Author Topic: Ohio Governor Bans Fans from Attending Contact Sport Games  (Read 9513 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Ohio Governor Bans Fans from Attending Contact Sport Games
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 10:47:19 AM »
For me it was unexpected; but when I saw OSU modify their schedule, then it was not quite as unexpected. Honestly, I am not so sure how many games I would attend with no tailgating. It is a 3.5-hour drive for me to see a game. I have only missed a couple in my life, so I am sure I will still make the drive should this come for YSU as well.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 11:11:14 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 11:09:13 AM »
DeWine is the biggest asshat. Doing all he can do to destroy our way of life.  When did we become such big sissys?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 11:41:36 AM »
The modification possibility is nonsense. A season cannot be prepared in a week. YSU has no choice but to talk with the MVFC and make the call to cancel fan attendance and/or the season. I want details on scholarships and I better not see one football player behind on classes next season.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 11:45:50 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 11:56:15 AM »
The NBA and the NHL have placed their athletes in "bubbles" and have all the teams playing at the same locations.  They might or might not get away with that.  MLB has no bubble and is starting to unravel as more teams are canceling games.  Operating college sports is simply impossible.  No bubbles.  Young people who are social creatures and will not properly distance no matter what regulations are pounded into their skulls.

What makes more sense?  Training for the season only to have it canceled after a handful of games?  Or just shutting all college sports down until the fall of 2021? 

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 12:40:29 PM »
So the mortality rate is now at 0.3% (and likely lower due to the number of cases that don't show symptoms estimated at ~50%) which is lower than the H1N1 flu.  Hospitalizations are down as well.  So what is the logic behind all of this?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 05:38:32 PM »
The First Amendment of the supreme law of the land:

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

There are no exceptions listed, including for a virus with a low CFR (near zero actually for large segments of the population), unprecedented propaganda, and massive data fraud. This makes your tyrant governor a criminal.

In terms of tyranny...this isn’t even the beginning. 

Since I never post here...I’ll just throw this out also...stock up on freeze dried or canned food.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline cjm

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 09:28:57 AM »
couple of things:

flu mortality rate is .1% per infected seasonally. 34,000 deaths/35,000,000 infected (2018-2019)

covid 19 mortality rate is 3% per infected, not .3% 160,000 deaths/4,000,000 infected (estimated as of today)

secondly, postponing the season has nothing to due with the first amendment. not by a long shot. institutions taking measures to insure public health in no way is connected to anything protected by the first amendment.

say what you want about DeWine, but he is not congress inacting any laws prohibiting you from practicing your faith or criticizing the government. again postponing the season has nothing to due with any of the freedoms protected by the first amendment. not even barely related.

if you don't like the season being postponed, the first amendment does guarantee you the right to go downtown and protest YSU.

Offline cjm

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 09:39:39 AM »
and come to think of it, if the season isn't postponed, there would more then likely be no attendance allowed. this may have been discussed but would local broadcasting cover local games live since they usually are delay broadcasted?

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 09:56:47 AM »
couple of things:

flu mortality rate is .1% per infected seasonally. 34,000 deaths/35,000,000 infected (2018-2019)

covid 19 mortality rate is 3% per infected, not .3% 160,000 deaths/4,000,000 infected (estimated as of today)

secondly, postponing the season has nothing to due with the first amendment. not by a long shot. institutions taking measures to insure public health in no way is connected to anything protected by the first amendment.

say what you want about DeWine, but he is not congress inacting any laws prohibiting you from practicing your faith or criticizing the government. again postponing the season has nothing to due with any of the freedoms protected by the first amendment. not even barely related.

if you don't like the season being postponed, the first amendment does guarantee you the right to go downtown and protest YSU.

nice post
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 11:01:24 AM »
I am not in favor of a postponement ... just "business as usual" or cancel. TELL US RIGHT NOW. We have 2-weeks until season begins, so this is becoming ridiculous.

We have enough spring sports already, no place for football. It has little to do with anything outside of media power at this point. There is not now, nor ever been any "true" concern for our welfare in the media; just an attempt to get government cash for free PSA advertising (aka "hero" ads) and no-charge social media ads, prevent lawsuits and yield the "mighty media influence sword". I would not take a flue vaccine anyways & that is all we are going to get. Does anyone have any idea how many times this disease has already morphed & how many more times it will? That is the reason the infection spread rate cycles so much. There will never be a successful vaccine, just one that yo will need to take a couple of times a year for the next couple of decades.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 11:14:03 AM by IAA Fan »

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 11:13:23 AM »
TELL US RIGHT NOW. We have 2-weeks until season begins, so this is becoming ridiculous.

I agree, make the call, know that you are not going to make everyone happy, but decide one way or the other.

With that said I know that there has to so much more to it then we could know, it is not just YSU to be concerned with. Guessing that the league officials are getting pulled from all sides.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 12:44:00 PM »
I live 3+ hours away. I plan food and guests for tailgating. I travel to all games that I can afford. My planning is just about shot for 2020.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 10:47:20 AM »
couple of things:

The "mortality rate" term refers to an entire population, not the infected subgroup. The typical reference is CFR or IFR, which seems to be what you're trying to refer to.

The 3% IFR figure was trafficked back when the initial "15 days to flatten the curve" was first introduced, and there were also outlandish panic-inducing models predicting mass casualties that were also introduced, that like the 3% CFR, have proven to be not just false, but extremely harmful as they resulted in unconstitutional overreactions that led to enormous personal and economic hardships such as suicide, unemployment, and drug overdoses. These are typically collectively labeled "lockdown deaths", and as a part of the massive data collection fraud, are often counted as COVID deaths.

Here are some related references I hope you find helpful:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.13.20101253v3#:~:text=Seroprevalence%20estimates%20ranged%20from%200.222,epicenters%20with%20high%20death%20tolls.

Across 32 different locations, the median infection fatality rate was 0.27% (corrected 0.24%). Most studies were done in pandemic epicenters with high death tolls. Median corrected IFR was 0.10% in locations with COVID-19 population mortality rate less than the global average (<73 deaths per million as of July 12, 2020), 0.27% in locations with 73-500 COVID-19 deaths per million, and 0.90% in locations exceeding 500 COVID-19 deaths per million. Among people <70 years old, infection fatality rates ranged from 0.00% to 0.57% with median of 0.05% across the different locations (corrected median of 0.04%).

The last sentence highlights the lunacy of postponing athletic competitions for healthy, fit, young adults.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/stanford-study-suggests-coronavirus-might-not-be-as-deadly-as-flu

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-deadly-coronavirus-true-fatality-tricky.html

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention currently has a best guess of 0.65% for the IFR.

Again for clarification, the IFR of 0.65% encompasses only the infected cases, and not the general population. Using your "mortality rate"...and applying it to the general population (infected plus noninfected), it would be a fraction of that small fraction.

Regarding the First Amendment, the article posted stated, "A new order in Ohio signed Aug. 1 allowing contact sports, but without fans, reportedly applies to the state's NFL and college football teams." In other words, the governor is prohibiting his subjects from peacefully assembling at an NFL game. The Tenth Amendment allows the states to address issues not covered in the first nine Amendments, which of course, the Freedom of Assembly is. Another flagrant constitutional violation is the mask "mandate", but that's a whole other topic. Fun fact...lots of randomized controlled trials have investigated the effectiveness of masks in preventing respiratory viral transmission...and not a single one reveal benefit...even use including of N95s...one revealed harm using cloth masks. It's a shame to see an educational institution such as YSU traffic propaganda slogans like "don't make me ask...wear a mask" instead of taking an evidence-based approach.

So he is a criminal and a tyrant, and if the Constitution matters, and if there is equal justice under the law, he should be arrested and tried.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2020, 03:27:50 AM »
Love the way some people make up "facts" to support some loony theory. Just wear the damn mask and quit your whining.