Author Topic: YSU UIC MBB  (Read 5262 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU UIC MBB
« on: February 25, 2021, 08:48:38 PM »
Up 35-25 at the half.  Excellent defense, that's how YSU wins games.  Was a very fast moving first half.  Officials really let the teams play.  7 total fouls.  YSU had some opportunities to expand the lead, but missed a lot of good looks.  Closed out the half strong with 2 late buckets by DQ to push the lead to 10. 

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU UIC MBB
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 09:39:08 PM »
up 8 under 5 min to go
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 09:50:47 PM »
Nice to see 5 players score in double figures
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 09:52:07 PM »
YSU 74-58 over UIC

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 10:00:43 PM »
Balanced scoring, excellent defense  & Akuchie in double figures pretty much guarantees a YSU win every time.  Hasn't been many games this year where YSU has controlled the game from start-to-finish, but this was one of them.  YSU's biggest deficit was 3-0.  They never let UIC get any closer than 6 points from about 6 mins to go in the 1st half.  YSU did a good job forcing turnovers, 18 of them in fact. 

Oakland is up next. 

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 09:08:31 AM »
I think we have a good chance at beating OU even though we dropped the two in the regular season but that was without DQ at their place and the way we have been playing lately gives me optimism.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 12:31:23 PM »
I think we have a good chance at beating OU even though we dropped the two in the regular season but that was without DQ at their place and the way we have been playing lately gives me optimism.

I agree.  Defense though is the key.  In Oakland's 10 wins, their lowest total was 77.  They are averaging 78.5 in Horizon League games.  In the 2 earlier losses, Oakland scored 82 and 81.  YSU has to keep it from getting into a shootout and keep them in the mid 70s or less.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 12:58:42 PM »
We need a great effort at Oakland. We have DQ this time which helps a lot.  We also need Michael A to spend much of his time near the basket to help Naz on both offense and defense.  He was a big help in our UIC game inside and did make a 3 or two. Too bad beyond our starters not much help.  Vargo has disappeared after starting for a while this year.  Same with others. I sure hope they improve over the off season. Hopefully we have a good showing at Oakland.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 07:35:48 PM »
I thought it was one of YSU most complete games.   Looked like the team that I expected.   Ball was moving and guys were playing good help defense.   DQ is quite not  there yet I'm hoping his 3 point shot starts going.

Props to Mayes for his performance.

Penguin 68 mentioned that some of the frosh are now sitting.  Coach shortened the bench against UIC.
At least Vargo,Dunn,and Traore got some decent minutes during the season which should provide good experience for next season.

Redshirt frosh Ogoro is getting a lot of time and I'm worried about his outside shot but he hit a couple last night.  Nice size for a point guard.   Need to see him consistent with his stroke.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 07:42:40 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 08:05:45 PM »
Agree with the last comments by ucfpengbuck and Penguin68, even though DQ isn't where he was last year, his presence makes everyone else better and has been the difference.  YSU is 7-1 since his return and really should be 8-0.  The only way I believe YSU could win in a high scoring game is if DQ knocks down shots from the outside.  Most of his points have been coming from driving to the basket and the foul line. 

And as ucfpengbuck said, Thursday's game was the type of performance we all envisioned this team was capable of.  Hope they're peaking at the right time as unfortunately one loss and I'm sure that will be in with no CIT tournament.  I can't imagine YSU getting selected for the NIT.  I'm sure CSU and Wright State would probably be the only 2 that would have a chance there. 

Coach has definitely shortened the bench, and I really don't see that changing now.  Vargo's disappearance has been more of a surprise.  He hasn't played in the last 3 and only played a total of 5 mins in the last 5 games.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 09:41:27 PM »
I I think DQ has not regained his confidence in the pull up jump shots as well as the step back 3 point shots. Timing on some of his layups was still a little off.
Vargo was put in the game to shoot the 3 balls. When the shots were not falling, his effectiveness has greatly diminished.
Ogoro has some good drives towards the basket. I wish he could pull up for 8-10 foot jump shots instead of running the defender over to commit the offensive foul. DQ has not regained his confidence in the pull up jump shots as well as the step back 3 point shots. Timing on some of his layups was still a little off.
Vargo was put in the game to shoot the 3 balls. When the shots were not falling, his effectiveness has greatly diminished.
Ogoro has some good drives towards the basket. I wish he could pull up for 8-10 foot jump shots instead of running the defender over to commit the offensive foul.
There is little doubt that coach will stay with the starters plus hamperians, Ogoro and Hunter.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 05:30:29 PM »
Have to wonder what DQ does next year now.  He's already graduated.  He tested the NBA waters last year, no way anything changes on that front.  I didn't figure we'd see him for a 4th year, but does that change now due to his ankle & lower production, the pandemic, and now the ability for the seniors to have another year of eligibility?  Does any of the seniors return for a 5th year...Naz, Covington, Akuchie, Thomas or Kelley?  Or does he transfer with the hope of playing on a bigger stage, but also risk less playing time and scoring? 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 09:21:47 PM »
Good questions mud.  Not sure what the time frame will be when we start hearing if any of the seniors make a decision either way.  Not sure how that effects recruiting.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 09:28:48 PM »
Good questions mud.  Not sure what the time frame will be when we start hearing if any of the seniors make a decision either way.  Not sure how that effects recruiting.

A couple weeks back Coach said they weren't going to discuss it until after the season ended.  Even though it's probably not realistic, could you imagine if everyone came back!? Would be be fun to think to about, and could probably really fill up Beeghly