Author Topic: Assistant Coaches  (Read 26009 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2020, 09:36:20 AM »
The group being assembled by Coach Phillips is really starting to impress a couple points.  They are, for the most part, young, up and comers, from winning programs.  Winning attitude is at least as important as talent.  You need talent, but talent isn't enough, and this group seems to know how to win.  I look at Coach Calhoun taking 3 years to get some of his guys on the same page, and it may well take Coach Phillips the same, but there aren't shortcuts.  Best thing we have going for us right now is the last game of the season.  Nobody expected them to win, and the played hard and did!  The players coming back know they can win.
Everything we've seen so far looks good to me.  We aren't going 10-2 or anything, but I wouldn't rule out a competing for a playoff berth yet either.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2020, 05:17:02 AM »
The group being assembled by Coach Phillips is really starting to impress a couple points.  They are, for the most part, young, up and comers, from winning programs.  Winning attitude is at least as important as talent.  You need talent, but talent isn't enough, and this group seems to know how to win.  I look at Coach Calhoun taking 3 years to get some of his guys on the same page, and it may well take Coach Phillips the same, but there aren't shortcuts.  Best thing we have going for us right now is the last game of the season.  Nobody expected them to win, and the played hard and did!  The players coming back know they can win.
Everything we've seen so far looks good to me.  We aren't going 10-2 or anything, but I wouldn't rule out a competing for a playoff berth yet either.

um....No

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2020, 09:24:55 AM »
No as in no, they aren't young, not up and comers, or no, in that winning as an attitude is important, no as in they can't compete?  no doesn't say much.

um....No

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2020, 01:01:32 PM »
competing for a playoff birth

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2020, 01:39:46 PM »
competing for a playoff birth
IMO, this team looks much better on paper than last year's team, and we were "in the hunt" after 8 games.  I'm kind of a glass half full guy and so I'm optimistic.  I'll take the "over" on 6-6 season repeat and a tournament berth in DP's first season.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2020, 03:05:24 PM »
  In the hunt for what?  Last year's team was 2-6 in the conference.   Even if Phillips is the answer, this will take time.  Look at the top teams in our conference, all are young, and now we add North Dakota.   Patience is going to be needed with an almost completely new staff.  I am pleased that Phillips moved on from all these Mooney coaches.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2020, 11:49:29 PM »
All I see is cheap and unqualified. Hope I'm wrong.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2020, 09:26:17 AM »
Chief,

Think about this.  You could have applied the labels "cheap and unqualified" to all the young assistants that Tressel hired here in the late 80s and the 90s.  Many of them used their time here to forge highly successful careers.  I would use the label "untested on the DI level."  Whether they can rise to the occasion remains to be seen.  Personally, I prefer taking chances with upwardly mobile lower tier assistants rather than DI retreads.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2020, 10:14:47 AM »
I agree wick. Hopefully they can prove me wrong.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2020, 10:17:09 AM »
All I see is cheap and unqualified. Hope I'm wrong.

WOW Chief! You're either trolling Pally and or Penguin Nation to regurgitate this onto the other board or you've become an inside hater?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2020, 10:25:45 AM »
  In the hunt for what?  Last year's team was 2-6 in the conference.   Even if Phillips is the answer, this will take time.  Look at the top teams in our conference, all are young, and now we add North Dakota.   Patience is going to be needed with an almost completely new staff.  I am pleased that Phillips moved on from all these Mooney coaches.
We could have won a couple of those.  This year we are light years ahead at QB over last year.  I'm in on the over vs. last year's 6-6 and in contention for the playoffs.  We'll see.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2020, 03:41:51 PM »
  Don't think Chief is being negative or a hater, but realistic.  How can anyone say we are ahead at QB over last year.  Craycraft is very average, and Waid is unproven.  I hope Waid emerges as a star.

Also, the non-conference schedule is much tougher this year. Yes, I know Akron may have been the worst team in FBS last year, but they are FBS, and likely will be improved.

YSU has so many question marks, beginning at coaching.  Phillips and his staff may emerge as the real deal, but I am not feeling it.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2020, 06:14:36 PM »
  Don't think Chief is being negative or a hater, but realistic.  How can anyone say we are ahead at QB over last year.  Craycraft is very average, and Waid is unproven.  I hope Waid emerges as a star.

Also, the non-conference schedule is much tougher this year. Yes, I know Akron may have been the worst team in FBS last year, but they are FBS, and likely will be improved.

YSU has so many question marks, beginning at coaching.  Phillips and his staff may emerge as the real deal, but I am not feeling it.

IMO Akron will be like our Samford game this year, , a decent test but we should win, I’ve seen on their message boards they they had a lot of transfers out.

In terms of QB, I’m pretty convinced Crenshaw will be the starter from day 1.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2020, 09:47:26 PM »
Just being realistic on my thoughts, nothing else.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2020, 09:02:51 AM »
The negativity on the board is amazing to me.  If you gave Urban Meyer an under 125# team to coach, he'd have a winning record the first season and win the championship by the second season. Why?  Because he can coach.  I remember the negativity from Columbus when they hired Tressel because he has no 1A experience.  I believe a couple years later that went away.  Why?  Because he can coach.   Football is a sum zero game.  (all teams added together equal .500  Not one game over or under)  Look at the records and accomplishments of the new coordinators.  Why are there records so good?  Because they can coach! 
Where exactly do you guys think we are going to get assistants (or HC's) from?  Maybe Luke Fickle is ready to move on from Cinn and take over for Bo?  In large part because of the negativity in the Mahoning Valley NOTHING seems to be good enough.  You read this blog and you'd think we were 2-10 last year and they hired me to coach the team! 
Sorry, the negative attitude drains me.  I will go to the games, I will continue to cheer for the red and white, but not sure how much of this I will read.