Author Topic: The Non-political 2020 Football Thread  (Read 4948 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
The Non-political 2020 Football Thread
« on: July 06, 2020, 11:09:22 PM »
Would anybody care to discuss YSU football here instead of the culture wars and the left-right political split? How about this.  Looking at the roster, there are only 8 offensive linemen, and two of those are redshirt freshmen. The incoming freshmen are not listed yet, but have we ever had this kind of lack of depth at such a critical position?

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The Non-political 2020 Football Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 08:50:43 AM »
  Wick you bring up a very good point.  O line looks very shaky.  Overall major concerns about this season, no proven QB as well.  I saw an early FCS Poll, and I apologize for not knowing which one, but they have North Dakota State, South Dakota State, UNI as their top three in the nation.   Phillps has so much work to do to get the YSU program competitive.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 10:46:51 AM »
but have we ever had this kind of lack of depth at such a critical position?
Yes! in 2019 if memory serves! (and it killed us)
I think we have 2 (maybe 3) QB's that are significantly more talented that we have had in many seasons, including, again, 2019.  Mays was a good kid and tough as nails, but he was always injured and we had -0- experience behind him.  Now we have Craycraft with several starts behind him, and a RS freshman with 4 games experience and a TON of ability, and the highest rated recruit in YSU history coming in in Crenshaw. 
This issue is keeping at least one of them in one piece and this OL seems REALLY questionable no matter how you look at it. Good grief, I see a the tackle from Girard starting at OT.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 12:29:55 PM »
Only YSU would promote the OL coach for underachieving as a recruiter and everything OL related. Someone explain that to me?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 01:15:38 PM »
Only YSU would promote the OL coach for underachieving as a recruiter and everything OL related. Someone explain that to me?

I am not necessarily defending Peterson, but remember that he was here for only one year.  He was working with senior linemen that he did not recruit.  Was their poor performance due to his coaching or a basic lack of talent?  I cannot say.  For recruiting, Peterson is responsible only for the redshirt freshmen and the incoming freshmen.  It is not possible yet to evaluate them.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 09:30:29 PM »
I do not know if this is a positive spin or not, but our depth may not be as big an issue? I think there will be no games played this year! Hopefully with an extra year of weight lifting and some practicing will the line be better?

Looking at it this way, I will still be positive and optimistic. Assuming a season is played, the line might not be great, but I hope it improves from last year.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 07:36:37 AM »
  Peterson's offensive line underachieved last year, that group had experience and was supposed to be a strength.  Not sure what he did to get a promotion.  He has landed some good jobs during his career, but he can't keep them.   He parts ways rather quickly, which might be a red flag.   

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 10:45:19 AM »
Petersons YSU bio raves about his recruiting while at OSU.  As a mater of fact he was the recruiting coordinator there.  Honestly. I think he is at YSU to pad his state retirement and to get his kid started in the business.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 02:34:47 PM »
Would anybody care to discuss YSU football here instead of the culture wars and the left-right political split? How about this.  Looking at the roster, there are only 8 offensive linemen, and two of those are redshirt freshmen. The incoming freshmen are not listed yet, but have we ever had this kind of lack of depth at such a critical position?

Yes we had it under Bo the last couple of years. He recruited all guys for defense, then moved them over to offense. We only had 6 going into last season.