Author Topic: Assistant Coaches  (Read 26000 times)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 12:28:48 PM »
Yeah really! Does that mean u r disposable whem the defense doesnt perform?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 05:38:03 PM »
Quality control coach is usually a younger position that scouts future opponents and helps get the defense or offense ready when that week comes up and assists the actual position coaches. It's how a lot of young guys get their start.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 09:21:00 AM »
Quality control coach is usually a younger position that scouts future opponents and helps get the defense or offense ready when that week comes up and assists the actual position coaches. It's how a lot of young guys get their start.
Honestly chief, in reading this, it sounds like you could have just said, "I don't know either!"   
Sounds more like a paid "Graduate Assistant"
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 01:42:20 PM »
Honestly chief, in reading this, it sounds like you could have just said, "I don't know either!"   
Sounds more like a paid "Graduate Assistant"

Chief is spot-on. They can also mark and distribute game films to specific positions/players and in some cases they are in charge of the practice team(s).

So far, I am not sold on the coordinators, but there has been some good picks below that.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 01:44:47 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 03:43:41 PM »
There have been many complaints during recent years about how unprepared the teams seem to be especially against better opponents and how coaches seem unable to adjust effectively. Perhaps that has to do with the lack of quality control coaches and use of data to analyze the team and opponents.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2020, 08:41:27 PM »
You can have all the quality control coaches you want but if you don't have the right roster it doesn't matter.  We currently do not have the recruits to match-up with our MVFC conference opponents to go along with poor coaching.  Our conference record proves my point.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2020, 07:31:33 AM »
   Very surprised that Phillips kept Peterson.  Offensive line was supposed to be a strength last year, and it was awful.  Peterson also can't keep a job, journeyman coach.

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2020, 10:54:52 AM »
I like the assistants so far. The Coordinators have more experience than what we had under Bo. His were not much more than graduate assistants.  And the other assistants look like a good supporting staff. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2020, 01:36:32 PM »
There have been many complaints during recent years about how unprepared the teams seem to be especially against better opponents and how coaches seem unable to adjust effectively. Perhaps that has to do with the lack of quality control coaches and use of data to analyze the team and opponents.
Or it could be the coaches and/or players simply weren't to the level of the competition. I find it HARD to blame a quality control coach or what is described here as mostly a "paid graduate assistant", for any of our loses.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2020, 02:31:00 PM »
I like the assistants so far. The Coordinators have more experience than what we had under Bo. His were not much more than graduate assistants.  And the other assistants look like a good supporting staff.

I think that was only true the last 2-years dwj. When we had Carl and Shane, there was not a better set of coordinators in the country. Unfortunately they both left. I know that Carl's numbers on the scoreboard were a bit higher than I wanted, thus I was not a fan of his style; but there was little doubting his knowledge and ability. IMO defense is 3 area short, middle and deep. The Pelini's concentrated on short... QB pressure especially, but ignored the rest. You cannot be in the MVFC and expect your d-line to stop the run game by itself, as we found out the hard way over the last 2-years.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2020, 06:43:47 PM »
Devon Spalding is the new RB coach. Was a grad assistant last year at Cincy. Just graduated from Central Michigan in 2018 where he played RB and WR.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2020, 03:57:52 PM »
Website updated with Carl and Crist gone and Schaefer and Rothenbuhler listed, but they don't even have photos of them.  This entire search process to me, seems have a very Laissez-faire feel to it.  You'd think somebody would have a couple YSU shirts in the trunk and a iPhone with a pretty good camera and grab us a pic for the website at least?   Whatever, they don't seem to be in any rush, even though spring ball will be hear before you know it!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2020, 05:33:36 PM »
Website updated with Carl and Crist gone and Schaefer and Rothenbuhler listed, but they don't even have photos of them.  This entire search process to me, seems have a very Laissez-faire feel to it.  You'd think somebody would have a couple YSU shirts in the trunk and a iPhone with a pretty good camera and grab us a pic for the website at least?   Whatever, they don't seem to be in any rush, even though spring ball will be hear before you know it!

Their pictures will and info will be up soon. The whole website needs a refresh though. Lots of pictures and info outdated. Stambaugh doesn't have a picture with the east side press box up, the beeghly center picture may be one of the worst I've ever seen. That's your main page to showcase your athletic venues and it's embarrassing.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2020, 09:02:23 AM »

Their pictures will and info will be up soon. The whole website needs a refresh though. Lots of pictures and info outdated. Stambaugh doesn't have a picture with the east side press box up, the beeghly center picture may be one of the worst I've ever seen. That's your main page to showcase your athletic venues and it's embarrassing.
They do have info on a couple of the guys, but many listed here aren't on the site.  The Stambaugh shots are, some of them, MANY years old.  This is a fully accredited university isn't it?  With photo journalism majors? Computer tech majors? Web design students? Marketing majors?   Seems to me we have deteriorated to the level of many universities that don't teach anything about real life skills only the theoretical.  You'd think somebody would want real life experience?  I'll even bet $2 (my max bet) that some of our students have drones with cameras!  Whatever.  What matters in the end is can they coach, and me recognizing them isn't going to help that.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2020, 10:46:33 PM »
Austin Bujnoch is coming as an assistant OL coach.

Justin Cummings-Morrow is the new director of football operations. Held that job at Iowa State the last 2 years.

Derek Van Blarcom is assistant S&C coach.

Bryan Nardo will be LB's coach and Sean Baker has moved to Special Teams.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 07:49:18 AM by ytownchief22 »