player running out a play clearly out of bounds. This was an incredible cheap shot obviously intended to injure an opposing player.  Next, should we say, the teacher only grabbed her a$$ once and so he deserves another chance?  She old took a bribe for a higher grade once so she deserves another chance?  Don't we have any standards!!  Woody nearly got run over and just swung, this clown lined up his foot 5 yards out and know exactly what he was planning.  To me Johnson was worse!  I'm embarra$$ed he is still employed and a school I though had courage, leadership and principles.

It’s becoming clear to me that Pelini was a symptom, and not the disease.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen