Author Topic: Old Highlights  (Read 9525 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Old Highlights
« on: May 02, 2020, 09:49:13 PM »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Old Highlights
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 10:59:25 PM »
Gosh that was fun.  when they had to make a play someone did.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 11:03:57 PM »
YSU dominated the line of scrimmage back then.  Honestly,
they were complete teams with weapons and game changers on both sides of the field.  Then throw in Jeff Wilkins who never missed no matter how big the moment.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 01:31:58 PM »
Just how great was Leon Jones? Such the opposite player of today. He was big and with that wingspan had the ability to cover huge areas of turf. Such a nose for the ball.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 01:34:24 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 02:40:19 PM »
Gosh that was fun.  when they had to make a play someone did.
DITTO!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 02:44:43 PM »
Leon's shoulder pads were huge

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 03:13:32 PM »
Leon's shoulder pads were huge
It was a strategic plan to cover his Mr. Gadget arms!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 06:41:36 PM »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 08:58:18 AM »
Alcorn State. Air McNair game

https://www.facebook.com/YoungstownStateFootball/videos/249552796486206/
I was there for the Alcorn game.  It was as lopsided as the score, but the highlights make it look like we picked off McNair every time he threw and as I recall he completed a BUNCH.  I remember us with kind of a old Browns "bend but don't break" defense, with them going up and down between the 20s, but us not letting them do much in the red zone.   

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 09:08:56 AM »
I was at that game too, best atmosphere I ever saw.  I yearn for those 90's teams/days.  Unbelievable how good they were.  A revolving door of really good quarterbacks, insane defenses, and running backs with speed...Sean was amazing.  How did he not play in the NFL?  Look at the crowd size.  Makes you appreciate what you once had.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 09:32:03 AM »
I was at that game too, best atmosphere I ever saw.  I yearn for those 90's teams/days.  Unbelievable how good they were.  A revolving door of really good quarterbacks, insane defenses, and running backs with speed...Sean was amazing.  How did he not play in the NFL?  Look at the crowd size.  Makes you appreciate what you once had.
Revolving door of really good QB's? they were OK.  insane D's? they were OK, Speed? Tamron was our best and he wasn't that fast.  What we had was the BEST COACH!!  Players came and went, the whole thing was the COACH!  And the SOB is a doing more for YSU as President than he did as a coach! 
Watch ALL these highlights posted on this thread.  The same cool, calm, collected guy in control of every detail every game, every play.  Bo got so sweep up in complaining, I'm not certain he knew what down it was sometimes.  That's why he is a good coordinator, somebody else is paying attention to the game!
I watched us play for 6 national championships under JT, and 3 more in Columbus, We won 5 of those games and I though we had the best team on the field in exactly 1 of those games.  We won 5 because we had the best coach.  (1994 in case anybody is curious)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 11:23:03 AM »

"Insane defenses."  An excellent description of the force that propelled us to four titles in the 90s.  They were not great because they had NFL caliber individuals.  They were great because they played together as a unit, followed the game plans to perfection, and made very few mistakes.  Over sixteen quarters in our four title game triumphs, the defense surrendered only FOUR touchdowns.  And one of those came after Boise State intercepted a pass and returned it inside our ten. Over those sixteen quarters, they shut out our opponents completely ten times (discounting the intentional safety late in the 1993 Marshall game for which the defense was not responsible.)  And Marshall, Boise State, and, to a lesser extent, McNeese State had prolific offenses.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 07:36:23 PM »
They were complete teams, good on offense, defense special teams and coaching.  When one area was not doing well other parts of the team picked up the slack. 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 09:55:26 AM »
They were great times for one simple reason - head coach.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne