Author Topic: WVU Tech at Beeghly  (Read 3488 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
WVU Tech at Beeghly
« on: December 13, 2020, 03:58:30 PM »
Men play at 4pm Tomorrow per Vargo's twitter.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: WVU Tech at Beeghly
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 06:03:20 PM »
YSU 80
WVU Tech 66

YSU was 5 of 22 from the 3 pt line  :(

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 06:11:10 PM »
Rusty to say the least. Just glad to be playing and winning games.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 06:43:58 PM »
Gave up 43 points in the first half; 23 in the second.  That is three games in a row with lousy starts.  With 8 out of 10 of the first league games on the road, we need to get that fixed....right now.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 08:13:20 PM »
Worried about this team.   The bench hasn't produced and unfortuntely they're mostly freshman and walkons who do not  have college experience.   Everyone has been affected by covid but YSU lost 21 days of practice which could be the most in the country.   

No time for excuses they need to step up and play like their preseason prediction .
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 08:14:05 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 09:18:13 PM »
I went to the 2 home games and watched the Binghamton game on ESPN3, and I'm not sure what to make of them other than getting back into playing basketball and chalking up 3 wins. 

The Point Park game was more like scrimmage beings one didn't happen this year, little practice and without DQ or Naz.  The 2nd half of the Binghamton game was more like how YSU should be playing and reminded me of last year.  You have to give Point Park and WVU Tech a lot of credit.  Both those schools came to play and brought a lot of intensity- they were up to the challenge.  Both just seemed to wear out and lacked the talent to play for 40 minutes. 

I think Coach Calhoun was trying some different lineups in the WVU Tech game, but some of them just struggled to find someone to score.  The first half of the first 3 games is concerning; YSU is -12 but +60 in the 2nd half.   

Last year YSU didn't shoot the ball well in 3's and I feel like that trend is continuing. Only shooting 28% after 3 games and even DQ is only 3-16.

DQ is DQ.  He's also really improved his FT shooting since about mid-season last year. 

Naz improves & gets stronger every year.  He really has the ability to take over a game.  He's finally converting much more frequently inside.   Still needs to improve his FT shooting; he's only 6-15.   

I cannot believe Shemar Rathan-Mayers is freshman.  He really seems like he can be something special.   

I love Covington's defensive presence, but I was disappointed at times last year with him thinking we'd getting more productivity out of him especially after his first 2 seasons.  There's some games where it just seems like he's out of it; today was one them.     

Akuchie has improved every year; today wasn't his best day, but when he play wells it seems like it translates into YSU playing very well.  I feel like both him and Covington really get down on themselves when things don't go well and take themselves out of it mentally.

It makes me nervous without guys like Cathcart, Simmons, and Morgan.  Feel like YSU lost a lot of athleticism without Cathcart and Simmons and I just don't see that yet with the others.  Morgan could come off the bench and give them that spark.

I was hoping Bentley would step up this year, but he really hasn't gotten a lot of playing time and has only taken 2 shots.  Really surprised by that.  I thought he was hesitant a lot last year.

Hamperian was impressive at times last year.  I'm hoping he can pick up his game.  He didn't get hardly any PT today.

Would certainly be nice to get Jamir Thomas back.  Going to need that size in league play. 

The freshman guys of Ganley, Vargo, Dunn, Ogoro, and Traore may have potential down the road, but I'm not sure if they are ready for D1 basketball yet.  And I'm afraid only getting 3 non-conference games could hurt going into league play.

I would imagine that will be it for non-conference games before this weekend at NKU.   Not sure if I'd rather see them sneak another game in mid-week or just focus all week on NKU.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 04:48:22 PM »
I agree 100% that the loss of Cathcart,Morgan and Simmons = less juice .   The Frosh will be good but they need to step up now if we're going to compete for the Horizon.   

I'm looking forward to Greyson Kelly playing.  Anyone have info on his return ?