Author Topic: UIC Men's  (Read 6500 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
UIC Men's
« on: January 22, 2021, 06:09:21 PM »
1st half up 31-28 but only shooting 11 of 31.  Amazingly 8 of 8 from the line.  Both teams struggling to shoot with  both teams playing hard man to man D.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 06:10:44 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: UIC Men's
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 07:04:33 PM »
Disgusting loss.  Must of missed at least the last 7 free throws in a row down the stretch.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 07:08:10 PM »
Disgusting loss.  Must of missed at least the last 7 free throws in a row down the stretch.
Can’t make FT, can’t win game. Why were all these poor FT shooters in the end of the game? You know they are going to be fouled?
Disappointed loss.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 08:15:29 PM »
Disappointing Loss. Poor shooting overall is killing us. At least today they didn't just pass the ball around and throw up 3's like normally done.  Michael A still threw up 2 which were misses after playing a nice game in close which he can be successful at. Surprised that Daniel O played so much.  Garret C was missing at the end of the game when we sure needed him. Not sure why. We need shooters badly. DQ was one and he carried the team last year. Not sure what can be done with this group.  You can't make shooters.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 08:36:03 PM »
shooting is something you work on in the off season

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 10:57:40 PM »
In his fourth season, Calhoun now has an accomplishment that he can share with Slocum: Last Place in the Horizon League. Bravo! Keep up the good work!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 07:08:34 AM »
If you can not hit FT's, you don't deserve to win. Embarrassing.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 07:22:35 AM »
I am not knowledgeable enough to comment on his coaching techniques.

However, it is a common practice, at the end of a game like this, to put into the players with experience, ability to dribble and knock down FT ( Covington, Bently, Akuchmie) with the possession of the ball. When back on defense, substitute your defensive guys back in.

With the last shot, they should be reminded to block out to prevent easy tap in. The UIC guy was all by himself at the rim.

(I still remember the Oakland gamea few years ago, wewere up 2 with less than 1 second to go. There was no way that Oakland would have time to get the last shot off. Slocum put in the big guy (who had not played the entire game) to guard the in bound. He probably was not reminded about “no fouls”. He ran over the screen to commit the foul. Oakland made the FT to tie the game and we last it in OT.) Coaching?

So, what happened here?

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 11:11:56 AM »
when I was watching the last shot it appeared to me it was offensive goal tending. you cannot put your hands in the cylinder. he seemed like he just guided the ball into the hoop.  if he does not catch it I think it would have hit the rim.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 11:17:32 AM »
I thought the same thing on the last shot. I guess the refs didn't want to get into that or didn't see it clearly enough to overturn the call.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 11:36:04 AM »
YSU is athletically irrelevant.  Unless you wanna believe the YSU T&F releases that they beat up on D3 teams at the YSU Invitational.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 11:55:09 AM »
YSU is athletically irrelevant.  Unless you wanna believe the YSU T&F releases that they beat up on D3 teams at the YSU Invitational.

This statement is not accurate.  Each year the Horizon League gives out trophies in 19 sports. Over the past five years, YSU has collected more hardware than any other school, and Gorby's athletes have acquired most of them. People are down right now because our two primary sports are a mess. Men's basketball has been a wasteland for much of the past three plus decades and Pelini left football in a dreadful state for Phillips.

The YSU Invitational is designed to make money from entrance fees from any school that wants to participate. Our track athletes compete against the clock or the distance and height markers, not the people standing next to them.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 11:55:25 AM »
I thought the shot was short of the rim. Therefore, I didn’t think it was above the vertical plane of the cylinder for a call of goal tending.
I was watching on tv replay. I could be wrong.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2021, 08:09:53 PM »
Nice win today and too bad the Penguins didn't get the sweep.  Daniel Ogoro was the latest surprise frosh to step up. If Ogoro can get a consistent outside jumper he'll be good since he can drive the ball and has nice size at the point.

Great hustle and heart from the three seniors.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2021, 09:54:39 PM »
Nice win today and much needed to keep the team's attitude up for a learning environment.

Still need to quit taking 3's with players who's ability to make them is 25% or less.  Need to get the ball to the hoop with others beside Naz.  Michael A had a nice game today, but much of it is inside the 3.  When he gets in love with 3's we are in trouble.  Garret also.  Both are big enough to go to the hoop.  When we go inside we have a chance.

Daniel O has surprised me, pleasantly so.  He is a tall guard which improves our defense and when he goes to the basket, he is not so intimidated by the big guys. If he can improve his outside shooting and keep attacking the basket, he will be a great addition as a taller DQ type player. Not that I think he is as good as DQ, but similar with the ability to drive and shoot from the outside as a point guard. Hopefully the other freshman can grow into productive players, both driving to the basket, pulling up for mid range shots, and 3's when they are there, and play defense.  Next week will be interesting to see if this continues, especially with our new guys.