Author Topic: Future of YSU sports  (Read 19217 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Future of YSU sports
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2020, 04:01:45 PM »
Good link showing athletic budgets, costs and amount of institutional support for their athletic programs.  I think YSU was at 72% which I think was a higher percentage than Akron.  Hers the link:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/datacentral/2020/02/192-million-in-student-fees-other-school-subsidies-for-sports-at-ohio-division-i-public-universities.html%3foutputType=amp
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2020, 01:41:55 PM »
Good link showing athletic budgets, costs and amount of institutional support for their athletic programs.  I think YSU was at 72% which I think was a higher percentage than Akron.  Hers the link:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/datacentral/2020/02/192-million-in-student-fees-other-school-subsidies-for-sports-at-ohio-division-i-public-universities.html%3foutputType=amp
percentages are one thing, but I measure most things in $$$ and YSU is BY FAR the lowest subsidy school with football, at nearly 1/2 the next couple schools.  This says beyond a doubt YSU needs to INCREASE it's subsidy to football!  Thank God we aren't in the MAC, it is WAY too expensive!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2020, 04:48:23 PM »
What's the game plan in the Athletic Department to save money with yesterdays decision?  Will they strike too if they don't get their way like the union has threatened?

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2020, 06:37:13 PM »
What's the game plan in the Athletic Department to save money with yesterdays decision?  Will they strike too if they don't get their way like the union has threatened?

What was yesterdays decision?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2020, 01:15:06 PM »
My point was without student fees we are not self sufficient in athletics.  Too bad every week wasn’t a money game in football lol!

percentages are one thing, but I measure most things in $$$ and YSU is BY FAR the lowest subsidy school with football, at nearly 1/2 the next couple schools.  This says beyond a doubt YSU needs to INCREASE it's subsidy to football!  Thank God we aren't in the MAC, it is WAY too expensive!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2020, 11:15:15 PM »
I believe the Athletic Department has already been trimmed but what is the plan now?  How many get-to-know videos can the SID staff do?  I just cant see pouring money down the drain for what?

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2020, 10:32:57 AM »
  There are four full-time staff working in the Sports Information Department.  For a smaller D-1 program that needs to cut costs that ridiculous.   I know times are changing and there may be more sports, but when Greg Gulas was there was a one man band.  I would also make the case that Greg got a lot media coverage for YSU as well.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2020, 05:32:46 PM »
I only know of 3 full-timers in the SI department. Trevor is in charge of the department, has 1/2 website duties and spends most of his time with FB. Jamie Does publishing (programs and paper), SB, MBB and Track/XC. John was part-time, now full. He is the other half of the web and used to focus more on women's sports. Now, the sports are divided more equally between them. I am not sure if that is overstaffed, but I would not think so.

When Greg started, we were just transitioning from DII to DI and he had people as well. later in his tenure a full staff. Remember that we did not even have a full time AD for quite some time (although Malmisar was full-time). coaches worked things out themselves. Tressel became AD with a small stipend being added to his salary. That was the only thing that got his income up over $100k. I do not have a list, but we have had 11 AD's (including Strollo).

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2020, 07:00:47 PM »
I think its fair to say with no competition they're overstaffed.  If things don't start backup until 2021 that will have been 10 months of a lot of idle time and expense.