Author Topic: YSU @ NDSU  (Read 23820 times)

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU @ NDSU
« on: February 06, 2021, 05:23:28 PM »
Well, 2 weeks away! Sunday Feb 21. 
*NDSU had a State Wrestling Tournament to go around & they thought a stand alone sunday game might intrique some NFL sunday fans*

sounds like 9500 fans will be at the Fargodome.

NDSU lost QB Trey Lance, but Iowa St Transfer Zeb Noland will take over (he had a 300+ yard game vs Oklahoma 2 years ago, so he's very capable)

Lost some OL and RB to Western Kentucky.

I have no idea how YSU is looking, fill us in, is there any buzz about this game, or spring season in general?

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU @ NDSU
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 07:21:27 PM »
YSU isn't getting anything close to a starter from a power 5 conference at any position an QB is a big question mark.   New coaching staff after Pelini era left the program in the bottom third of the MVC.
We're like Rutgers going into a season opener at Columbus.   Hope I'm wrong .  Not seeing a lot of experience or depth at any position.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 07:36:49 PM »
Lakes, in 2019 I suggested to you that you could name the score since the YSU team had quit on Pelini.  You were skeptical until about 10 minutes into the first quarter. This will be another awful mismatch, although the climate is different. President Tressel was compelled by community pressure to accept Bo Pelini as head football coach.  That turned out to be a disaster.  Doug Phillips is Tressel's hand-picked choice. In the long term, we are somewhat confident that he will rebuild the program. But right now we have very little talent. Collectively, the senior and junior classes are the worst I have every seen. Hope resides in the redshirt and true freshmen but they are no threat to you.  Maybe in 2023.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 10:28:04 PM »
This team will go as far as the transfers take them. QB and OL play is concerning.

Florida
Cincinnati x2
Eastern Michigan
Bowling Green
Syracuse
Buter CC
Lehigh
Findlay

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 08:34:11 PM »
Chief, question for you. I had a feeling we would still be hurting at oline for the foreseeable future after last year's showing. However, I saw that there was a decent amount of linemen in the signees and other pickups that we got going all the way back to the 2020 signing period and summer.

Is this going to be a position that will be better in the future, but still suspect due to youth?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 08:28:33 AM »
Lakes & YSU fans. The best thing that you can do is express you anger for having full contact sport season this late in the year & ask them to cancel. Also, NDSU has an indoor stadium & not that large, are you not more concerned about the virus with that number people "supposedly" going to attend? I thought the max was 20% of capacity with a 6' gap between sections. Many MBB teams have arena's as large as yours, if not larger, and they are not allowed fans.

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 08:41:17 AM »
Lakes & YSU fans. The best thing that you can do is express you anger for having full contact sport season this late in the year & ask them to cancel. Also, NDSU has an indoor stadium & not that large, are you not more concerned about the virus with that number people "supposedly" going to attend? I thought the max was 20% of capacity with a 6' gap between sections. Many MBB teams have arena's as large as yours, if not larger, and they are not allowed fans.

LOL WUT?   theres 158 ACTIVE cases in Fargo/West Fargo population 150 000.  it'll be alright dude, bars/restaurants/businesses/schools were open the whole time. My 3 kids went to.school Sept 1.   5 days a week in person.

the game is gonna be played with 9500 fans (50%) and your players and staff like 99.98% of Americans will be just fine.

No back to the game. NDSU might have a feeling out period so YSU could catch them at the right time b4 things are dialed in
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 08:42:15 AM by lakesbison »

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 12:34:24 PM »

LOL WUT?   theres 158 ACTIVE cases in Fargo/West Fargo population 150 000.  it'll be alright dude, bars/restaurants/businesses/schools were open the whole time. My 3 kids went to.school Sept 1.   5 days a week in person.

the game is gonna be played with 9500 fans (50%) and your players and staff like 99.98% of Americans will be just fine.

No back to the game. NDSU might have a feeling out period so YSU could catch them at the right time b4 things are dialed in

Right on Lakes. Glad to see there are still some people with common sense who aren’t programmed.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 01:13:46 PM »

Lakes and Cimo7 thank you for being voices of intellect and rationality in a world lacking sense and testosterone.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 06:05:57 PM »
Chief, question for you. I had a feeling we would still be hurting at oline for the foreseeable future after last year's showing. However, I saw that there was a decent amount of linemen in the signees and other pickups that we got going all the way back to the 2020 signing period and summer.

Is this going to be a position that will be better in the future, but still suspect due to youth?

Yeah I would say so. They are putting an emphasis on the O-Line so we will see.

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 08:12:51 PM »
QB Zeb Noland connecting with Christian Watson will be the home rjn for NDSU after smashing 2-3 runs into the heart of the DL

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 06:11:40 AM »
WFMJ/WBCB announced last night that they planned to carry the game live.
Does anyone know if this game or all games will be televised by either ESPN3 or ESPN+ ?

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2021, 08:40:22 AM »
 YSU football will struggle until they get a big time QB.  Craycraft has been average at best and if he is the starter and it looks that way, then Waid has not been what we had hoped for.  ND State had Wentz and Lance, now they have a transfer from Iowa State who looks legit, in the fall they have another transfer who will be eligible from Va. Tech.  Northern Iowa has the first team preseason conference pick at QB in Will McElvain,  South Dakota State has a very good QB in Gibbs.

There is a reason YSU is picked 8th, and has one offensive or defensive starter on first team all conference, and that is Dan Becker.   We lack talent, hopefully some of these mid year transfers can help, but big picture we need Phillips and his staff to be great recruiters.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2021, 11:58:54 AM »
YSU football will struggle until they get a big time QB.  Craycraft has been average at best and if he is the starter and it looks that way, then Waid has not been what we had hoped for.  ND State had Wentz and Lance, now they have a transfer from Iowa State who looks legit, in the fall they have another transfer who will be eligible from Va. Tech.  Northern Iowa has the first team preseason conference pick at QB in Will McElvain,  South Dakota State has a very good QB in Gibbs.

There is a reason YSU is picked 8th, and has one offensive or defensive starter on first team all conference, and that is Dan Becker.   We lack talent, hopefully some of these mid year transfers can help, but big picture we need Phillips and his staff to be great recruiters.

Don’t forget about Crenshaw who was the highest rated QB recruit we’ve ever gotten! Someone on this board doubts his arm but he had a 70+ % completion rate in HS and played in D1

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2021, 12:11:48 PM »

Don’t forget about Crenshaw who was the highest rated QB recruit we’ve ever gotten! Someone on this board doubts his arm but he had a 70+ % completion rate in HS and played in D1
So did Waid, and Waid's footwork is 1000% better than Crenshaw's. It is very hard to compete at 1AA with one or both feet in the air when you throw.  You can get by in HS because most DBs are marginal, and some of the DB's are terrible.  At this level, they are all former All-Conference HS players.
If you weren't referring to me, then I agree with whomever you targeted!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!