Author Topic: Future of the Athletic Department  (Read 9185 times)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Future of the Athletic Department
« on: May 06, 2020, 10:31:34 PM »
Although nothing has been formally announced regarding the Athletic Department staffing it appears that it will most certainly be trimmed.  I cant imagine that the AD wasn't more proactive in furloughing people as soon as the university went to online studies.  To me that makes zero sense as the department works on a shoestring budget with the exception of the bloated support staff.   

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Athletic Department
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 08:33:40 AM »
 Not looking to get into a Strollo bashing, but I am not a fan.  He is not proactive in anything he does, he can't handle change, that is why marketing is stuck in the 1970's.   That being said, he doesn't have the ability or skill set to do this.  It would have to come from above.

Also, the sports information director married Strollo's sister, you think he is getting furloughed?  I would think at some point the economics of this would cause major cuts, and potentially head coaches taking pay cuts and each athletic program losing assistants.

State universities are taking big hits, look what Governor DeWine did this week, a 775 million dollar cut to the budget.   

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 12:46:42 PM »
If I was the SID I would not have a picture of Pete the Penguin with snow on May 7th on the homepage of YSU Sports.  I would also offer updated pics of the new and enhanced facilities.  Just a thought from a fan.  Wouldn't it be a nice recruiting tool with the COVID?  No tennis center pics or new press box pics.  A COMPLETE DISGRACE.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 07:52:50 PM »
If I was the SID I would not have a picture of Pete the Penguin with snow on May 7th on the homepage of YSU Sports.  I would also offer updated pics of the new and enhanced facilities.  Just a thought from a fan.  Wouldn't it be a nice recruiting tool with the COVID?  No tennis center pics or new press box pics.  A COMPLETE DISGRACE.

If you go under facilities, the pictures for Stambaugh and the Tennis Center are updated. Beeghly page is still outdated.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 07:53:14 PM »
We are heading toward the moment of truth.  Like all divisions within the university, athletics will face substantial cuts during this unprecedented crisis.  So do we fire assistant coaches and cut scholarships down to the minimum in most sports?  Or do we finally pursue a course that some of us have been demanding for years: namely, the elimination of that army of superfluous athletic administrators?  Reasonable people would expect the latter course of action.  Don't bet on it.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 09:47:50 PM »
TRIM THE FAT

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 08:17:42 AM »
You know, we need to attack and get title-IX reversed; there is your money-saver for just about all universities. I mean we spend so much money on sports that no one will ever care about. Our football program used to pay for itself and the rest of the sports here at YSU, certainly not anymore. Until the system is changed, there can be no savings. Look how many years (and how much $$$) it took YSU to become title-ix compliant.
Alas, a politically incorrect solution will never "fly" in today's world.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 11:22:39 AM »
should we drop to D-2 or 1AA non scholarship.  our fan base is gone anyway

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 03:48:00 PM »
You know, we need to attack and get title-IX reversed; there is your money-saver for just about all universities. I mean we spend so much money on sports that no one will ever care about. Our football program used to pay for itself and the rest of the sports here at YSU, certainly not anymore. Until the system is changed, there can be no savings. Look how many years (and how much $$$) it took YSU to become title-ix compliant.
"attack and get title IX reversed" is ridiculous.  First of all, with politics the way it is today, it would take virtually a constitutional amendment to change Title IX, IF reversing it was even a good thing.  I know it costs a little money, but you can take "cheap" sports like bowling (Ohio State doesn't even have an NCAA bowling team) and lacrosse which uses existing fields etc to hold down expenses and it isn't much in the whole scope of things.  And that's IF you wanted to the the university who stands out as wanting to cut women's sports to better fund a losing football team!?!?!?  Seriously?!!?!?   Better approach is develop a decent football program and create from scratch a marketing department in a brand new athletic department to work to develop community support.  As long as we have Strollo and his pack of do noting cronies in the AD, our budget is doomed unless DP is the new JT.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 03:51:40 PM »
We are heading toward the moment of truth.  Like all divisions within the university, athletics will face substantial cuts during this unprecedented crisis.  So do we fire assistant coaches and cut scholarships down to the minimum in most sports?  Or do we finally pursue a course that some of us have been demanding for years: namely, the elimination of that army of superfluous athletic administrators?  Reasonable people would expect the latter course of action.  Don't bet on it.
Or you bust your butt to market the football program and play your ass off this fall and sell some damn tickets.  Always the loser's approach at YSU, never "how do we turn this around and win", but how do we cut to lose money slower.
With Strollo and cronies this is hopeless, but it isn't hopeless, just get some good people that work to improve!

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 12:16:00 PM »
I am still not convinced that there will even be any games this fall to sell tickets to. How many tickets you sell may be a mute point.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2020, 12:22:48 PM »

That will never happen.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 08:40:07 AM »
I am still not convinced that there will even be any games this fall to sell tickets to. How many tickets you sell may be a mute point.
The virus is over, the "shelter in place" policy only made things worse and should NEVER be repeated even if we have an outbreak this fall.  Football (and ALL of life) needs to return to normal ASAP.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 09:28:54 AM »
  As for football returning, this issue is much larger than social distancing and games being played without fans.  At the FCS level, and YSU specifically how do you justify flying a football team four times at around $80,000 per charter when you have zero revenue coming in?   Also, YSU is asking employees to take pay cuts, and who pays for the testing of players?

High level FBS is a completely different story because of major television contracts. 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 10:14:16 AM »
  As for football returning, this issue is much larger than social distancing and games being played without fans.  At the FCS level, and YSU specifically how do you justify flying a football team four times at around $80,000 per charter when you have zero revenue coming in?   Also, YSU is asking employees to take pay cuts, and who pays for the testing of players?

High level FBS is a completely different story because of major television contracts. 

This is exactly what will happen.  The strongest and wealthiest big time powers will put together games in empty stadiums just for television consumption.  Everybody else will not play this season. 

As hard as it will be for us to accept this, it is the best result for the future of YSU football.  Without spring practice, we were staring at an unmitigated disaster for Phillips and his new staff.  No chance whatsoever to be competitive.  Now he will have 16 more months, spring ball in 2021, and then summer practice before the start of the 2021 season.  The layoff will hurt other FCS programs but actually help us.