Author Topic: Detroit Mercy Game  (Read 5172 times)

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Detroit Mercy Game
« on: February 13, 2020, 09:07:44 PM »
Penguins win on the road

ValleyTalk

Re: Detroit Mercy Game
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 10:15:48 PM »
The Houner leading YSU to a big victory on the road! Still in 3rd place with 15 wins already!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 10:17:52 PM by ValleyTalk »

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 11:27:22 PM »
This game kind of reminded me of the first game with Detroit...YSU got up big and controlled the game, but Detroit came back.  I was starting to have flashbacks of the UIC game and blowing that big lead in the final mins.  Davis is just so hard to contain and so dangerous when he gets going.  He single-handedly got them back in the game. 

Thought YSU played well offensively and shot the ball well.  It was to give up over 70, get out-rebounded and win.  Thought Covington and Hamperian were tremendous.  Quisenberry closed it out again at the foul line.  2 game changing plays I felt was the missed dunk by Detroit and the move Hamperian made to get out of trouble and convert the old fashioned 3-pt play that was initial called a charge.

Seemed like the officials really let them play...wasn't a lot of whistles but it was called equal on both sides.  In fact, both teams had 12 fouls total. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 05:57:31 AM »
Almost gave away a double digit lead with little over 2 min in the game.
In that sequence, gave up a 3 ball, a turn over by Q and a 4 point play had us down to a 2 point lead.
Q saved us on 4 straight FT.
Covington was tremendous (good defense, driving penetration to the hoop and back cut to getting open under the basket.
The guard from Detroit reminds me of Curry of GS.great player.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 08:40:42 AM »
It's encouraging to see some of these down the stretch games turn into W's instead of L's.  The last home game against CSU had some anxious moments, but DQ hit a couple drives and then 4 straight FT.  I HATE giving away games at the foul line.  Nice to win a couple!!  Nice to have a PG that can draw, and then MAKE FTs!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 10:23:56 AM »
The UIC and Milwaukee games still sting, but a lot of these other close games YSU has pulled out would have been losses in the past.  There hasn't been too many bad games this year, Coach has had them ready to play and have started fast in most games this year.  The 2nd half has been concerning even back in a lot of those non-conference wins that YSU gave big leads away.  I feel that's been one of the biggest concerns this year is playing with leads.  It's interesting to note YSU is now +60 in the first half but -12 in the 2nd half including OT.  YSU has given up 90 more points in the 2nd half compared to the 1st half.

Wright St. plays UIC and Milwaukee and Green Bay play each other.  If YSU could knock off Oakland Saturday, they could get some separation in the standings from some of the mid-pack teams.   

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 11:32:34 AM »
A very nice win at Detroit! We again almost blew a 12 point lead with only 3 minutes remaining in the game, then Antoine Davis (Detroit) scored 3 straight 3 pointers. This guy can score quickly!! The nice thing we have 15 wins and won our 4th game on the road. Quiz's foul shots were critical at the end.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 01:56:58 PM »
We have made progress from past years.  But without DQ we would be in a bad way.  He is the one down the stretch you can count on to make shots from the field and thank God, free throws.  Glad we have him.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 06:25:55 PM »
It's always nice to win on the road.  My only criticism is that we over passed on a few occasions .   Guys get by their defender and need to shoot the 12 footer instead of the too close pass in traffic.

Like the other posters props to Garrett Covington and Geoff Hamperian.   Love when Garrett's attacking the basket.   DQ didn't have a big scoring game but he had some great assists.

Davis for Detroit was unconscious.  The game would have been a blow out if he would of shot his usual 30 something percent  from the field.

Any thoughts on why Foster and Pedersen are getting 0 time ?

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 06:43:58 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 07:16:49 PM »
It's always nice to win on the road.  My only criticism is that we over passed on a few occasions .   Guys get by their defender and need to shoot the 12 footer instead of the too close pass in traffic.

Like the other posters props to Garrett Covington and Geoff Hamperian.   Love when Garrett's attacking the basket.   DQ didn't have a big scoring game but he had some great assists.

Davis for Detroit was unconscious.  The game would have been a blow out if he would of shot his usual 30 something percent  from the field.

Any thoughts on why Foster and Pedersen are getting 0 time ?

Good things definitely happen when Covington is active and drives.

Foster hasn't played much in league games.  He impressed me at times in non-conference play.  He's only played a total of 20 mins in league games with 12 of that coming in the Northern KY blowout.  He's only scored 2 points with that coming from the foul line.  Strange thing is he scored in 9 of the 10 non-conference games he played in.

Ola is definitely disappointing so I'm not really surprised he hasn't been getting any mins.  He's struggled when he's played and can't stay out of foul trouble.  I was really excited about him at the start of last season then he struggled then broke his hand twice in the summer and I'm sure that was a setback.  Have to wonder if he'll be on the team next year.

Also, I had been wondering about Muhamed Konate.  He got in a few games early in the year then he wasn't dressing for several games then he disappeared.  I noticed he's no longer on the roster.