Author Topic: Phillips comments on a radio program  (Read 4182 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Phillips comments on a radio program
« on: March 02, 2020, 06:47:24 PM »
Phillips was just on the radio program this evening.  I will try to summarize the key points that he made.

Quality offensive and defensive line play is a paramount priority.  He is well aware that the best teams in the MVFC have it and we must match it as quickly as possible.  He does like the defensive front from what he has seen on film.

From that film study, he knows that the offensive line requires much work.  Confirms the idea that it takes several years to properly develop o-linemen.

Peterson is a personal friend and it was an easy decision to retain his services.

In response to a question about his style of play, he will evaluate the talent in spring ball and devise the best schemes to work with that talent.  He will not impose schemes that his current roster cannot execute.

In response to the inevitable question about the quarterbacks, the response was refreshing: survival of the fittest.  Earn the right to be on the field.

Technique can easily be taught.  He is looking for players in spring ball that play with passion.

From the conditioning drills, he is impressed with the athleticism of the wide receivers.  Hopes that they can catch the ball.

That is about it.  Lots of "coach-speak" but he is well-aware of the challenges that he faces and has embraced them.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Phillips comments on a radio program
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 09:34:36 AM »
Good to know he sees this issues and isn't going into this blind.  (although you would need to be blind to miss the issues on the OL)  He has NO connection to any of the players, as do neither of the coordinators, so this is a perfect time to practice "survival of the fittest" to earn playing time. 
Anything new on Justus Reed staying/transferring?
Crenshaw enrolling early for spring ball, or fall only?
IMO Terry Grossetti is going to be a huge assist to Phillips and his staff.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 12:10:59 PM »
 Grossetti is out at strength and conditioning coach. Phillips has told some close friends that Crenshaw is at least a year away as a QB.   He was not recruited as a QB at the FBS level, much work needs to be done with ability to throw the ball effectively.  He won't be here til the fall.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 12:11:47 PM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 12:38:36 PM »
Grossetti is out at strength and conditioning coach. Phillips has told some close friends that Crenshaw is at least a year away as a QB.   He was not recruited as a QB at the FBS level, much work needs to be done with ability to throw the ball effectively.  He won't be here til the fall.
Grossetti was an asset, hate to see him out.  I watched as much as I could find of Crenshaw tapes yesterday.  His motion it terrible.  His numbers are good because the threat of the run draws the D up and he shot-puts the ball over their heads which works in HS.  I think he is maybe "never" away from being a good throwing QB.  He came here to play QB, because the FBS guys told him the truth, and I'm sure we promised him a chance at QB.  Sooner we get him to agree to TB behind Waid, the sooner we can really start to be effective on O.  We have a weak OL and not much at TB, which leaves us throwing too much.  Unless Chapman wakes up in a hurry, we are left with tiny scatbacks behind a weak line.  Not a great combination.  I was fine going into the season with Waid and still am.  I see him leaving YSU with every record in the books, so the ball is in Crenshaw's court.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 08:48:57 AM »
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/marquael-parks-235122 YSU offers Marquael Parks, would be fun to see him lined up as a slot receiver with Crenshaw on the field!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 09:30:49 AM »
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/marquael-parks-235122 YSU offers Marquael Parks, would be fun to see him lined up as a slot receiver with Crenshaw on the field!
Once Crenshaw is ready to play, which may be a while, the slot and TE's should have a field day, but this kid has just OK speed, vs. Orwell level competition.  For comparison take a look at this video, https://www.hudl.com/profile/4587872/DRA-RUSHTON
This is against arguably better competition and tell me how many guys are able to close on Dre from behind?  Yep, none!  I'll lake Rushton over an unsigned offer to Parks any day.