Author Topic: And so it begins  (Read 32200 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: And so it begins
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2020, 07:01:28 AM »
Yes it would. Might as well cancel it. I live in Columbus. All fans plan vacations and in other ways schedule their lives around it. Then again, isn't cancellation what the media wants anyways?

Someone should tell them that there is more to life than football!

It is precisely for this reason that you might as well cancel. Football has a natural rhythm. Spring is for spring practice and a chance to see the new recruits. A spring game. Do you realize that OSU sells out the spring game with tickets going up in price every year? 105k x $30 is over $3mil in revenue lost. Fall is for the season, it is the culmination of all the work that begins in spring. So have it or don't.  I mean there is a reason that the HL chose October first for their date to begin.

$$$ MBB money games and tournaments

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2020, 09:00:41 AM »
Yes it would. Might as well cancel it. I live in Columbus. All fans plan vacations and in other ways schedule their lives around it. Then again, isn't cancellation what the media wants anyways?

Someone should tell them that there is more to life than football!

It is precisely for this reason that you might as well cancel. Football has a natural rhythm. Spring is for spring practice and a chance to see the new recruits. A spring game. Do you realize that OSU sells out the spring game with tickets going up in price every year? 105k x $30 is over $3mil in revenue lost. Fall is for the season, it is the culmination of all the work that begins in spring. So have it or don't.  I mean there is a reason that the HL chose October first for their date to begin.

$$$ MBB money games and tournaments
to be fair and accurate here, some schools don't play a spring game at all and OSU has never even come close to selling out the spring game and ticket prices were $15 for reserved and $5 general admission. Revenue more like 600K than 3M
HOWEVER, the point is, you can't have 2 seasons in one year, that's ridiculous so 1AA is right have football in 2020 or not, but not in the spring.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2020, 09:26:41 AM »
Also, consider this; MBB lost their season last year and I see no possible way that the NCAA, along with conferences, are going to allow this to happen again. Midnight Madness this year is Tuesday October 12th. (I could be off a couple of days either way on this). So do you think fans are going to stand for the NCAA to play MBB and NOT football when playing at the same time? Many football conference seasons have just begun that same weekend. This is why all the talk about In-Conference only. Schools and Conferences know that sports will return by this time.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2020, 09:40:52 AM »
Also, consider this; MBB lost their season last year and I see no possible way that the NCAA, along with conferences, are going to allow this to happen again. Midnight Madness this year is Tuesday October 12th. (I could be off a couple of days either way on this). So do you think fans are going to stand for the NCAA to play MBB and NOT football when playing at the same time? Many football conference seasons have just begun that same weekend. This is why all the talk about In-Conference only. Schools and Conferences know that sports will return by this time.
Nobody has made a credible argument on this "conference only" schedule thing.  This makes NO sense to me.  Without the non-conference schedule MBB will need an additional ton of cash. 1AA, you are the guy on cash losses, how are your supporting conference only play?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2020, 05:50:20 PM »
Nobody has made a credible argument on this "conference only" schedule thing.  This makes NO sense to me.  Without the non-conference schedule MBB will need an additional ton of cash. 1AA, you are the guy on cash losses, how are your supporting conference only play?

I think you need conference play to establish the post-season. Other than that, it starts a month later and lets people think you put some thought into it.  :)

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2020, 09:41:31 AM »
if we have no non conference games where we get our wins

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2020, 10:19:04 AM »

I believe the rationale behind conference only is that you can agree on and adopt common safety / testing protocols as a conference.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2020, 10:34:46 AM »
"I believe the rationale behind conference only is that you can agree on and adopt common safety / testing protocols as a conference."

OR, "I believe the rationale behind non-conference play is that you can agree on and adopt common safety / testing protocols as a non-conference opponent."

I turned on the Indians game last night and Lindor was playing shortstop wearing a mask!  Who the hell is going to infect him at shortstop!?!?!?  At the peak, there were some 40,000,000 people out of work due to COVID-19  Well, with 164,000,000 workers in Feb. 2020 that means some 75% of the workforce or some 120,000,000 Americans and immigrants continued to work so that we could eat, drive, run our air conditioners etc. every day.  Some poor slob is getting $12 an hour to disinfect the toilet seats in Progressive Field so Lindor can sh** in comfort and safety.  I am totally fed up with the coddled prima donna athletes in the country.   Get to work and do your job, just like the rest of us!

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2020, 11:43:38 AM »
"I believe the rationale behind conference only is that you can agree on and adopt common safety / testing protocols as a conference."

OR, "I believe the rationale behind non-conference play is that you can agree on and adopt common safety / testing protocols as a non-conference opponent."

I turned on the Indians game last night and Lindor was playing shortstop wearing a mask!  Who the hell is going to infect him at shortstop!?!?!?  At the peak, there were some 40,000,000 people out of work due to COVID-19  Well, with 164,000,000 workers in Feb. 2020 that means some 75% of the workforce or some 120,000,000 Americans and immigrants continued to work so that we could eat, drive, run our air conditioners etc. every day.  Some poor slob is getting $12 an hour to disinfect the toilet seats in Progressive Field so Lindor can sh** in comfort and safety.  I am totally fed up with the coddled prima donna athletes in the country.   Get to work and do your job, just like the rest of us!

So if a team has 3 OOC games they are supposed to change their safety protocols 3 times depending on who they are playing? What about season long precautions like player quarantines, practice restriction or testing. What if the  OOC game team you’re playing this week doesn’t agree with the protocols your team used in your first OOC game and is worried your team could infect their players.

It’s just more practical to come up with a set of protocols and rules as a conference.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 11:44:32 AM by Kandrase »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2020, 06:36:29 PM »

So if a team has 3 OOC games they are supposed to change their safety protocols 3 times depending on who they are playing? What about season long precautions like player quarantines, practice restriction or testing. What if the  OOC game team you’re playing this week doesn’t agree with the protocols your team used in your first OOC game and is worried your team could infect their players.

It’s just more practical to come up with a set of protocols and rules as a conference.

While I understand your point Kandrase, it seems rather ridiculous to suggest such small measures, while well intentioned, will actually achieve much in the way of safer conditions. There is no way there should be a season this year. Doubt we will have one.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2020, 07:20:03 PM »

While I understand your point Kandrase, it seems rather ridiculous to suggest such small measures, while well intentioned, will actually achieve much in the way of safer conditions. There is no way there should be a season this year. Doubt we will have one.

Oh yeah, I’m not saying I agree it’ll be an effective course of action, I’m just trying to explain that the conference only idea does in fact have some type of logic behind it.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2020, 08:28:06 PM »

Oh yeah, I’m not saying I agree it’ll be an effective course of action, I’m just trying to explain that the conference only idea does in fact have some type of logic behind it.

Understood. Sorry I realize I may have come across as somewhat pointed, that wasn't the intention.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2020, 08:26:56 AM »

OR is it just more practical to come up with a set of protocols and rules as the NCAA?  You're out there with no mask bumping against a sweating yelling (spitting) unmasked body of some strange kid from Detroit for 40 minutes, do you actually think some conference only rule about how you greet opponent after the game matters to COVID-19?  This is all pretty silly.  If we don't have a very effective widely available treatment by the end of August they won't be any games.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2020, 11:54:50 AM »

OR is it just more practical to come up with a set of protocols and rules as the NCAA?  You're out there with no mask bumping against a sweating yelling (spitting) unmasked body of some strange kid from Detroit for 40 minutes, do you actually think some conference only rule about how you greet opponent after the game matters to COVID-19?  This is all pretty silly.  If we don't have a very effective widely available treatment by the end of August they won't be any games.

NCAA should be dictating protocol over all member schools regardless of division or conference.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2020, 02:55:39 PM »

NCAA should be dictating protocol over all member schools regardless of division or conference.

Agreed, rather disappointed by the lack of leadership here by the NCAA.