Author Topic: And so it begins  (Read 32560 times)

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: And so it begins
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2020, 01:09:50 PM »
I just don't see the Penguins taking the field in 2020.  Not trying to be negative but I'm being a realist.
Without a widely available vaccine by "game time" I would tend to agree.  IF we have a vaccine, they LET'S GO GUINS!
I don't get the "conference only" concept.  It is like you can't mingle with strangers, but it is OK to mingle with friends??!?!  Like friends can't carry the virus?  Playing Northern Iowa is OK, but paying Iowa State would be too dangerous?!?!?  WTF is anybody thinking about with this?!?!?1

I believe the rationale for conference only schedule is that conference members can collectively agree on safety protocols, if the Big ten collectively agrees on sideline masks and twice a week testing for example , they’ll feel comfortable playing teams they know have the same focus on safety but if they play OOC they won’t know and may not agree with how those other teams are handling things

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2020, 03:36:47 PM »
It may just be me, but it doesn't matter if all are "following the same protocols" the safety provided by doing that is minimal to say the least. In the grand scheme of things, over the course of a season it will minimally prevent spread of COVID19. I wish more legitimate and concrete moves were being made, but doing something is better than nothing I suppose.

I really doubt though that this will prevent any outbreaks in Big10 schools. Hell schools have spread and no games are being played, just practice! More honest idea would be to move the season to the spring as sad as that is.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2020, 08:38:12 AM »
I just don't see the Penguins taking the field in 2020.  Not trying to be negative but I'm being a realist.
Without a widely available vaccine by "game time" I would tend to agree.  IF we have a vaccine, they LET'S GO GUINS!
I don't get the "conference only" concept.  It is like you can't mingle with strangers, but it is OK to mingle with friends??!?!  Like friends can't carry the virus?  Playing Northern Iowa is OK, but paying Iowa State would be too dangerous?!?!?  WTF is anybody thinking about with this?!?!?1

I believe the rationale for conference only schedule is that conference members can collectively agree on safety protocols, if the Big ten collectively agrees on sideline masks and twice a week testing for example , they’ll feel comfortable playing teams they know have the same focus on safety but if they play OOC they won’t know and may not agree with how those other teams are handling things
If you don't agree, you don't play.  The "testing twice a week" comment highlights just how ineffective a test is.  You don't know from day to day if you have been infected and can spreed the virus. I repeat my position, if it is safe to play somebody from in the conference, then it can be equally safe to play somebody from outside the conference.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2020, 01:09:53 PM »
I fail to see how playing the North and South Dakota, over a thousand miles away would be safer than playing Akron 50 miles away

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2020, 01:21:17 PM »
I do not think it is safety, I agree that it is common protocols. Also, most conference games do not begin until October. I just adds another 4-6 weeks

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2020, 04:07:10 PM »
I fail to see how playing the North and South Dakota, over a thousand miles away would be safer than playing Akron 50 miles away
I get what you are saying, but this may not be the best example.  I'd much rather play in SD, ND than Akron.  I think there are more deaths in Akron than either of the STATES of ND, and SD. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2020, 04:09:19 PM »
I do not think it is safety, I agree that it is common protocols. Also, most conference games do not begin until October. I just adds another 4-6 weeks
Who cares a twit about common protocols if they aren't focused on safety?  Sometimes you lose me.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2020, 09:28:31 PM »
College football season in the spring? Support for the concept is growing

The 2020 college football season is already certain to be played amid unprecedented circumstances. Would shifting the entire season to the spring be a bridge too far for CFB stakeholders?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29456649/a-spring-2021-college-football-season-coronavirus-impacted-schedule-look-like
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2020, 08:26:49 AM »
Yes it would. Might as well cancel it. I live in Columbus. All fans plan vacations and in other ways schedule their lives around it. Then again, isn't cancellation what the media wants anyways?

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2020, 09:03:16 AM »
I could see the season starting in the fall, than after a huge spike in infections, being canceled and then postponed till spring.  Your record from the fall will be carried over to the spring (and that's if a vaccine is discovered).

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2020, 10:33:03 AM »
Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference suspends sports in 2020, eyeing spring football

https://www.wkbn.com/sports/pennsylvania-state-athletic-conference-suspends-sports-in-2020-eyeing-spring-football/

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2020, 11:12:37 AM »
Yes it would. Might as well cancel it. I live in Columbus. All fans plan vacations and in other ways schedule their lives around it. Then again, isn't cancellation what the media wants anyways?

Someone should tell them that there is more to life than football!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2020, 05:23:35 PM »
The Horizon League today canceled competition in all sports, conference and non-conference, until at least October 1. It is becoming more obvious that the next YSU sporting event will take place in 2021.  Whether that will be in January or the next fall remains to be seen.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2020, 07:21:26 PM »
Ironic that football would be 2 days later!!!1

Mid-American Conference delays the start of fall sports
SPORTS
The MAC has postponed the start of fall sports until Sept. 3

https://www.wkbn.com/sports/mid-american-conference-delays-the-start-of-fall-sports/

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: And so it begins - MVFC
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2020, 05:41:44 AM »
From today’s Tribune/Vindy:

MVFC still on course

Strollo: YSU football, others seeking full season in 2020
LOCAL SPORTS
JUL 17, 2020

JOHN VARGO
Sports Reporter
jvargo@tribtoday.com

The Patriot League and Ivy League have canceled fall sports.

On Thursday, Fox Sports reporter Bruce Feldman said the Colonial Athletic Association will announce today the league will not be playing football this fall with other CAA teams because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Nicole Auerbach of The Athletic said there are no CAA league games, but anyone in the conference wanting to play an independent schedule can do so.

The CAA includes 2016 FCS champion James Madison, the national runner-up in 2017 and ’19 to North Dakota State University.

So far, NDSU and the other Missouri Valley Football Conference schools have not made a decision about their fall future. Youngstown State University is in the MVFC.

YSU Executive Director of Athletics Ron Strollo said he doesn’t expect a decision one way or another on the MVAC teams to be in the near future.

“I think we, as a group, are very committed to having a full season right now,” Strollo said. “We’ll continue to evaluate the national landscape and the situation with the virus as these weeks pass by.”

YSU is scheduled to start the season Sept. 5 at Akron before its two non-conference games, Sept. 12 vs. Duquesne and Sept. 19 vs. Eastern Kentucky. Ironically, the Penguins first three games are against opponents closer than any MVFC opponent, which would be Indiana State — six-and-a-half hours away in Terre Haute, Indiana.

Despite the distance, Strollo said the MVFC is still interested in playing a full season, but knows things change daily in the world of the COVID-19 pandemic.

“I don’t think we’re going to rush to a decision,” Strollo said. “If we can play all of our games, that would be great. If we have to play conference games, that would be the next step. We’re not to the point where we’re ready to make those decisions.”