Author Topic: Horizon League Basketball Tourney  (Read 18471 times)

ValleyTalk

Re: Horizon League Basketball Tourney
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2020, 10:40:51 PM »
Why is UIC a higher seed than we are ?
We were locked into 5 seed Thursday night. We each split with WSU, but they beat NKU and we did not.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2020, 10:42:41 PM »
Why is UIC a higher seed than we are ?

They beat NKU in the 3rd tiebreaker

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2020, 10:50:25 PM »
Going to be a one-and-done in the tournament the way the team is playing now down the stretch. We can't shoot very well at all. Need to recruit some shooters

I’ll take the W. Nice to hold them under 70 after giving up over 100 two nights ago. We get these guys again Tuesday. They beat us here in OT so it will likely be another battle.

70 is definitely the magic  number.  Pretty impressive  that YSU is now 13-2 when holding opponents  to 70 or less and both losses were only by 2!

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2020, 10:54:08 PM »
Thanks guys for the clarity on the seed.   Hopefully they'll pack Beeghly for the game.  I have been screaming for Thomas to get some minutes and he played his worst game tonight.  Still think it's a confidence/mental thing .   Physical talent is there.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2020, 11:44:07 PM »
Thanks guys for the clarity on the seed.   Hopefully they'll pack Beeghly for the game.  I have been screaming for Thomas to get some minutes and he played his worst game tonight.  Still think it's a confidence/mental thing .   Physical talent is there.

It's a shame YSU blew a 9 point lead with under 4 to go to UIC at home or they would have swept them.

And yes likewise here on Thomas and I thought the same thing. Interesting to see Ola finally get some minutes for the first time since the last Milwaukee game 10 games ago. Thought his length helped create a couple turnovers there on the press but he seems so awkward on offense. I just can't figure it out. He wasn't that way last year especially early in the season. It's like the time off from 2 broken bones in his hand really regressed him.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2020, 08:23:31 AM »
Home game Tuesday night! See ya there!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2020, 09:53:10 PM »
Good win tonight! Crowd was very energetic!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 10:01:20 PM by ytownchief22 »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2020, 10:04:45 PM »
Good win tonight!

Yes, it was a team effort in playing great defense in the 2nd half holding WKE to 21 points.
I was at the game. The crowd was really loud, especially the student section and the band.
Good win.....on to Chicago to play UIC.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2020, 11:45:44 PM »
Whoever does the count for attendance at YSU basketball games is delirious. No chance there were only 2,100 people at the game. This whole athletic department is a joke.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2020, 09:28:14 AM »
Not much different than some other Horizon games where we just tough it up and go toe to toe.   Naz was going to the basket hard especially to the left side.  He's one of the few players who can run the point and play against the bigs in the post.
The bad was the turnovers.  This is not early season basketball vs Westminster,it's post season tournament play and they need to be careful with their passing and treat every possession like it's there last.

worried about UIC at their place.  They have a really good back court and their big man has put up good numbers against us in both games.  Guys need to bring their A game.

Last night broadcast on espn+ didn't have Robb Schmidt and Jim Campbell was on the call.  How many years has Jim been with the Youngstown area media ?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2020, 10:28:30 PM »
Would be huge to win this game vs UIC

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2020, 10:39:39 PM »
Buck,

Jim Campbell replaced the legendary Don Gardner as sports director of WKBN television sometimes in the mid-1970s.  A native of Wisconsin (I think,) Campbell has done more to promote YSU over the decades than any other member of the media.

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2020, 05:43:55 AM »
I would like to mention that Jim Campbell has given much of time to promoting all the sports at YSU.
He is also a Hall of Famer with the Curbstone Coaches in 2006.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2020, 09:56:05 PM »
Dumb mistake after dumb mistake. Did not deserve to win the game and didn't. Next year should be fun.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2020, 10:02:43 PM »
Hopefully we'll get a CIT or CBI tournament game.  I thought UIC length on D gave us problems along with getting beat on the boards 49- 36.  On the road especially in a tournament you got win the 50/50 balls if you shoot 36% from the field,25% from three,and 58% from the line.
 Proud of the way the guys battled and fought back every time UIC made a run.   Two years ago we would of been blown out by 30 so coach has the program going strong.