Author Topic: Move FCS football permanently to the spring  (Read 7177 times)

Offline 4lessgovt

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Move FCS football permanently to the spring
« on: August 11, 2020, 10:37:47 AM »
I had posted on this a few years ago.  FCS joined by as many non-Power Five conferences that would  join, should permanently move to the spring.   The attendance/loge model does not generate enough revenue.  TV money is needed.   
With the academic financial difficulties the virus is exposing, it is going to be a harder sell to subsidize college sports.   That coupled with many administrators and the vocal part of the student bodies, hate football.

The opportunity is there to fill all of the open space on the many national and regional sport networks desperate for programing.   Thursday, Friday and Monday nights, and all day Saturday & Sunday is there for the taking.
You could still play 2 games in the fall, if money games are still needed.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Move FCS football permanently to the spring
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 10:19:48 PM »
Your argument seems feasible on the surface, but when you did deeper you uncover two flaws.  First, there is no tv money for FCS or G5 football.  ESPN might offer FCS a token payment to play in the spring just as they give the MAC to play on weeknights in the fall.  But that would not amount to much.  Furthermore, every "created for television" spring professional football league has failed. And the regional sports networks turn to their cash cow, MLB, seven days a week starting in the spring.

Second, although television money has forced baseball to play until it nearly snows and basketball to crown a champion in June, on the basic level American sports are deeply rooted in our culture and strongly tied to the seasons.  Football in the fall.  Baseball in the spring and summer.  Basketball in the winter. For baseball and football that pattern has been set since the 19th century.

Offline 4lessgovt

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 10:29:54 AM »
There is no money for FCS or G5 in the fall is a fact.  The MAC contract just proves there is no money in the fall. It is to be determined if it is there is money in the Spring.

Professional Spring football leagues need to make a profit quickly.  Probably in 2-3 years.  They also have high startup costs.  They are also risking their own money.    FCS in the spring has everything already in place.  They just need to reduce their losses and increase their visibility for success.   They are also subsidized with other people’s money.

A lot of markets have more than one regional sports station, but it is the national sports stations where the opportunity is.  Football is king in this country.  A lot of us will watch it all year.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 11:15:32 AM »
Just FCS in the spring will never happen, need the money games against FBS teams and some still fill out schedules with D2 schools.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline 4lessgovt

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 11:50:57 AM »
You could play 2 games in the fall as a buyer or a seller or a home and home. 

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 12:23:47 PM »
The kids will not be able to play in the spring and then in the fall.  There will be too many injuries that are far more serious and life changing than a bad common cold.  The bottom line is there will be no football season until next year.....and maybe longer if these leftist libtards keep trying to control people. 

Mortality rates are way down.  Hospitalizations are way down.  Treatments are way better.  But these ********s want to control people and take down the economy because they know better than all of you dumb common folk that follow sports.  These retards just sealed the re-election of Trump.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 04:29:01 PM »
Let's stick to sports. Besides. No sports in fall most certainly means ma$$ive political change, so your pre-election results could not be more off.  I am tired of moving all of these topics to the junk board. THe question is moving football to spring. Never happen. The sport would lose half of it's viewership. People hate change, it does not get any more simple than that. I would watch an MLB game over an NFL game anytime.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 05:30:41 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline 4lessgovt

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 05:39:29 PM »
My point is to permanently move FCS (1AA) to the fall so you don’t have to compete with the Power Five football conferences, high schools, and Pro football for attention.    The goal is to increase attendance, TV exposure and revenues.   The biggest opportunity being TV.
Added bonus is the Championship game could be held in the North or Midwest.

Offline cjm

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 03:44:21 PM »
cant see this happening. most FCS teams would have to forfeit their "money game" and for better or worse many of these institutions rely on that money. Also, as stated above, most of us don't want changes to 'tradition' and at least for me, the idea football in the spring just doesn't sound exciting.

If the FCS has trouble bringing in viewership during the fall season, i can't imagine spring play moving the needle. i'd say it would probably be the opposite because now you are going up against baseball and to avoid the potential for heat exhaustion playing into the in the summer, you'd probably want to start your season in the beginning of march which now you are also competing with basketball and the college tourney.

Also, when would teams "spring" game and training be? most likely the dead of winter which limits outdoors training and potential eligibility issues for transfers between bcs and fcs based on what time of year the transfer happens. but that's all conjecture on my part.

Offline cjm

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 03:48:02 PM »
and also thinking how this could affect any potential NFL draft prospects, you would basically be a year behind because your season now overlaps with the draft.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2020, 10:18:45 PM »
regardless of how this turns out the financial ramifications will be huge

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 03:04:56 PM »
The United States Football League (USFL) was an American football league that played for three seasons, 1983 through 1985. The league played a spring/summer schedule in each of its active seasons.

And how well did this work out?  Just ask New Jersey General's owner Donald J. Trump!

Once worked for a home improvement company out of Youngstown and the owner looked for stores in places that "needed us" like East Liverpool and Wellsville.  I always told him, "we want people who already understand.  YSU is in the education business, we are in the retail business."   Football is a fall sport. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 06:08:37 PM »
Football is a fall sport.  I do not like spring football.  That being said, I would rather YSU play in the spring and I can attend the games than play in the fall but no one could attend.  It's a 1 year thing...hopefully.