Author Topic: Game two YSU vs NKU on ESPN2  (Read 3573 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Game two YSU vs NKU on ESPN2
« on: December 20, 2020, 02:21:55 PM »
3pm tip.  Looking to see what adjustments coach C makes today.

- I think the board was excited for this season with 4 starters(upper classmen) returning.

-Many have expressed that the bench is mostly frosh/walkons and the absence of Jamir Thomas and Greyson Kelly who both have college experience has stressed the progression.

-Covid has probably hurt YSU more so than most of D1 with two times shutting down the program which has resulted in very few practices.

Can't keep on harping on the same negatives.  Everyone needs to step up their game.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Game two YSU vs NKU on ESPN2
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 04:57:26 PM »
Yeah 70-60 good guys
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 05:01:18 PM »
Good game with great intensity. Couple of the freshmen played well on national broadcast @ espn2.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 05:15:52 PM »
Much better defense and close out on the 3pt shooters.  Naz had the spin to the basket working with either hand and team rebounded and scrapped.

Bench really shrunk in the 2nd half with Alex Vargo getting minutes and producing.  Usung hero was Michael Akuchie who had 14 pts 12 rebounds.

Need DQ to get going .  Wondering with Mayes having the ball in his hands running the point if that's hurting Darius' offense or is he still getting back in the groove from a preseason injury ?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 05:33:05 PM »
Much better.  We certainly salvaged this first weekend. Freshmen Mayes and Vargo were collectively 5-10 beyond the arc. They also each shot 50% total for the game. And we were 17-22 from the line!

Unless it is somehow tied to his injury, it makes little sense to have DQ play on the wing. His greatest asset is his ability to penetrate and take the ball to the hoop.  Much harder when you are not running point.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 05:52:14 PM »
Great win!  I am surprised with the big turn around defensively. Played with much more intensity defensively than yesterday, even with back to back games and the Covid breaks which would hurt our conditioning. Not nearly so many open 3's. And our press was only used a bit and didn't give up the layups it does at times. Played only 8, really 7 players, as one player had 1 minute of time. More experience on the floor today.

Vargo looks good as does Mayes.  And Vargo is taller so that really helps us overall.  Naz was great especially down the stretch. I was worried late in the game when we had a 5 point lead. I feared missed free throws and missed shots and turnovers, but Naz and Akushe made free throws and shots to help nd overall played great.  Then Mayes had 2 big threes which saved the day.  Still worried about our lack of height as at times taller NKU players got rebounds over the back of our smaller guys without fouling. Now hope we can go to Cleveland State and do well.

I think the Radio show is on tomorrow 5 to 7.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 05:57:52 PM »
Relax people lol. Things are good.

Online mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 10:39:10 PM »
Big win.  To be able to split NKU and avoid an 0-2 start with 8 of the first 10 on the road is huge.

It's funny, yesterday YSU was down by 3 at the half and 2 today, but felt like NKU was up by more yesterday and I felt better about it today; maybe it was the better defensive effort.  I felt the energy and intensity was so much better today and really it was YSU's first complete game.  That and NKU not killing YSU on the 3's was the difference.  Yesterday NKU was +24 from 3, today YSU was +3.

I thought Naz and Akuchie were both tremendous, and Mayes continues to impress.  And for the 2nd straight game YSU has done excellent not only getting to the FT line but knocking them down.  I hope that's a trend.

I had a feeling we'd see the starting 5 getting the majority of the minutes after yesterday.  Vargo was impressive.  Going to need more of that going forward.

Still hard for me to believe Bentley isn't getting any minutes.