Author Topic: Transfer Portal- Basketball  (Read 10976 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Transfer Portal- Basketball
« on: March 25, 2020, 04:56:42 PM »
Jelani was the first and now Ola has joined for the men.

On the women's side, Ny'Dajah and Deleah have entered the transfer portal.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer Portal- Basketball
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 10:08:31 PM »
Ola is not a surprise at all. I really think he needs to drop to D2or D3. I can't figure out what happened to to him after he debuted last year. He did break his hand twice this summer that set him back but he just never looked comfortable when he played. He couldn't stay out of foul trouble & honestly just seemed like he didn't know what to do when he got the ball. Seems like a good kid & wish him the best, but just don't see him as a D1 player.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 11:51:24 PM »
No loss on the women's side.  Gibson is not a DI player, and Jackson would never get off the bench next season if we are finally healthy.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 06:46:16 PM »
Ola is not a surprise at all. I really think he needs to drop to D2or D3. I can't figure out what happened to to him after he debuted last year. He did break his hand twice this summer that set him back but he just never looked comfortable when he played. He couldn't stay out of foul trouble & honestly just seemed like he didn't know what to do when he got the ball. Seems like a good kid & wish him the best, but just don't see him as a D1 player.

Agree 100%.   I would say he's a legit D1 rim protector but the offense wasn't there.  I think it was confidence with a lack of playing time.  He seemed to be a a great teammate.   I hope he finds a good program where he can contribute.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 07:38:55 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 08:01:42 PM »
Shemar Rathan-Mayes has committed to take the scholly left by Ola leaving.

He's a 5-11 point guard from Orangeville Prep which is quite possibly the top prep team in Canada. They churn out a ton of D1 prospects every year.

Had offers from Southern Utah, UIC and Central Michigan.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 08:05:50 PM by ytownchief22 »

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 08:09:10 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1FJ_VEg1XI

Don't want to get caught up in comparisons but his game looks a little like DQ's.

Coach Calhoun pounding the pavement !

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 10:32:51 PM »

Don't want to get caught up in comparisons but his game looks a little like DQ's.

Boy you're right

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 09:10:29 AM »
Carson Ryan from Struthers is joining the program as a walk-on.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 11:33:23 AM »
   I never understand the Carson Ryan stuff.  I probably saw him play 10 times over four years, I don't think he could play D-3 college basketball.   Watched him score 4 points in district final vs Chaney, completely overwhelmed by Chaney's athleticism.  Very slow, doesn't shoot it well, what is there to like about his game?

Slocum's grandson and another player on that Struthers team were both better than Ryan.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 04:48:00 PM »
Tyler Foster has entered the portal on the men's side.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 05:12:54 PM »
Not good news.  He just transferred in last season and with Jelani Simmons leaving It would open up his playing time.   Tyler hardly played once we got into league play so maybe YSU wasn't a good fit.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 08:47:34 AM »

You gotta love the pink unis!!
He and DQ should have similar numbers lake 3 and 8 so you aren't even sure who's on the floor!  Even the hair is similar.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 06:19:43 PM »
New Penguin(John Vargo's twitter)   Greyson Kelly 6-1 guard .   He's a graduate transfer from Shaw college which i'm guessing is D2.

19.2 pts per game,47% from the field,43.4% from three,and 92% from the foul line.  From his video he looks like he's can play pretty physical and I'm already calling him the best pure shooter on the roster but I tend to be a hyper embellish fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_FQufQVt-E

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 09:15:34 AM »
New Penguin(John Vargo's twitter)   Greyson Kelly 6-1 guard .   He's a graduate transfer from Shaw college which i'm guessing is D2.

19.2 pts per game,47% from the field,43.4% from three,and 92% from the foul line.  From his video he looks like he's can play pretty physical and I'm already calling him the best pure shooter on the roster but I tend to be a hyper embellish fan.

For D-whatever, they pack the band box gym every game. 
He looks and plays just like Matthew Dellavedova of the Cavs.  As an aside, he is the only white kid on an otherwise all black team from "an historically all black university". 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 10:23:20 AM »

For D-whatever, they pack the band box gym every game. 
He looks and plays just like Matthew Dellavedova of the Cavs.  As an aside, he is the only white kid on an otherwise all black team from "an historically all black university".

I thought it was neat seeing a white guy playing  HBCU baskrtball.      I watched a little video from an actual  full game and he never handled the ball in the backcourt.   He's a two guard in point guard body so he most likely will not be backing up DQ.  When playing in Shaw's offense he sort of played a swing mans role,not sure how he'll be used in coach C's offense .