Author Topic: YSU mens basketball preview  (Read 5184 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU mens basketball preview
« on: December 01, 2020, 06:55:39 PM »
Not sure if this was posted before.   Pretty good write up on our roster.
As of today Oakland has already played 5 games  and we"ll have 7 games played before YSU plays their first.  Sounds like a big advantage (covid or not)unless coach can get something lined up earlier than already scheduled.

https://horizoneroundtable.com/2020/10/30/youngstown-state-penguins-2020-21-season-preview/
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 05:15:41 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU mens basketball preview
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 03:17:36 PM »
I'm so excited for this team!  Looking forward to a very good year.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 04:10:04 PM »
Will YSU Men's Basketball ever be relevant?  After scrambling to find games with the Brothers-of-the-Blind and the Sisters-of-the-Poor the team lays-an-egg at Northern Kentucky.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 04:32:13 PM »
Very disappointing performance. NKU returns only one starter from last season, and they were blown off the court by Kent. It is only one game, and we will see how the team responds tomorrow.  But I fear that we are more hype than substance.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 04:37:12 PM »
They could shoot the 3’s and we couldn’t. Their 3 freshmen out played our 3 seniors. End of discussion.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 05:27:53 PM »
Inside presence not good.
3pt shooting not good.
china plaque effect not good.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 05:52:34 PM »
Inside presence not good.
3pt shooting not good.
china plaque effect not good.

Yes that pretty much sums it up.

I thought early on when YSU built the lead to 7, they really had the opportunity to be up double that but couldn't knock down a lot of good looks that they had.  The D for most of the first half was good; I thought the zone and full court press was working until NKU started to knock down shots that pushed them up at half.  It had that feeling though at half that if YSU couldn't make shots they were going to be in trouble, and NKU just shot lights out the 2nd half.  Once NKU got up 7 it felt like double that and once the lead hit 15 it was over.

YSU wasn't the best shooting team last year, but seemed to out-hustle, out-rebound and brought the intensity that could overcome it.  I know we're only 4 games in and the virus has everything screwed up, but outside of that 2nd half of the Binghamton game I just haven't seen that yet even against the NAIA teams.

I brought up after the last game losing athletes like Simmons and Cathcart along with Morgan, who could come off the bench and provide a spark, really seems to be missing with this team. 

In this game it just seemed like every loose ball was bouncing NKU's way compounded by them making shots and YSU not making shots.  You can't shoot 35% and go 3-18 from 3 & expect to win.  NKU was +24 points from 3's.  If nothing else YSU did a good job getting the line and knocking down foul shots.  I thought Akuchie had a lot of opportunities inside for and 1's, but just couldn't get the ball to go through the hoop.   

Thought Hamperian was excellent off the bench.  He was one of the brights spots along with the FT shooting.  But outside of him, I just really see YSU's bench play continuing to struggle.  How does Bentley not get any PT?  Thought that seemed odd and the fact he's only taken 2 shots all year.

The scheduling didn't do YSU any favors either to open up with 8 of the first 10 on the road especially having to go to NKU, Wright St & Oakland.

Offline chezmustache

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 06:28:37 PM »
     It is discouraging NKU freshmen and a JUCO outplayed YSU seniors (two of which were recognized for achievement in 2019 - 2020 by the Horizon League) and an NBA wanna be.  That should not happen.  It appeared from afar NKU put their head down and expended significant effort to prove they were the better team.  YSU may have read a few too many press clippings, showed up with an illusion they were a championship contender, and did not marshal the effort to make it so.  That is a coaching failure. 

We will see if it gets corrected on Sunday.     

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 08:35:12 PM »
     It is discouraging NKU freshmen and a JUCO outplayed YSU seniors (two of which were recognized for achievement in 2019 - 2020 by the Horizon League) and an NBA wanna be.  That should not happen.  It appeared from afar NKU put their head down and expended significant effort to prove they were the better team.  YSU may have read a few too many press clippings, showed up with an illusion they were a championship contender, and did not marshal the effort to make it so.  That is a coaching failure. 

We will see if it gets corrected on Sunday.     

Thought it was interesting too the one commentator brought up that he didn't think YSU looked like they had much intensity in pre-game warmups & early in the game

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 10:05:45 PM »
Obviously looked bad today.  Reminded me of nearly the first game of coach Calhoun's time with us when we played Kent I think at Akron in the Coaches Against Cancer game I attended.  We kept on full court pressing and they continued to get easy lay ups after breaking our press.  Today we doubled the ball and they found the open man for wide open 3's and made them.

We miss Jelani Simmons badly. He left over playing time I think.  Darnell C and the other Senior were done with eligibility, but not Jelani. He was quick, tall, long, and fast.  Our new guys don't have his skill and our lack of size is really hurting us. And as others have said NKU freshman looked really good compared to our guys. The Covid break hurt us, but I think it is more than that. We need to play hard and make shots to succeed. Our new guys looked very tentative at times and really didn't contributed much. Let's hope tomorrow is much improved.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 10:20:41 AM »
Simmons would have been nice to have around but Olamide Pedersen was a big body that would have been a factor.  The guy had injuries that set him back and always was in foul trouble.   He probably had his best game againt Pitt his fresman year and was never going to be double digit scorer but he did give  us paint enforcer on D.

Thought Cheick Traore would be the guy but not getting minutes at this stage of his career.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2020, 10:36:24 AM »
Missing Jamir badly. No inside presence at all. Remember this team basically missed almost 3 full weeks of practice so it's going to take some time to get back into things.