Author Topic: Beeghly Center  (Read 7046 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Beeghly Center
« on: March 22, 2020, 08:55:44 AM »
A little glimmer of hope here in this article. Hopefully they can get some renovating done to the toilet.

https://www.vindy.com/sports/ysu-sports/2020/03/hopeful-for-changes/

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Beeghly Center
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 09:11:34 AM »
Here a few quick fixes I'd make. 
Invest in 4 portable hoops systems you can use for practice and get rid of the hanging hoops from the ceiling.  Looks bush league.

Move all of the media to one side, push the benches down out so walkons will be behind the hoops on the sideline.  Make courtside seating on that side. 

Read seats all around.  Get red hard plastic bleachers in the endzones.

Maybe take out out one of the endzone and put some glass and a few rows of seating in below it and have club seating like Kent does, or whatever the hell it is in the one endzone. 

Stat boards with live time team stats behind the hoops.

Get rid of the wannabe LED bush league looking 32 inch TV's inside a score table that look horrible.  I don't know what they would half ass that.  If your not ready to do it right, then don't do it.

Ok, let's fund-raise. 

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 09:19:09 AM »
This is very exciting news!  Preferably, I wish they could "gut" the building.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 02:48:30 PM »
  This will take time, and the timing couldn't be worse.  With the country in crisis, this all likely will be put on hold.  Even those with the resources in the community to support are taking a beating right now.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 08:02:15 PM »
Changes needed. Have to stop putting so much money into football which is a loser.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 08:49:57 AM »
I have never understood all of this continuous talk about updating Beeghly. In truth it will do nothing outside of possibly recruits. The issue is now and always has been ...the product, not the wrapping. Look at Butler's hell-whole, yet it always sold out because of the product. Now it sells because of the competition's product. There would not be a seat in Beeghly if we were bringing in Big EAST teams twice-a-week. If you want a quick and equally-effective solution, talk to Covelli and get the old GM center to host a few games. Then convince the Ohio DI teams to hold a tourney there. Do we realize just how many great basketball programs are in Ohio? How about a concert/YSU game combo or two? UNI does it in the UNI-Dome. How about a NEO vs WPA tourney? Rotate between Covelli and Some place in Pittsburgh.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 10:55:56 AM »
I don't think Beeghly is as bad as some say.  I have noticed that the other Horizon league teams facilities or most do not have bleacher seats .   Perhaps if they put permanent back seats to replace the bleachers it will look like the rest of the conference.   I haven't done the research so I'm not sure if most teams in the league have on campus facilities.   I think IUPUI  arena is not on their campus.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 03:03:14 PM »
I have never understood all of this continuous talk about updating Beeghly. In truth it will do nothing outside of possibly recruits. The issue is now and always has been ...the product, not the wrapping. Look at Butler's hell-whole, yet it always sold out because of the product. Now it sells because of the competition's product. There would not be a seat in Beeghly if we were bringing in Big EAST teams twice-a-week. If you want a quick and equally-effective solution, talk to Covelli and get the old GM center to host a few games. Then convince the Ohio DI teams to hold a tourney there. Do we realize just how many great basketball programs are in Ohio? How about a concert/YSU game combo or two? UNI does it in the UNI-Dome. How about a NEO vs WPA tourney? Rotate between Covelli and Some place in Pittsburgh.

You are so out of touch. Hinkle Fieldhouse where Butler plays is awesome. Beeghly is a dump and needs renovated.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 06:50:50 PM »
Butler's arena is historic. Ours is not. Butler's Arena is an icon in the state of Indiana. It has been updated if you haven't been there it's very nice. Beeghly Center on the other hand looks the same as it does since the 1980s when they remodeled it. We have to get the seats behind the Hoops back. It's like a football field behind a hoop too much space and no fans there. I agree we need to go to bleachers new signage, new scoreboards and maybe a few loges somewhere in the arena. It can be done but it will take money. Next year the team is going to be picked to be one of the favorites in the Horizon league and should probably win 20 or more games. That means unless we get a commitment to remodel beeghly Calhoun will seek a better job. Basketball can be good at YSU we need to take it serious.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 12:07:56 PM »
I agree that we should take it seriously. However Butler can afford to update...they are in a top conference now. The last major update gave new lockers, floor and facilities for the players, that was a higher priority. I am just saying that updates to The basketball viewing area have to come when we have the funds. Just remember that one good football game draws as much as all MBB games combined. Just a higher priority.

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 01:29:10 PM »
"Just remember that one good football game draws as much as all MBB games combined. Just a higher priority."

And also remember that football expenditures are much, much higher than basketball expenditures.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 05:42:18 PM »
"Just remember that one good football game draws as much as all MBB games combined. Just a higher priority."

And also remember that football expenditures are much, much higher than basketball expenditures.

Very good point Nick. Football loses money.mHelps having big fish who JT keeps happy and they keep the checkbook open.

Basketball needs to be the new priority.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 12:09:01 AM »
I respect those of you who are basketball-centric. But could you please tell us where the money is going to come from for the improvements that you seek?  When was the last time a member of the donor class made a sizeable contribution to basketball?  I think you have to go back to the Monus gang.  All the improvements that Strollo has made to the gym came from portions of the money from the football blood games.

There are about 240 seats in the middle sections set aside for Penguin club members.  They are rarely half full.  Contrast that to the 29 football loges plus the new ones that were constructed last season. 

If the general population of the Mahoning Valley liked basketball as much as some of you do, high school hoops here would not be so horribly bad.  So no donors and little interest.  Good luck with your quest to make basketball the priority.  I want all of our sports to be successful, but it is helpful to remain grounded in reality.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 07:41:12 AM »
As for basketball donors, you can start with one of the assistant coaches father, who has deep pockets and has well connected wealthy friends.  Basketball has a long way to go, but is on the rise.  If we are serious about basketball, now is the time.

We are going to be a conference contender the next two years, and most of us believe we finally have the right coach.  Wright State and Northern KY have amazing facilities and a commitment to basketball.  My concern is that our athletic department does not know how to do this, Strollo and his crew are pathetic.  It would have to be led by outside community leaders who are committed to upgrading Beeghly.

I'll be the first to admit if proven wrong, but football is dead.  We are banking on a 52 year old journeyman coach, who recently was out of football for 8 years, and his claim to fame is being a running backs coach.  That is fact.  Also fact is that the job was bought for him.  I know this is beating a dead horse, BUT, he wasn't top 3 after the interviews in Canton.  His staff is not impressive.  I'll be rooting for him. However, I don't see this turning around.  Heacock, Wolford, and Pelini couldn't do it, but Phillips can?  I don't think so.

Basketball the way to go.