Author Topic: Gail and Terry Moore Endow Scholarship To Alma Mater  (Read 7980 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Gail and Terry Moore Endow Scholarship To Alma Mater
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2020, 08:46:35 PM »
It was very good Division 2 basketball.

That team/era had five players that are in the YSU hall of fame.

1.Terry Moore
2.Gerald Parks
3.Jeff Covington
4.Tony Mitchell
5.Phil Gaston.

I posted in the past that every team we play in our league was D2 in the past with the exception of Detroit.  I don't think the talent now through out the league is better now than in the 70s .  I believe it's all relative.

Wow, I didn’t remember they played together.
I still remember watching Tony Michell warmed up shooting the 3 ball before the game. He must have made over 70%of them. Covington was great on the low post although he was only listed at 6’7”. We stuffed the ballot box sending him to the McDonald MBB team playing in Vegas on TV (the only D2 player on the team) and he missed a uncontested dunk.
Phil Gaston had the deadly turn around jump shot from the right baseline 10’ from the basket. I think he was from Girard.

Sometime I wish Naz could shot like Covington 8 feet from the basket. Covington could do it either hand.

I believe Park was the shooting guard and Moore was the point guard.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Gail and Terry Moore Endow Scholarship To Alma Mater
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2020, 06:25:20 PM »
Double ET, Tony Mitchell could shoot the 3 but unfortunately there was no 3 point line when he played.

Your right about stuffing the ballot box for Jeff.   It was the pizza hut all star game and Jeff got his shot blocked by Maurice Cheeks (NBA All star ) who was only 6-1 .

Phil Gaston was a tough guy,  He did tell the Vindicator that he wasn't getting the ball enough.  I always wondered how Coach Rosselli and the rest of team felt about that.