Author Topic: Baseball Announces Addition of Three Student-Athletes  (Read 2309 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Baseball Announces Addition of Three Student-Athletes
« on: October 22, 2020, 05:16:03 PM »
Youngstown State head baseball coach Dan Bertolini has announced that Alex Cardona, Conner Johnson and Andrew Russell have joined the program for the upcoming 2021 season.

Cardona (Boardman, Ohio) spent the previous two seasons at Mercyhurst North East, Johnson (Heber City, Utah) played the last two years at Salt Lake Community College and Russell (Champion, Ohio) played for Ohio in 2020. Cardona and Johnson will both be juniors, and Russell will be a sophomore.

The group of newcomers will join three other student-athletes who signed National Letters of Intent to continue their academic and baseball futures at YSU during the early signing period last November.

Information on each of the student-athletes who have joined the program is provided below:

Alex Cardona

RHP | 5'8 | 175 | Boardman, Ohio | Boardman High School | Mercyhurst North East

Highlights: Posted a 4-2 record and a 5.32 ERA in 44.0 innings over nine starts and two relief appearances for Mercyhurst North East in 2019... Tossed three complete games and posted 12.27 K/9... Struck out 60 batters while walking 31... Posted an 8.00 ERA in nine innings over two relief appearances in 2020... Fanned 14 batters while issuing seven walks… Four-year letterwinner at Boardman High School... Posted a 6-0 record as a senior... Threw a no-hitter that featured 16 strikeouts... Accumulated 59 strikeouts and finished with a 1.17 ERA as a senior... Named First-Team All-AAC... Shared AAC Player of the Year honors.

Cardona on choosing YSU: "I chose YSU because I heard that it's a great environment with great coaches, and we have the ability to make some noise. It's a great feeling to be a Penguin. Having a chance to make an impact on your hometown is an amazing opportunity."

Conner Johnson

RHP | 6'1 | 200 | Heber City, Utah | Wasatch High School | Salt Lake Community College

Highlights: Made a total of 13 appearances out of the bullpen for Salt Lake Community College in 2019 and 2020... Recorded a 2.64 ERA and 18 strikeouts over 17 innings pitched... Earned two victories in relief during the shortened 2020 campaign... The Bruins were ranked in the top 15 in the nation in 2019 and 2020, reaching as high as eighth in 2019... Coach was David Nelson… Three-year letterwinner at Wasatch High School... Recorded an 8-2 record and a 1.80 ERA while pitching over 60 innings as a senior... Team advanced to the Utah 5A state playoffs where he earned a pair of victories on the mound... Was a 2018 5A All-Star Game selection and was honored as a 5A all-state selection.

Johnson on choosing YSU: "I chose YSU because of the great coaching staff and the great facilities we use. To me, becoming a Penguin means to be a hardworking, disciplined individual who makes a positive impact on the field and in the community. I am so excited to compete at the level we play at and do it with the great guys on the team."

Andrew Russell

RHP/UTIL | 6'1 | 190 | Champion, Ohio | Champion High School | Ohio

Highlights: Played in six games as a position player and made one pitching appearance as a freshman for Ohio in 2020... Recorded three hits and a run scored in 15 at-bats... Went 2-for-4 with a pair of singles and a run scored at Southeast Missouri State (2/29)... Did not allow a hit and registered a strikeout in one inning on the mound vs. Saint Louis (2/21)… Holds the Champion High School record with a 0.27 ERA in a season... Won a state championship as a sophomore and pitched a complete game in the title game... Named First-Team All-Ohio as a junior... Named second-team all-conference as a sophomore.

Russell on choosing YSU: "I chose YSU because of the ability to continue my education and baseball career close to home. Becoming a Penguin means so much being that I am from the area and can have my loved ones come support me at my games. Go Guins!"

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Baseball Announces Addition of Three Student-Athletes
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 05:19:54 PM »
You have to be a little excited about these 3 recruits and especially Johnson.   Big high-school & quality JUCO program. Solid ERA in both.